Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2022, 01:02 AM

29,536 posts, read 22,813,842 times

Advertisements

He saw them filming, good for him for not being a prop to some social media narcissist wanting views and subs. I cringe at these people continuing to use homeless for their own gain, this annoying trend has been going on for a very long time.

I wouldn't trust food from a stranger either by the way.

https://www.dailydot.com/irl/homeles...e-food-tiktok/

Quote:
Viral TikTok footage shows a woman try to give food to man experiencing homelessness, but the man declined.

Ashley Smith (@ashleychabli) shared the footage with the on-screen caption, “Tried to feed a homeless man (whose) sign said he was ‘hungry’ …. he declined.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXQ9wGKcVLQ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2022, 08:51 AM

16,582 posts, read 10,733,054 times
To the Tik-Toker, I would say, "Stop using homeless people as props for you to earn your do-gooder likes." And to the homeless guy, I'd say, "Beggars can't be choosers. Eat what you're offered or stop asking."

Some would-be givers will be worried that if they just give money, the guy will use it for drugs. And homeless people do have the legitimate concern that some nasty people might try to sabotage the food before donating it. The solution to both problems is for the donor to take the homeless person into a convenience store or fast-food place, let the guy choose what he wants, and buy it for him.

Old 03-24-2022, 09:22 AM

23,913 posts, read 33,731,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
To the Tik-Toker, I would say, "Stop using homeless people as props for you to earn your do-gooder likes." And to the homeless guy, I'd say, "Beggars can't be choosers. Eat what you're offered or stop asking."

Some would-be givers will be worried that if they just give money, the guy will use it for drugs. And homeless people do have the legitimate concern that some nasty people might try to sabotage the food before donating it. The solution to both problems is for the donor to take the homeless person into a convenience store or fast-food place, let the guy choose what he wants, and buy it for him.

Agree, who knows who to believe? Some of these beggers make a lot of money begging like that.

I don't do tik tok so can't look at her videos to see what content she has. I'm not going to judge her on this one video alone. Maybe she's tried feeding him before? I don't doubt he's a regular there.

I would also offer to buy it at the place if he's that hungry, wonder what he'd do? I won't get a gift card because he could turn around and sell the gift card for cash. What I buy would have to be on sale which is usually through an app where you have to give the code within a certain time frame.

Old 03-24-2022, 09:28 AM

1,594 posts, read 934,750 times
I once saw a guy on the train trying to give a sandwich to a homeless guy panhandling saying he's hungry.

The homeless guy says, "Man, I don't eat that sh*t."

The guy says, "WTF you expect, a filet mignon? F'k you."

Old 03-24-2022, 09:55 AM

9,267 posts, read 6,420,378 times
She could have been offering a particular food that the homeless guy did not like. Everyone has food preferences, homeless or not. Maybe the homeless guy considered hunger more tolerable that eating particular food(s) he dislikes.

Old 03-24-2022, 10:37 AM

131,113 posts, read 12,250,818 times
Some years ago, I was at a fundraiser in San Francisco. I brought along a newcomer to the city., It was at a nice establishment, fancy appetizers etc. The windows were open as it was a warm day. A homeless man came to the window & said he needed food, so the naive girl went & fixed him a plate of good food, & handed it to him through the window. Instead of eating it, he threw it in the gutter.
Most homeless people get plenty of food options, many soup kitchens etc. They want money to feed their habit of choice.

Old 03-24-2022, 10:39 AM

2,161 posts, read 1,166,834 times
I can't stand people like that. I don't blame the homeless guy for saying no. The homeless have been a target for pranks for views for a long time. Some of the pranks are so disgusting I won't link them here.

This one made the news in 2019. It was a youtuber in Spain who went around giving homeless oreos where the cream was replaced with toothpaste. Justice was served in this case.
https://youtu.be/e79AMjLgppg

Old 03-24-2022, 10:44 AM

32,732 posts, read 48,355,590 times
You all of you know that just because someone is begging on the street, that doesn't mean they are homeless?

Old 03-24-2022, 10:56 AM

2,161 posts, read 1,166,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
You all of you know that just because someone is begging on the street, that doesn't mean they are homeless?
I'm pretty sure everyone is aware of that. I've noticed here and in NYC the true homeless are not the ones begging.

Old 03-24-2022, 11:19 AM

17,537 posts, read 15,646,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
The solution to both problems is for the donor to take the homeless person into a convenience store or fast-food place, let the guy choose what he wants, and buy it for him.
I used to work in a nice corporate office downtown Orlando. There were a few nearby "convenience stores" where homeless would gather/sleep/etc. When approached, if I had cash to spare, that was what I did. Knowing damned well that they weren't looking to spend everything they got on FOOD, I would ask them if they were trying to get a beer or whatever. If that were the case, and I had the cash for it, I had no issue with buying them their requested food item (usually a cheap donut or sandwich) and their 24oz can of Natty Ice.
Giving them straight cash has always been a no-go for me, as I am assuming it would be spent on the cheapest crack rock they can find.
If they're hungry, I'll go in with them. If they want a beer to go with, BE HONEST.

But this behavior as a whole by these social media morons is disgusting. It's repulsive on both sides, really, as you pointed out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events