Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2022, 03:12 PM

23,865 posts, read 33,545,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Don't get me started. There were other missing women at the same time as Gabby Petito who didn't get national coverage because they weren't rich pretty white girls.

There's no way to know at 14 if this kid would have been a football star or not. And whether he would have or not doesn't matter. His parents will grieve to their grave.

We had a NJ gal missing around the same time, she was Asian. They finally found her in woods.

Not every case can have the public involved like Gabby's case was.

I agree that we don't know if he would have been a football star but his parents feel he would have had an NFL career. That is part of their lawsuit, the lack of his earning potential as an NFL pro.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2022, 10:39 PM

88,560 posts, read 84,738,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
We had a NJ gal missing around the same time, she was Asian. They finally found her in woods.

I agree that we don't know if he would have been a football star but his parents feel he would have had an NFL career. That is part of their lawsuit, the lack of his earning potential as an NFL pro.
Gee, ya think a lawyer might've come up with that? Those people are like sharks.

Old 06-06-2022, 02:45 AM

2,912 posts, read 1,248,434 times
Quote:
Gee, ya think a lawyer might've come up with that? Those people are like sharks.
Not like sharks.....they are sharks.

A co-worker was recently in a car accident where she was struck and at no fault. She told me she got phone calls from SEVENTEEN different lawyers in the first 24 hours.

Old 06-06-2022, 09:30 AM

17,155 posts, read 15,366,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkHammer View Post

A co-worker was recently in a car accident where she was struck and at no fault. She told me she got phone calls from SEVENTEEN different lawyers in the first 24 hours.
lol... A long long time ago, I made a silly gaffe and got myself in jail for 8 hours. I got calls and letters from at least 50 law firms within the week. None of them got hired. I sought one who didn't reach out.

Old 06-06-2022, 11:03 AM

Quote:

Some years ago, probably in the Eighties when this phenomenon was really taking shape, the New Yorker did an article on city lawyers involved in the practice of "ambulance chasing".

The next month a letter appeared from a partner in one of the law firms mentioned. He said, "We resent being referred to as ambulance chasers. We try to get there before the ambulance arrives."

Old 06-06-2022, 11:18 AM

50,748 posts, read 36,447,875 times
Quote:
Even at 14, he already had scouts and recruiters coming down to look at him, so IMO it's a fair argument that he was on track for a possible NFL career.

Old 06-06-2022, 12:24 PM

17,155 posts, read 15,366,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Even at 14, he already had scouts and recruiters coming down to look at him, so IMO it's a fair argument that he was on track for a possible NFL career.
Eh.. It's the nature of sports nowadays... My 13 year old son has scouts watching him. He goes to events called "showcases." It's kind of the norm for any kid who plays top level sports. 99.9% of those who partake in these scouting events don't "go pro."

Old 06-06-2022, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
Eh.. It's the nature of sports nowadays... My 13 year old son has scouts watching him. He goes to events called "showcases." It's kind of the norm for any kid who plays top level sports. 99.9% of those who partake in these scouting events don't "go pro."
Even when they do, the chance they will make the big time is slim. My cousin's son was picked up by the SF Giants. A coworkers son by Cincinnati. Both are still in the minors, one for about 5 years now, and they may never get past that.

Old 06-06-2022, 02:18 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,711,783 times
Idk if I'd call Benjamin Crump or Robert Hillyard run-of-the-mill ambulance chasers.

The lawsuit doesn't hinge on Tyre's potential future earnings; it's just one factor. It's normal for attorneys to throw everything they can out there in this stage of the process.

Old 06-07-2022, 03:21 AM

23,865 posts, read 33,545,704 times
Quote:

Lawyers in my part of Jersey are bad, I got a ticket that cost about $25, no license points, it was more of a joke... I can't count how many mailings I got from attorneys to fight the ticket. It was crazy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post

At 14 the recruiters were for college football, even now it's early for that.

Way too early to think about the NFL. So much can happen between now and playing college football. A friend of my brother in law has a brother that went from his NJ high school to playing for Kansas College. He had head hunters, actually made it playing for the Rams but his football career was cut very short by an injury. He then acted in a few 80's movies but that didn't go far either. He ended up dying young.

He was a big guy like this kid. Sometimes, the bigger they are the faster they fall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post

Thanks for the input, that percent doesn't surprise me. You figure the NFL teams only have so many vacancies to fill, especially these days with so many of them retiring when they're older.

Quote:
Even when they do, the chance they will make the big time is slim. My cousin's son was picked up by the SF Giants. A coworkers son by Cincinnati. Both are still in the minors, one for about 5 years now, and they may never get past that.

Thanks for confirming how hard it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Idk if I'd call Benjamin Crump or Robert Hillyard run-of-the-mill ambulance chasers.

The lawsuit doesn't hinge on Tyre's potential future earnings; it's just one factor. It's normal for attorneys to throw everything they can out there in this stage of the process.

While it's only one factor, his (potential) NFL career was mentioned very early; IIRC by his parents before they hired attorneys. It was then mentioned again.

I'll be surprised if they don't try to use it to try to get more money, saying that he would have made millions per year playing for an NFL team.

I wonder if the public will be able to follow the lawsuit until it's finished. My guess is they will settle quietly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events