Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2022, 09:18 PM

17,155 posts, read 15,366,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Yes, or the company should have gotten an older more experienced employee to do this job. Of course, that would probably have cost them more money.

Either way, the company is responsible legally when its employee makes a careless decision. It was careless to seat a passenger who was 100 pounds over the acceptable weight.
Right. The employee had a job, and did not follow protocol — he/she allowed a CLEARLY oversized person to board the ride.

The primary fault, in my opinion however, falls on the person who made the harness adjustments. THAT is what caused the ride to operate with the oversized rider.
Was it the young operator who made the adjustment? Someone did… And it should not have ever been done. As an engineer myself, I know for fact that every single millimeter, kW, gram, etc., is accounted for when designing any sort of project. The manual had guidelines and preventative measures for a reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2022, 10:16 PM

1,147 posts, read 1,402,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post

All the ride owners had to do was post the weight restrictions that are in the operations manual.

If they would have done this, it would have shielded them from much of the liability.

Old 06-15-2022, 06:37 AM
exm

3,720 posts, read 1,779,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geebabe View Post
Not 40 lbs. heavier! He was close to 100 lbs heavier than the max weight.
He weighed 383. Max weight is 287. Take 383 minus 287 and it equals 96 lbs over.

Those numbers came from the link above.

https://nypost.com/2022/06/13/tyre-s...bs-over-limit/

With all due respect, but do you think that the teenage operator could guess he was almost 400lbs instead of 300lbs? When I see someone obese I have no clue how much they weigh.

Old 06-15-2022, 06:41 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,134,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post
With all due respect, but do you think that the teenage operator could guess he was almost 400lbs instead of 300lbs? When I see someone obese I have no clue how much they weigh.
Most people can't, let alone a teen. Ever hear them discussing how old adults are, it can be pretty hilarious how far off they are sometimes.
I think there is a huge problem with a manual that leaves any kind of safety precaution up to personal judgement.

Old 06-15-2022, 07:10 AM

17,155 posts, read 15,366,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Most people can't, let alone a teen. Ever hear them discussing how old adults are, it can be pretty hilarious how far off they are sometimes.
I think there is a huge problem with a manual that leaves any kind of safety precaution up to personal judgement.
Sure... BUT, a sign indicating weight limits at the queue entrance would absolutely remove a lot of liability from all involved. A simple sign.

Old 06-15-2022, 07:54 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,953,679 times
But a sign relies on the honor system; you'd have to have a sign AND a scale and weigh each rider before boarding. Even then you'd probably be sued for "discrimination" and "body shaming" by these same lawyers.

Old 06-15-2022, 08:15 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,295,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
But a sign relies on the honor system; you'd have to have a sign AND a scale and weigh each rider before boarding. Even then you'd probably be sued for "discrimination" and "body shaming" by these same lawyers.
There are no laws prohibiting discrimination based on weight--unless one is fat because of a recognized disability. Even that would be a very dicey basis for a lawsuit because a high weight might preclude people from being able to perform some essential tasks in an occupation. "Body-shaming" is absolutely not a legal basis for suing anyone. Filing such a lawsuit would likely get a lawyer hit by the court with monetary sanctions.

I'm trying to read between the lines with your posts. I seem to hear you saying that the only one responsible here is this fourteen year old or perhaps the parents who allowed him to go to this amusement park? Frankly, you seem to be the only one here who holds such a point of view.

Old 06-15-2022, 08:33 AM

I've said repeatedly that whoever made it POSSIBLE to override the safety system put in place by the ride designer is probably legally responsible. I just don't know who that was.

Last edited by otterhere; 06-15-2022 at 09:09 AM..

Old 06-15-2022, 09:04 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,171,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
An update on the 14 year old. He was 383 lbs. The max weight for the ride is 287 lbs
Probably not a Weight Scale by the ride. Big Boy probably told young inexperienced operator "Yeah Dude, I'm 285". He probably took big boys word.

Since no one ever lies about their weight.

Old 06-15-2022, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Probably not a Weight Scale by the ride. Big Boy probably told young inexperienced operator "Yeah Dude, I'm 285". He probably took big boys word.

Since no one ever lies about their weight.
I mean, common sense would tell you that if you're too big for other rides, you'll likely be too big for ALL rides, but the kid was only 14. Maybe if an adult had been along, he or she would have pointed that out and/or intervened.

I do wonder how amusement parks handle this since people weighing 300+ pounds are not uncommon...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events