Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2022, 09:05 AM

5,655 posts, read 3,148,580 times

Advertisements

One time, we had a guy who was coming up on his 20th anniversary with the company. The VP (Before we went corporate) made a BIG deal about it. Not only cake, but also a vacation for him and his family to Hawaii, and a limousine came and picked them all up and took them to the airport. We all stood around and cheered. lol

It was the one and only time something like that happened. Special treatment for the guys in the boy's club. LOL

In July, I'll be with the company 23 years. Pretty sure no one's going to give me a trip to Hawaii. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2022, 11:51 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,573,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
At our workplace (very large, 2000+ employees and many departments) we had health fairs, and free gym memberships (gym was on campus), and free flu vaccines, Weight Watchers at Work, etc. Then they had employees who were constantly throwing birthday and retirement parties with cake and soft drinks, or bosses who brought donuts or cookies to staff meetings, and ice cream socials after work, pizza parties, etc. It was so contradictory, and difficult for those trying to maintain their weight or diets. After I pointed out the contradictions, my boss was sympathetic, but said that it's hard to change a workplace culture. He made sure after that our meeting snacks were healthier, and to make sure everyone knew that food events should include healthier choices, vegetarian choices, etc, and of course party attendance was optional.

My office suite is always full of that kind of stuff. Junk food piled up on the counter. Only a couple people bring it in. I don't eat any of it but often get harassed to eat it. I don't pay attention to who eats it either, but it does get eaten and then more is brought in. They must all feel like crap all day long. I know I would if I ate all that stuff. I don't know about the other departments but suspect it's the same.

Old 04-22-2022, 02:59 PM

1,970 posts, read 2,235,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
Asking not to have a birthday party is a reasonable accommodation. The person who ought to be fired is the one who "couldn't remember" not to do it.

When I read between the lines here, I see an office full of petty people who are disgruntled because someone isn't participating in their social activities, and retaliated by having a childish temper tantrum because they couldn't get their own way.
But Berling was stealing the HR busybody's "corporate joy" that she derived from mindlessly planning birthday event after birthday event.

Wonder if the costs of her joyous celebrations were extorted from her underlings ....ummm, co-workers. I can envision the envelope for birthday cash and clipboard, with Miss Bossypants soliciting money throughout the office -- "this time we would like ten bucks from each and every one of you, to make this party realllllly memorable." LOL

The worst part is the second day, when the victim was confronted by both management and staff for ruining their celebration of HIS birthday. If someone leaves a party in their honor, don't you pick up on that clue, that the party was unwanted? (Even if Miss Party Planner "just plum forgot.")

Old 04-22-2022, 03:32 PM

5,655 posts, read 3,148,580 times
What's interesting to me is...somehow his self-comforting was somehow construed as threatening, and thus cause for termination.

They picked on the wrong guy this time.

Old 04-22-2022, 06:02 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,368,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I read the article but I am also very aware that the press can go far afield in their desire to slant the news to get the desired amount of public outrage. I also notice that the entire article only gave the subject's version and as he saw it, being as how he is mentally unstable, he might be seeing things differently than a mentally normal person might see it. I suspect that none of us reading the news report has the slightest clue about what happened or why the guy was fired.

If he did indeed threaten violence, then the company was right to fire him. They only have to make a reasonable accommodating to a handicap, not change the lives of everyone around them, nor put anyone else in danger.

Because the subject's version of what the company did was on the irrational side, then it makes me wonder how much truth and how much slant the subject is actually giving about the whole situation.
Sure....if he was violent...and then the jury would have awarded him nothing. You can dispute every point or you can comment on the article at face value...which really isn't that unbelievable, is it?

We've all been in similar office party situations that can be pretty uncomfortable, probably more so than many are aware with people just grinning and bearing it.

Old 04-22-2022, 06:50 PM

22,165 posts, read 19,217,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
The month and the day is fine. It's a no no to publish the year.
it's also nobody's business what the month and day is.
so no, it is NOT fine. to publish it or reveal it.

Old 04-22-2022, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
it's also nobody's business what the month and day is.
so no, it is NOT fine. to publish it or reveal it.

Old 04-22-2022, 10:10 PM

453 posts, read 301,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I hope he can stretch that $450,000 out to support him for years, because he is not going to get another job with anyone any time soon.

I'm a bit mystified about giving a surprise party to someone who says they don't want one, and even more mystified about why it was a "surprise" when the company gives one for every employee for their birthday.
Why? You didn't read the article? There are direct quotes from THE COMPANY and the COMPLAINT.

It was a "surprise" because the employee PROACTIVELY REQUESTED they not do their normal [completely ridiculous, stupid and unnecessary] "party" in ADVANCE and they did it anyway and blindsided him.

HENCE, the "surprise".

Their defense is "they forgot".

What more do you need to know?.

How about THEN they [his managers] started reading him the riot act and accused him of stealing other co-workers’ joy,”

What MORONS!

Old 04-22-2022, 10:20 PM

453 posts, read 301,498 times
1. Once at my corporate job, some 1st level sales manager morons said "if you didn't make your sales objective, you have to stand in the middle of a circle of employees and dance while we all laugh at you".

For real. A Fortune 20 company.

So I go "Nope I'm not doing that".

They go "Then you'll get written up."

I go "Yeah you do that. I have a religious objection. Need HR's number?"

THEN the dumba$$ literally tried to claim "You're not religious".

So just to show her what a fool she was I said let's have a contest who can quote more gospel song lyrics.

(which I happened to know MANY since my group members listened to gospel all day and we'd lip sync dramatically)

Check mate.

But this poor guy didn't stand a chance with these jerks.

2. Another time my classmate at the same company - different job - didn't want her picture taken and hung up in the middle of the office ( so they can get to know you) because she had a stalker.

They bullied her into it.

Guess what - the stalker found out because someone he knew was doing janitorial service in the building and saw her pic.

Old 04-23-2022, 06:18 AM

Yep. Bottom line all this fake "team member" bonhomie creates a toxic work environment for many. It's exhausting fending it off. The ones who like it probably like it because if they are partying or standing in circles they aren't working and they are either natural bullies or natural followers. I'd rather be left in peace to work my 8 hours and go home, to my real life. Work isn't my real life. I do it because I have to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events