Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2022, 12:27 PM

1,742 posts, read 958,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
I happened to read an obituary recently of a lady who passed away in her mid 80's. Maybe a month or so before her death she had gone on a tour of mountain state parks with her daughters - going to welcome centers, hiking a short way on nature trails, seeing the gorgeous views, eating in nice restaurants, staying in nice hotels. There were pictures posted of her with her daughters on that trip and you could see that they were having fun.

Was it risky for them to take their mom on that road trip adventure? Maybe. Do they regret doing so? No, I think that trip meant the world to all of them.
If the elderly lady was with her daughters, taking short hikes on established trails during good weather, and staying in hotels, then this isn’t even remotely comparable to the couple that got lost in Nevada. You could slip in the bathtub at home, hit your head, and die. There are risks everywhere. The difference is the degree of risk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2022, 02:30 PM

15,419 posts, read 9,069,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheerbliss View Post
It does tell what happened to the first couple if you read to the end. But the way it's written gives the impression that the first couple died out in the wilderness, but makes you wonder how so many details were known about their misadventure.
Thanks, I didn't see that there was a page 2. Yeah she survived for 48 days inside the van. He died almost immediately postholing through the snow to get help. What I would like to know is if he had his cell phone with him. I presume he did. In which case his actions probably made some sense. He was trying to climb to the top of the mountain when he died. If he had made it to the top he would have probably had a better chance than not, of getting reception from some cellphone tower in the area.

I saw this picture in the comments on that article. It might be the best GPS gone wrong picture ever.

Old 04-11-2022, 04:30 PM

9,453 posts, read 5,212,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
Can't understand that either. Once they saw the "road" - why not go back to the last town and ask about the correct route or get a map?
That's been my thought all along. I mean, you get to a gnarly road and most sensible people would say '....mmmmm....I don't think so, Mama, we need to turn this thing around.' especially in an RV towing a car!

Lessons learned here people.

Old 04-11-2022, 04:37 PM

2,161 posts, read 1,152,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
That's been my thought all along. I mean, you get to a gnarly road and most sensible people would say '....mmmmm....I don't think so, Mama, we need to turn this thing around.' especially in an RV towing a car!

Lessons learned here people.
I think someone already posted this but they probably couldn't get turned around. Which is why they unloaded and took their car to try and get some help.

Old 04-11-2022, 05:23 PM

17,368 posts, read 16,511,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralZone View Post
If the elderly lady was with her daughters, taking short hikes on established trails during good weather, and staying in hotels, then this isn’t even remotely comparable to the couple that got lost in Nevada. You could slip in the bathtub at home, hit your head, and die. There are risks everywhere. The difference is the degree of risk.
She was half way across the country in mountainous areas visiting a variety of parks. She had a ball doing it. Yet, she died a short time after arriving back home from her trip. I don't know the circumstances of her death but judging from the pictures that were posted she was still reasonably active when she went on it. I suppose one could take a negative view and say "Well, if she hadn't put so much stress on her body she would still be here" and maybe that's true. But maybe she would have quietly passed away at home anyway.

I'll bet that if she could do it over again, she would still take that trip. No regrets.

Old 04-11-2022, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vabeachgirlNYC View Post
I think someone already posted this but they probably couldn't get turned around. Which is why they unloaded and took their car to try and get some help.
Apparently they didn't think to grab food, drinks or blankets to take with them from the trailer. They must have thought that getting back to the main road would be no big deal. But then the car got stuck and that's when they got into trouble.

Old 04-11-2022, 05:31 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,269,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vabeachgirlNYC View Post
But why turn off to that road in the first place.

I've been up unpaved "mountain" roads before but that was because we had to go up there for a work project. And we knew what to expect. 4-wheel drive heavy duty trucks etc.

Old 04-11-2022, 05:33 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,269,705 times
Quote:
She was half way across the country in mountainous areas visiting a variety of parks. She had a ball doing it. Yet, she died a short time after arriving back home from her trip. I don't know the circumstances of her death but judging from the pictures that were posted she was still reasonably active when she went on it. I suppose one could take a negative view and say "Well, if she hadn't put so much stress on her body she would still be here" and maybe that's true. But maybe she would have quietly passed away at home anyway.

I'll bet that if she could do it over again, she would still take that trip. No regrets.
wasn't the same situation at all. She had younger folks to look after her - they were not all elderly and ill driving an RV out in the middle of nowhere.

Old 04-11-2022, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
wasn't the same situation at all. She had younger folks to look after her - they were not all elderly and ill driving an RV out in the middle of nowhere.
The woman who went on the trip with her daughters was 85, maybe a little older. This couple was only 69/72. Yes, they had health issues but many people their age travel and that includes people with mobility issues. They were independent adults making their own decisions and they were on their way to meet up with friends, plus their adult children knew that they were traveling.

No way am I going to scold retirees into bringing along a younger person to watch over them.

Old 04-11-2022, 06:41 PM

2,161 posts, read 1,152,314 times
Quote:
Apparently they didn't think to grab food, drinks or blankets to take with them from the trailer. They must have thought that getting back to the main road would be no big deal. But then the car got stuck and that's when they got into trouble.
I don't get that either because I was taught to always carry emergency "stuff" by my dad. I always keep a case of water in my car. IDK why but I just do. I also have a bug out bag in my car and on my motorcycle. You never know if you may need it so better to be smart and prepared than not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events