Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2022, 11:59 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times

Advertisements

Many 10-14 year olds are driving Tractors and farm equipment even today. Back in the 60's and earlier the age to get a Drivers License in TX and many rural states was 14. My older brother had a license and drove a pickup working a job at 14. By my time, they raised the age to 16. Many 13-14 year olds still dive off road on ranches.

Many of the Farm and Ranch kids are much more mature and advanced than city kids.

But this kid should not have been on the highway. Wonder if dad had problems driving like DUI's, no License, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2022, 12:01 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post

I am confident that whatever insurance carrier insured the pickup is willing to pay its limits.
The Truck owner may not have had any insurance.

Who will be sued is the College, who owned the Van. Go after the people with the biggest $$.

Old 03-18-2022, 02:20 PM

50,783 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Well there should be in a situation like this. There may not be one though and I will explain why:

I am confident that whatever insurance carrier insured the pickup is willing to pay its limits. Its going to very inadequate coverage for seven dead people and a couple of surviving people. Not much to sue over.

If someone other than the adult in the pickup and the thirteen year old are responsible for this crash I have no idea who that might be.
I don't know that insurance will pay out at all if an unlicensed driver was operating the vehicle. I'm not sure who there is to sue, with the truck's owner and his son both killed in the accident.

I would bet there are multiple Go Fund Me's for the surviving victims, hopefully they will raise a lot. Maybe the school, golf associations, etc will contribute as well.

Old 03-18-2022, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post

Who will be sued is the College, who owned the Van. Go after the people with the biggest $$.
But how on earth can they claim it's the school's fault? There was nothing wrong with the van or the way it was being driven.

Old 03-18-2022, 02:31 PM

2,690 posts, read 1,613,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
But how on earth can they claim it's the school's fault? There was nothing wrong with the van or the way it was being driven.
Right. The only one to sue successfully is the estate of the father, which is the mother's/wife's money, and all she has to do is file bankruptcy because the payout will be so much more than she owns.

Old 03-18-2022, 02:50 PM

8,893 posts, read 5,371,263 times
Quote:
I did see some reports that some of the people who died in the van were not wearing seatbelts.

Old 03-18-2022, 03:31 PM

8,893 posts, read 5,371,263 times
Quote:
Many 10-14 year olds are driving Tractors and farm equipment even today. Back in the 60's and earlier the age to get a Drivers License in TX and many rural states was 14. My older brother had a license and drove a pickup working a job at 14. By my time, they raised the age to 16. Many 13-14 year olds still dive off road on ranches.

Many of the Farm and Ranch kids are much more mature and advanced than city kids.

But this kid should not have been on the highway. Wonder if dad had problems driving like DUI's, no License, etc.
While I agree this kid should not have been driving it also appears one of the tires on the truck blew out. Turns out it was a spare. Spare tires tend not to be as sturdy as regular tires and are less able to handle high speeds.

Old 03-18-2022, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
I did see some reports that some of the people who died in the van were not wearing seatbelts.
But while students, they were also all adults. IDK, seems like a stretch.

Old 03-18-2022, 03:43 PM

1,142 posts, read 1,143,215 times
Quote:
I don't know that insurance will pay out at all if an unlicensed driver was operating the vehicle.
Insurance won't pay out if this is a standard insurance policy.

Old 03-18-2022, 04:01 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,306,076 times
Quote:

It is possible there is uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage on the van. However, I can't imagine why the college or the driver of the van would have any responsibility for this accident.

State laws may vary. Where I live, the thirteen year old would be treated as a permissive user of the vehicle under insurance policies here even though he was too young to legally drive. In other words, innocent third parties injured by his actions would still have recourse against whatever liability insurance exists. The adult in the car would be responsible for negligently entrusting the vehicle to an underage driver.

Terrible tragedy. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure in this situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events