Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2022, 09:57 AM

6,811 posts, read 4,246,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Being in a prison camp and literally doing nothing isn’t a great measuring stick really

Trust me, those prisoners in German camps didn't do nothing. It was part of the plan to literally work them to death. They were used for grueling, brutal manual labor in mines, quarries, construction etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2022, 11:02 AM

50,816 posts, read 36,501,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
This. I don't think many people realize how much of the west is out of the range of any sort of signal at all. There are vast areas out here that are complete dead zones.

Here's what Snopes has to say about changing your voicemail if you're lost or whatever:

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/ce...mail-greeting/
Thank you! That's a shame, it sounded like a good tip.

Old 04-13-2022, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Being in a prison camp and literally doing nothing isn’t a great measuring stick really
Doing nothing? Most of the camps were forced labor camps.

Old 04-13-2022, 02:50 PM

9,324 posts, read 16,669,320 times
When we travelled in our RV we used Microsoft Streets and Maps which allowed you to plan the route and included heights of bridges, roads which didn't allow RVs etc. They stopped making it in 2015. Then we used Roadtrippers. Key to traveling in an RV is planning the next day's route.

Old 04-13-2022, 05:22 PM

21,867 posts, read 25,154,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
The point is that is how much food you need to survive for weeks and stay healthy. There is no magical survival food that is lighter and takes up less space that will last you for three weeks.

Backpackers and long distance hikers would love to carry enough food to stay out for three weeks without resupplying, but that is just not possible. Most people carry 4 to 7 days of food. A few people can manage 7 to 10 days, but 21 days is just not going to happen.

Now I'm not calling you a liar. I believe that you believe that your survival food pack will last you three weeks, but that is just not realistic. You could theoretically stretch a smaller amount of food out to three weeks, but you won't be in any condition to hoof it anywhere by that time.
Generally, a healthy person does not need any food to survive three weeks. It's gonna suck though and if you have some food with carbs and protein to replace muscle glucose and protein to repair damaged muscles though that's going to be hugely beneficial. Hiking ballparks are usually around 2 pounds a day at 100-125 calories/ounce density, or 3,500 to 4,000 calories. You don't need that much though in a survival situation. You could cut that in half making a 20 pound, 10-day carry into 20 days. It won't be as fun as having twice as much food but it'll work to keep you functioning.

JMT we did in 11 days with no resupplies and carried too much food, could have gone another two days on what we were carrying. The issue isn't so much the weight or pack volume. It's those pesky bear cannisters. Like most everyone doing the JMT without resupplying, we cheated and left some of the stuff that seemed like it wouldn't appeal to a bear's sniffer and tossed the second food bag up in trees for the night. I think the longest unresuplied hike was by Roman Dial, 600 miles in the AK wilderness. Oh, and that was bushwhacking. Wild. Andrew Skurka attempted a longer stint on the AT but abandoned due to injury.

https://www.npr.org/2006/07/12/55517...ilderness-hike

That's one of those areas that modern era meta for backpacking is probably more to blame than anything. Most backpackers are weight obsessed, trimming down toothbrushes to save a fraction of an ounce. The backpacks have changed to light internal frames capable of carrying "heavy" loads of 35-40 pounds which many (including often myself) eskew for frameless packs that rather suck at much over 20 pounds. If you go back to the '70s though a 35 pound pack was pretty normal and certainly 50 pound pack weights were not abnormal. The extrenal frames could comfortably carry the weight whereas the wimpy carbon fiber stays on an internally framed pack will not. Most people are hiking around with 20-30 pound packs and not conditioned to handle heavier ones. But there are a few packs that could. Osprey Aether 100 is a 100L pack, about three times the volume of what I usually use) with a load rating of 40-70 pounds which is doulbe what I was carrying on the JMT. So yeah, definitely possible. I'd rather just resupply more often though.

Last edited by Malloric; 04-13-2022 at 05:42 PM..

Old 04-13-2022, 05:45 PM

21,867 posts, read 25,154,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Doing nothing? Most of the camps were forced labor camps.
Yeah, even if the labor was only digging the hole, filling the hole, digging the hole, filling the hole, digging the hole, filling the hole they were doing something. At least up until they couldn't really dig and fill the holes at which point they were close to death which was the objective. Nasty.

Old 04-13-2022, 08:40 PM

15,440 posts, read 7,497,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Yeah, even if the labor was only digging the hole, filling the hole, digging the hole, filling the hole, digging the hole, filling the hole they were doing something. At least up until they couldn't really dig and fill the holes at which point they were close to death which was the objective. Nasty.
Conditions were just as bad on the Thai Burma Railway(which included the bridge of River Kwai fame). No food, malaria, working barefoot and naked, while subject to harsh punishment by the Japanese guards. Estimates are that of the 330,000 workers on the railway, 90,000 Asian laborers and 16,000 Allied prisoners died.

Old 04-13-2022, 08:52 PM

2,161 posts, read 1,153,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Generally, a healthy person does not need any food to survive three weeks. It's gonna suck though and if you have some food with carbs and protein to replace muscle glucose and protein to repair damaged muscles though that's going to be hugely beneficial. Hiking ballparks are usually around 2 pounds a day at 100-125 calories/ounce density, or 3,500 to 4,000 calories. You don't need that much though in a survival situation. You could cut that in half making a 20 pound, 10-day carry into 20 days. It won't be as fun as having twice as much food but it'll work to keep you functioning.

JMT we did in 11 days with no resupplies and carried too much food, could have gone another two days on what we were carrying. The issue isn't so much the weight or pack volume. It's those pesky bear cannisters. Like most everyone doing the JMT without resupplying, we cheated and left some of the stuff that seemed like it wouldn't appeal to a bear's sniffer and tossed the second food bag up in trees for the night. I think the longest unresuplied hike was by Roman Dial, 600 miles in the AK wilderness. Oh, and that was bushwhacking. Wild. Andrew Skurka attempted a longer stint on the AT but abandoned due to injury.

https://www.npr.org/2006/07/12/55517...ilderness-hike

That's one of those areas that modern era meta for backpacking is probably more to blame than anything. Most backpackers are weight obsessed, trimming down toothbrushes to save a fraction of an ounce. The backpacks have changed to light internal frames capable of carrying "heavy" loads of 35-40 pounds which many (including often myself) eskew for frameless packs that rather suck at much over 20 pounds. If you go back to the '70s though a 35 pound pack was pretty normal and certainly 50 pound pack weights were not abnormal. The extrenal frames could comfortably carry the weight whereas the wimpy carbon fiber stays on an internally framed pack will not. Most people are hiking around with 20-30 pound packs and not conditioned to handle heavier ones. But there are a few packs that could. Osprey Aether 100 is a 100L pack, about three times the volume of what I usually use) with a load rating of 40-70 pounds which is doulbe what I was carrying on the JMT. So yeah, definitely possible. I'd rather just resupply more often though.
Sounds like you may have had some experience like me. People who "google" it have no idea. You have to live it to know it. Gotta love these "arm chair warriors" who pretend to have IRL knowledge without any actual experience.

Old 04-14-2022, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
Conditions were just as bad on the Thai Burma Railway(which included the bridge of River Kwai fame). No food, malaria, working barefoot and naked, while subject to harsh punishment by the Japanese guards. Estimates are that of the 330,000 workers on the railway, 90,000 Asian laborers and 16,000 Allied prisoners died.
It amazes me that people can dehumanize others to the point of allowing such atrocities. I learned on the TV show "Young Sheldon" that the Great Wall of China is filled with the bodies of hundreds of thousands or men who died building it under similar conditions

Old 04-14-2022, 11:19 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,433,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Depending on the road, it can be very difficult to turn an RV around, especially when towing a car. I used to live on a dead end street, and once spent an entertaining 45 minutes watching a couple try to turn their RV around when they realized it was a dead end. Wife got out and tried to direct him, by the end it sounded like they were headed for divorce court, lol.
Never try to turn a RV around with a tow vehicle. Unhitch and it might be easier. Smaller the RV the easier and if you can't you have the car to go get someone's help. Watch for the video of the recovery I posted earlier. It might show the route they took and we might get a better understanding of how it happened
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events