Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2022, 12:00 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,696,773 times

Advertisements

Surely those of you who are insisting that the homeless gratefully gobble down anything and everything that some kind soul chooses to give them are aware of the particularly nasty trend of giving food that's...inedible?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2022, 12:31 PM

130,099 posts, read 12,078,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Surely those of you who are insisting that the homeless gratefully gobble down anything and everything that some kind soul chooses to give them are aware of the particularly nasty trend of giving food that's...inedible?
Yes that is understood, but many of them do not want food anyhow, just cash to buy a fix. Plenty of soup kitchens in many towns

Old 03-24-2022, 02:54 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,696,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
Yes that is understood, but many of them do not want food anyhow, just cash to buy a fix. Plenty of soup kitchens in many towns
I know that. It's possible to understand both at the same time. I was speaking directly to comments like this:

Quote:
The guy says, "WTF you expect, a filet mignon? F'k you."

Old 03-24-2022, 03:00 PM

5,655 posts, read 3,141,549 times
I'm a little disgusted with the Tik Tok 'influencer'. She probably knew full well that the man with the sign didn't really want food, but she thought she was some kind of investigative reporter exposing this guy's deception. Did she think she'd exposed something no one else knew about? Did she think she was a 20/20 reporter or something?

And she was using this guy for 'likes'. She's as much a Karen as any Karens out there. I think she's lucky that he didn't take her food and throw it back at her.

Old 03-24-2022, 03:29 PM

2,161 posts, read 1,150,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
I don't know where you live but that is not true in most areas. Even in big cities. There are actually a small amount that can be too far away for some of the homeless, are only one day a week, only open for a few hours, etc. For a lot of homeless it can be impossible to get to a soup kitchen because of where they are located.

Old 03-24-2022, 06:44 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,467,928 times
I wouldn't eat something a stranger on the street handed to me. Who the heck would? Why expect others to chow down with gratitude? That food preparer could have cockroaches and mice running all over her kitchen. If she really wants to help, she should send money to the homeless mission and soup kitchen. Every city has them.

Old 03-24-2022, 07:12 PM

23,861 posts, read 33,529,254 times
I don't know how anyone can even give an opinion of what either was doing because the video is so short.

Apparently this is in New Orleans where there should be help for him if he wants or needs help.

There are a lot of dishonest people out there who take advantage of whatever they can. Some on Welfare will sell their food stamps for cash to buy cigarettes, alcohol, drugs or whatever else they need instead of food.You just never know who is there trying to game someone.

Old 03-24-2022, 08:55 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,467,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I don't know how anyone can even give an opinion of what either was doing because the video is so short.

Apparently this is in New Orleans where there should be help for him if he wants or needs help.

There are a lot of dishonest people out there who take advantage of whatever they can. Some on Welfare will sell their food stamps for cash to buy cigarettes, alcohol, drugs or whatever else they need instead of food.You just never know who is there trying to game someone.
Exactly.

Also, on the flip side of the issue, you don't know if the food being offered to you is safe to eat. People have been known to poison food. Who remembers when the cult group - the Rajneeshees - poisoned an entire town by tampering with their food?

And we all know who poisoned the "Koolaid".

Imagine how popular a nutball would be within the TikTok world if they shot a video of someone puking up the lye they sprinkled into their homemade Chicken Fricassee.
In this case, the woman's gesture probably came from a pure of heart. But ya don't really know these days, especially when those intentions come with a camera and a filmmaker.

Old 03-25-2022, 08:40 AM

5,655 posts, read 3,141,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post

I was wondering if this was in New Orleans! I thought the guy in the gold paint was familiar. I've been to New Orleans 4 times, and love the city. I've seen the gold guy every time. He poses with people for pictures, for money. I have no idea what he charges, but he always has a crowd around him. This is in Jackson Square.

Old 03-25-2022, 09:54 AM

37,593 posts, read 45,960,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
You all of you know that just because someone is begging on the street, that doesn't mean they are homeless?
Of course not. There are many rings of scammers here where I live. I have seen them switch out with the next one on the schedule. We followed one leaving their "station" and she walked back to her big fancy truck and drove off. It seems that it is easier for them to pretend to be homeless and beg, than to get a job. I am sure that there are some that are actually in need, but who the hell can tell the difference?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events