Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2022, 11:28 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vabeachgirlNYC View Post
I heard earlier that the truck the 13 year old was driving had a flat tire before it hit the other car. He should never have been driving that truck at 13 years old. 100% preventable tragedy. I hope that father is charged. Such a sad, unnecessary loss of life.
One of the front tires was a spare and it blew either right before or during the collision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2022, 11:45 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,274,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
It appears the father, and the 13 year old driver, are both dead along with all the golfers.
two of the students survived

Old 03-18-2022, 04:56 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,561,054 times
How tragic.

I wonder how long that kid had been driving and wonder why his father wasn't behind the wheel.

I saw there were go fund me's set up, one was at almost $125k already. Crazy how some bring in lots of cash while another, barely had $12k.

Go fund me's are a peeve of mine, especially in cases like this that get press.

Old 03-18-2022, 06:41 AM

2,161 posts, read 1,153,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
It appears the father, and the 13 year old driver, are both dead along with all the golfers.
That's sad. The news story I saw did not name those that died yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Wow, did anyone read the article? Dad is dead - won't be charged. Son also dead - doesn't feel a thing.
The names had not been released yet in the news story I had watched.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMansLands View Post
It was a spare tire, so maybe thinner, like a doughnut, and it blew out as the accident occurred.
Spare tires are not meant for high speeds.
They said the tire blew out right before the accident. I don't know how they know that unless the truck had sensors that record those type of incidents.
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
One of the front tires was a spare and it blew either right before or during the collision.
The news said right before. Also speed was a factor. Speeding could easily cause a donut tire to blow.
Quote:
13-year-old was driving truck that struck van in West Texas, killing 9
https://youtu.be/cP-dUYvvWHI

Old 03-18-2022, 07:53 AM

22,334 posts, read 29,432,497 times
So beyond horrible and could have been prevented.

However, I was driving at 12 myself but never on any type of main road, etc

Old 03-18-2022, 08:08 AM

8,312 posts, read 3,927,691 times
I saw where this two-lane highway had a 75 MPH speed limit. Most folks do at least 5 mph over - these vehicles were probably doing 80 at impact.

The spare probably disintegrated at that high speed - I think most are rated at less that 50 MPH. And then an inexperienced 13 year old at the wheel sealed their fate.

Old 03-18-2022, 08:15 AM

68 posts, read 28,773 times
I can't believe my dad used to let me drive his Cadillac around town at 14 years old. Of course my mom was freaking out the entire way as I was swerving all over the place. But I do think the experience helped me get my driver's license at 16.

If the tire blew out as someone mentioned, maybe the father would've been better equipped to handle it thus avoiding the tragedy. I've had my tire blow out half a dozen times all on the freeway and each time I was able to avoid an accident and pull over safely. I give all credit to many years of driving experience as if it happened when I was 14, I wouldn't know what to do.

Old 03-18-2022, 10:58 AM

50,783 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vabeachgirlNYC View Post
I heard earlier that the truck the 13 year old was driving had a flat tire before it hit the other car. He should never have been driving that truck at 13 years old. 100% preventable tragedy. I hope that father is charged. Such a sad, unnecessary loss of life.
I think having young teens drive trucks is more common in these kind of farming communities, very rural areas. In a Mennonite community they don't see teens as kids as much as larger society does, and I don't know if they respect our laws with regard to things like this. I agree he shouldn't have been driving but I'm sure there are more like him in rural areas.

It also sounds like the speed limit was dangerously high.

"The speed limit at the crash site is 75 mph (120 kph), he said."
(from the linked article). We don't even have 75mph on major highways here.

Old 03-18-2022, 11:30 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
I predict a lawsuit.

Old 03-18-2022, 11:47 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,306,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I predict a lawsuit.
Well there should be in a situation like this. There may not be one though and I will explain why:

I am confident that whatever insurance carrier insured the pickup is willing to pay its limits. Its going to very inadequate coverage for seven dead people and a couple of surviving people. Not much to sue over.

If someone other than the adult in the pickup and the thirteen year old are responsible for this crash I have no idea who that might be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events