Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2022, 06:45 PM

50,941 posts, read 36,629,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
Here’s a closer look at the criteria for a Silver Alert in Nevada:

The person missing must be 60 years of age or older and diagnosed with a medical or mental condition.

It also fits the criteria if the person goes missing under suspicious circumstances.

The missing person must be from the state of Nevada.

Law enforcement has to rule out an impaired mental state as a reason for the disappearance.

The request for a Silver Alert must happen within 72 hours of the disappearance.
Why do they have to rule out impaired mental state? I don’t get that, does that mean they won’t issue Silver Alert for an elderly missing person with dementia??

Out of curiosity, I looked up the requirements for New Jersey. They seem much more logical, and it seems like this couple would have qualified:

When Can A Silver Alert Be Issued?
A Silver Alert may be issued under the following conditions...

The person believed to be missing is believed to be suffering from dementia or other cognitive impairment regardless of age

A missing person’s report has been submitted to the local law enforcement agency where the person went missing

The person believed to be missing may be in danger of death or serious bodily injury

There is sufficient information available to indicate that a Silver Alert would assist in locating the missing person

There is sufficient information available to disseminate to the public that could assist in locating the person
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2022, 06:58 PM

15,428 posts, read 9,125,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I spent a good bit of time backcountry motorcycling when I lived in Idaho, camping off the bike. Seriously considered one of those (actually a Spot tracker in the day). Probably should have sprung for it, much of that country would take hours for someone to ride to get help (let alone a cell signal).
What gets me is that it's probably hard to find any young healthy adventures tech savvy person today who doesn't have one of those strapped to their backpack. Even though they probably don't really need it. It's just peace of mind for them. Then you have these two people who really do need it, and they didn't have it. Though honestly I'm not sure anything would have helped these people. I doubt that either of them had the mental capacity to be making this trip. But at least if they had a tracker, a family member or someone, could have been keeping track of their location.

Old 04-08-2022, 07:14 PM

12,064 posts, read 10,294,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Why do they have to rule out impaired mental state? I don’t get that, does that mean they won’t issue Silver Alert for an elderly missing person with dementia??

Out of curiosity, I looked up the requirements for New Jersey. They seem much more logical, and it seems like this couple would have qualified:

The person believed to be missing is believed to be suffering from dementia or other cognitive impairment regardless of age

A missing person’s report has been submitted to the local law enforcement agency where the person went missing

The person believed to be missing may be in danger of death or serious bodily injury

There is sufficient information available to indicate that a Silver Alert would assist in locating the missing person

There is sufficient information available to disseminate to the public that could assist in locating the person
That is not what that means. They have to make sure that the missing person is not impaired mentally and would not be normally the type to bet lost?

Old 04-08-2022, 07:22 PM

15,428 posts, read 9,125,024 times
Quote:
Wow! I don’t blame nephew one bit for being mad as heck, what a ridiculous law! I hope this will cause them to change it.
Yes, but even if that alert had been issued, it wouldn't have changed the outcome. So he is mad about something that wouldn't have made any difference.

I think all these Amber, Blue, Silver, Camo alerts are completely worthless nonsense anyway. When they flash those freeway signs with "Any Color ALERT. License # ABC-132". Do they really expect drivers to pull over and write down that number and start looking for that vehicle? That's what law enforcement and Automated License Plate Readers are for.

Old 04-08-2022, 07:52 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,943,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Missing Indiana RV Couple Found After Man Dies in Nevada Desert

https://www.usnews.com/news/us/artic...after-man-dies

“37.757753, -117.809568. Help.”
RENO, Nev. (AP) — A single, desperate cry for help went through to family members too late to save a woman’s husband after the Indiana couple had been lost in Nevada’s high-desert wilderness for more than a week.
GPS / wrong turn / short cut?

Not a very nice way to go.
You would think with an RV they could survive a few weeks had they stayed put.

As mentioned in article... a series of poor choices led to their demise. (Sounds way too familiar with other recent issues leading to unnecessary death and long search and rescue / investigations.)

Possibly people are feeling too confident, and are not preparing for the dangers along their path.

I too am guilty of taking too many risks daily. Time to learn and apply knowledge from the mistakes of others.
Yes
They sounded totally unprepared—said they had no food with them??? Their GPS took them to an off road path—so not good preparation with charting your course and NOT depending on a GPS voice to tell you where you are going in unfamiliar country
I wonder how clear thinking they were before this or if they just dithered along???

I can’t believe the Sheriff’s office wouldn’t do a search initially because they were not locals—
That is some procedure that needs to be revised

Old 04-08-2022, 07:55 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,943,115 times
Quote:

A Silver Alert wouldn’t have done any good
Those people were off the normal roads—in isolated country
Needed to have people physically looking for them not just someone seeing them parked in a MacDonald’s lot

Old 04-08-2022, 08:11 PM

3,072 posts, read 2,414,096 times
"Last year, Indiana processed a record 203 Silver Alert requests with a record 153 activations. In all, 152 people were located, with 96 credited to Indiana State Police activating a Silver Alert." https://www.wthr.com/article/news/lo...e-62ff4933ba70

Here in Indiana, "The [Silver Alert] Clearinghouse will offer analytical support from the Indiana Intelligence Fusion Center (IIFC), Public Information Office, Cybercrime & Investigative Technologies Section, K-9, and additional ISP investigators and officers." Silver alerts are for high-risk or endangered people regardless of where they are from. https://www.in.gov/isp/files/IN-Silver_Alert_Plan.pdf

The family members are frustrated because it took over three days for Nevada to start searching and eight days to issue a silver alert. Maybe someone from Nevada or in search and rescue or law enforcement can explain Nevada's procedures. I agree that the couple got themselves into a mess, but that's exactly the sort of scenario that search and rescues are for.

Old 04-08-2022, 08:28 PM

30,202 posts, read 11,854,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Yes
They sounded totally unprepared—said they had no food with them??? Their GPS took them to an off road path—so not good preparation with charting your course and NOT depending on a GPS voice to tell you where you are going in unfamiliar country
I wonder how clear thinking they were before this or if they just dithered along???

I can’t believe the Sheriff’s office wouldn’t do a search initially because they were not locals—
That is some procedure that needs to be revised
There are Garmin GPS units with Satellite texting capability. And there are CB radios that still are used. I buy and sell used electronics and tested a couple of vintage CB radios I purchased. You would be amazed how many still use them. But if they just stayed on major highways they would have been fine. I do a lot of driving and traveling and GPS directions are flawed to say the least.

Old 04-08-2022, 08:40 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,761 posts, read 58,170,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
A Silver Alert wouldn’t have done any good
Those people were off the normal roads—in isolated country
Needed to have people physically looking for them not just someone seeing them parked in a MacDonald’s lot
Actually... a broadcast silver alert with their vehicle combination description would have likely brought a response from some of the 'several' vehicles they apparently met on their detour (including RV's according to the survivor.) There were really very few places they could have been if taking a wrong turn. (unless they had been RV-jacked to Mexico, another possibility the LE needed to weigh.)

As a frequent 'back-roader', I size up every vehicle I meet in case either I or they may need future help, and especially if I consider they should not be headed the direction they are going. (Low likelihood of coming back or getting through). They had a pretty big and modern rig combination for 'BLM / boondocking', so I bet several people said WTH are they doing here? Very surprising they were in a few days without meeting another vehicle, IF they were on a 'through' route. I would guess they took a turn, kept going due to too big to turn around and after a few turns and hills they were not seen. Bothers me that I flew over (Commercially) enroute to LAS on the days they were missing. I always scan the backroads and compare with my backcountry GPS app so I can find future ADV tracks. But... that flight I grabbed an exit row seat over the wing, so was not able to survey so much territory. Thousands of people flew over them every day. emergency mirror signaling, flares, or sacrificing the RV (or Kia) in a fire would have been an option when death is eminent.

Note to self... Throw in a mirror and few flares for my next adventure.

Old 04-08-2022, 08:50 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,761 posts, read 58,170,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
What gets me is that it's probably hard to find any young healthy adventures tech savvy person today who doesn't have one of those strapped to their backpack. ...
Out of 126 riders on one of my last ADV treks (Backroads) - (1) person had a satellite emergency locator device. 90% of the riders were far younger and more tech savvy than me. (And they have been employed in the last 20 yrs so could probably afford something like this). They ride once a month for a weekend very remotely, and usually 2-3 long trips (10 - 14 days into Mexico) / yr, yet no-one carries this type of device (except the one person).

I may get one, since investments are doing so well. The money to fund it is actually attainable now.
Yesterday, I did 're-up' one of several Air Evac memberships I keep current. That is only valid if they find me alive. (unlikely since I travel solo most of the time and no one knows where I am going everyday (including me). When it gets dark I try to be near home, but missed that by an hour again tonight. I am lost a lot of the time, but that is the adventure (Kinda knowing where you are). You don't want to try that with a partner that can't find or physically get home if you croak or get injured.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events