Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2022, 01:21 PM

15,416 posts, read 9,049,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
I did my search late last night (early evening out West). Google's algorithm will give you different routes depending on traffic situation, so you might get different routes every time you search.

And "avoid highways" does what it says - it will keep you off the Interstate and similar controlled access highways. I use the option all the time when driving because I prefer surface roads here to the often jammed freeways such as the Beltway, I-66 or I-95.
Good points.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2022, 06:51 PM

19,798 posts, read 9,336,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Obviously can't read his mind and certainly can't blame him for being upset, but suspect the lashing out and legal recourse posturing is tied to guilt...as you said, what actions did HE take to help his relatives avoid disaster? If he feels he failed them, time to look around and attempt to lay blame on anyone within reach. Hope it goes nowhere.
Does anyone know how close the nephew was to his aunt and uncle (physically or otherwise)?

Unless he was actually a part of their lives, meaning that he saw them, or at least talked to them, at least once a week, why would anyone blame the nephew? And why should he feel any guilt, regardless?

I have relatives who I have not communicated with in literally months (and for some, not in many years), and I would be upset if something like what happened to the couple happened to them, but I certainly would not blame myself nor anyone else, either!

My husband and I are both retired seniors and if we took it into our heads to go on some kind of cross-country adventure and some well-meaning friends or relatives took into their heads to try to "supervise" or manage things for us, I would thank them for their concern but I would also tell them very nicely to mind their own business and to not treat us as though we were stupid or incapable.

Last edited by katharsis; 04-14-2022 at 07:04 PM..

Old 04-14-2022, 07:29 PM

12,057 posts, read 10,262,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Does anyone know how close the nephew was to his aunt and uncle (physically or otherwise)?

Unless he was actually a part of their lives, meaning that he saw them, or at least talked to them, at least once a week, why would anyone blame the nephew? And why should he feel any guilt, regardless?

I have relatives who I have not communicated with in literally months (and for some, not in many years), and I would be upset if something like what happened to the couple happened to them, but I certainly would not blame myself nor anyone else, either!

My husband and I are both retired seniors and if we took it into our heads to go on some kind of cross-country adventure and some well-meaning friends or relatives took into their heads to try to "supervise" or manage things for us, I would thank them for their concern but I would also tell them very nicely to mind their own business and to not treat us as though we were stupid or incapable.
Did the couple have any kids?

Old 04-15-2022, 10:36 AM

50,717 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post

The nephew tried to get police to issue a Silver alert for them to try to locate them when they were missing, so it sounds like they were in communication during the trip and family knew where they were headed and where they had been. Sounds like they were at least checking in along the way, and when they stopped communicating and nephew couldn't reach them he tried to get them help. I don't know why he'd feel guilty, though.

Old 04-15-2022, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
Did the couple have any kids?
looks like they have two adult daughters

"The Barkers' family, including their two daughters, said it is unlike their parents to be out of reach, and they do not understand how the couple could have disappeared in a flat desert landscape.

'They’re out in the middle of the desert,' Whaley said. 'You can see for miles and a 32-foot RV, towing a car, literally vanishes into thin air. Where did they go?"

Looks like they believe the desert is just a flat place where you can be seen from miles away.

Old 04-17-2022, 05:13 PM

334 posts, read 520,024 times
https://youtu.be/2SvuZ_y75EU

I just came across this video of the RV and car being recovered. worth the watch, done very respectfully for sure

Old 04-17-2022, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StcLurker View Post

I just came across this video of the RV and car being recovered. worth the watch, done very respectfully for sure
wow- just the first picture of where they were going makes one wonder why.

Old 04-17-2022, 06:31 PM

Interesting video.

Old 04-17-2022, 06:33 PM

15,416 posts, read 9,049,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StcLurker View Post

Great find. I wish he had showed more of the recovery and less of himself talking, but it definitely shows what they had gotten themselves into. They didn't have a chance.

For those who don't want to watch the 35 minute long video. Here are some shots of the main parts.

Old 04-17-2022, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Great find. I wish he had showed more of the recovery and less of himself talking, but it definitely shows what they had gotten themselves into. They didn't have a chance.

For those who don't want to watch the 35 minute long video. Here are some shots of the main parts.

thanks for posting those photos. I wonder why they went up those unpaved roads???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events