Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2022, 10:22 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,747 posts, read 58,102,528 times

Advertisements

Missing Indiana RV Couple Found After Man Dies in Nevada Desert

https://www.usnews.com/news/us/artic...after-man-dies

“37.757753, -117.809568. Help.”
RENO, Nev. (AP) — A single, desperate cry for help went through to family members too late to save a woman’s husband after the Indiana couple had been lost in Nevada’s high-desert wilderness for more than a week.
GPS / wrong turn / short cut?

Not a very nice way to go.
You would think with an RV they could survive a few weeks had they stayed put.

As mentioned in article... a series of poor choices led to their demise. (Sounds way too familiar with other recent issues leading to unnecessary death and long search and rescue / investigations.)

Possibly people are feeling too confident, and are not preparing for the dangers along their path.

I too am guilty of taking too many risks daily. Time to learn and apply knowledge from the mistakes of others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2022, 12:44 AM

23,874 posts, read 33,587,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Missing Indiana RV Couple Found After Man Dies in Nevada Desert

https://www.usnews.com/news/us/artic...after-man-dies

“37.757753, -117.809568. Help.”
RENO, Nev. (AP) — A single, desperate cry for help went through to family members too late to save a woman’s husband after the Indiana couple had been lost in Nevada’s high-desert wilderness for more than a week.
GPS / wrong turn / short cut?

Not a very nice way to go.
You would think with an RV they could survive a few weeks had they stayed put.

As mentioned in article... a series of poor choices led to their demise. (Sounds way too familiar with other recent issues leading to unnecessary death and long search and rescue / investigations.)

Possibly people are feeling too confident, and are not preparing for the dangers along their path.

I too am guilty of taking too many risks daily. Time to learn and apply knowledge from the mistakes of others.

Good question about why they did not stay with the RV. Maybe they thought they could get a cell signal if they drove a little bit.

Hopefully the family does not say they want privacy then no more comes out. There are questions that people hope to learn the answer to such as how did he die. She is the only one that can answer that. While he is not old at 72, it's a common age when older people start dying a natural death which could be what took him.

It's another reality check for people to consider getting a sat phone as a just in case they got lost where there is no cell signal. Your life may depend on it.

Old 04-07-2022, 05:00 AM

2,161 posts, read 1,155,103 times
This is so sad. When I first saw the story no one was saying what happened. I also hope more information comes out. I have some older relatives who love to RV for a month at a time and it's worrying if they don't check in everyday with one of their kids.
I wonder, could a gps in the vehicle, prevent this type of tragedy?

Old 04-07-2022, 10:27 AM

latest report from surviving wife:
  • Bad GPS directions, (does not report if route is accessible via large RV)
  • He died after they ran out of food and water
  • She survived by scooping snow in her n95 and melting it.

Rough terrain + Snow + dirt road is not friendly to an RV towing a car.
He may have been a previous truckdriver or similar, so felt confident they would make it across that road.

Stuff happens (lots of stuff could have happened in their situation, and DW could not have got them out. )
Don't put others at risk, but not preparing for the worst (CA hiking couple with kid and dog, AZ hiking date + death...)

Old 04-07-2022, 11:25 AM

15,423 posts, read 9,096,973 times
Another life that could have been saved with a relatively cheap device.

Old 04-07-2022, 11:50 AM

22,349 posts, read 29,457,534 times
I'll be honest-I don't know much about RV-ing but I would NEVER attempt a trip without a satellite phone!!!

This is horrible

Old 04-07-2022, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
I'll be honest-I don't know much about RV-ing but I would NEVER attempt a trip without a satellite phone!!!

This is horrible
but... 20% of the USA population is without Cell / internet / phone every day, all day (And we all don't carry sat phones. ), Tho it could be a good idea for all, and especially for those unfamiliar with the territory.

Being on my horse / tractor / motorcycle in the backwoods or mtns with no communication out, has been pretty dangerous daily task for the last 60+ yrs. Living on borrowed time, maybe I'll 'upgrade' to a medical alert system soon. But at least I travel / take my risks solo.

Old 04-07-2022, 12:07 PM

https://wibqam.com/2022/04/07/missin...other-rescued/
Peters said it was the couple’s GPS that told them to take a road that would eventually point them up a mountain west of Silver Peak, Nevada, about 30 miles west of Goldfield. Beverly said the “highway” option in the GPS setting was not selected, and that led it to point them to a county road.

“Bev recalls they … saw other cars, I believe she even mentioned another motorhome was seen,” Peters wrote. “The directions had them making turns and they knew they were going up a mountain, but I don’t think they ever had a fear that they were doing anything wrong.

Old 04-07-2022, 12:55 PM

10,571 posts, read 7,776,236 times
What were they thinking? From the article, quoting someone quite familiar with the area.

“Getting an RV towing a vehicle up that road would be insane, but within the realm of possibility,” he said Wednesday.

Old 04-07-2022, 01:19 PM

2,690 posts, read 1,615,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
What were they thinking? From the article, quoting someone quite familiar with the area.

“Getting an RV towing a vehicle up that road would be insane, but within the realm of possibility,” he said Wednesday.
I can see how it would happen: start driving up a rural road and it very slowly gets worse and worse, and there's no good place to turn around, and GPS is still saying take this route, so you keep going, hoping the situation will soon improve. I've had google maps take me off course many times, down dirt roads, sometimes muddy dirt roads where I could have gotten stuck with a 4x4.
What is unusual is that they didn't have extra food stored in an RV, or that they didn't melt more snow to drink. Maybe he was dehydrated to begin with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events