Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2020, 10:31 PM

17,551 posts, read 13,334,227 times

Advertisements

Mods, I am posting this as a new thread instead of letting it get lost in the long CV thread because it a plain English, no holds barred, explanation of what has happened, is happening and what will most likely be happening in regards to Covid-19 (Like the first thread I posted, feel free to move if you feel it is inappropriate as a new one.)

It is a podcast interview of infectious disease expert Dr Michael Osterholm (Michael T. Osterholm, PhD, MPH | CIDRAP) by comedian Joe Rogan.

PLEASE FORGET that Rogan is a comedian, this interview is as serious as a heart attack!

I was at a meeting yesterday with local epidemiologists and got a glimpse of what is going on. This complimented everything we discussed. The common agreement was that this week and next will fully illuminate this public health crisis and predict what the outcome will actually be. (The world lost a good month, or more, because China was trying to cover this up. And then the seriousness wasn't understood because we just didn't know the true contagion of this new virus)

What impresses me the most about this video is it's honesty and the fact that it is being done by someone from the entertainment community instead of news background.

This will reach more people because of the interviewer than all of the news broadcasts today.

The first 15 minutes scared the crap out of me and I have an infectious disease background in clinical pharmacy. It is well worth your time. Spend at least 15 minutes watching this, it's that important!

https://youtu.be/E3URhJx0NSw
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2020, 04:47 AM

5,293 posts, read 6,056,775 times
Default The Coronavirus thread - Science discussion

Starting this thread for the more scientific side of the discussion. Post your articles here/discussions here. Be careful not to sidebar and go off topic.

Old 03-12-2020, 05:30 AM

11,772 posts, read 5,785,673 times
Thank you for the link - it's very informative and helpful.

Old 03-12-2020, 05:47 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,327,185 times
I'm posting this article because it deals with the psychology of why people are afraid:

The facts on coronavirus aren't all scary. So why are we so afraid?

"When we feel, 'Oh my God, there's a new boogeyman out there,' it comes with extra fear," said David Ropeik, an expert on risk communication. "When we don't understand something that leaves us feeling like we don't know everything we need to know to protect ourselves and that equates to powerlessness, vulnerability."

The spread of the new coronavirus is not just a public health crisis. It's a global event pervading nearly every aspect of people's lives, causing them to worry not only about getting sick themselves, but about grandma, what to do with out-of-school kids and rapidly shrinking 401(k)s.

Uncertainty about the nature and trajectory of the threat exacerbates a feeling of not being in control.

"It's a new, unknown illness, we don't know how severe it's going to be and we don't know how concerned to be," said Lynn Bufka, associate executive director for research and policy at the American Psychological Association and an expert on anxiety, stress and cultural issues. "The idea that we can hopefully reduce transmissions through really good hand-washing feels insufficient. It's not anything new. And how will you know if you've done it well enough?"

It's why many people are rushing out to buy toilet paper, face masks, disinfectant and hand sanitizer. It makes them feel they are at least doing something, she said.

Old 03-12-2020, 07:40 AM

3,217 posts, read 1,603,237 times
I’ve come to agree with the opinion that the sooner we aggressively lock down and flatten that curve the better.

This is an interesting analysis of the numbers, that unfortunately suggests a very large underestimation of the number of active cases:

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coron...e-f4d3d9cd99ca

Old 03-12-2020, 08:15 AM

20,708 posts, read 19,353,439 times
reposting here:

https://high-fat-nutrition.blogspot....ctuations.html

Old 03-12-2020, 09:13 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,181,548 times
I've been perusing the Reddit Medicine board for the past week or so reading what physicians and nurses in Europe and Australia (and some in the US although they usually will not disclose their location) are saying and some of the discussions they are having are deeply concerning.

Old 03-12-2020, 09:24 AM

15,823 posts, read 6,532,470 times
This CDC page gives summary information of the COVID-19 cases in the U.S.:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...avirus-summary

It is supposed to be updated daily on week days.

Old 03-12-2020, 09:26 AM

20,708 posts, read 19,353,439 times
So a little more science on the RQ theory.

ICU feeding guidelines:

http://www.surgicalcriticalcare.net/...ion%202017.pdf
d.Fluid restricted, calorically dense formulations could be considered for patients with acute respiratory failure without evidence of hypernatremia. High-lipid, low-carbohydrate specialty formulas designed to manipulate the respiratory quotient may be utilized inCO2-retaining patients who are difficult to wean from mechanical ventilation, but should not be used routinely.

Could be your bedroom.....

I personally will not be feeding a breathing problem with carbohydrates. No massive OJ doses. Appetite may be suppressed anyway but....

Unfortunately data is bad enough for COPD , but its there. Block buster drugs get the funding etc. Even less for ARDS but I see data there....They may have missed it.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0929664615003460

Be mindful that data and method sections are independent of the discussion.

https://bmcinfectdis.biomedcentral.c...71-2334-11-104
Fasting plasma glucose is an independent predictor for severity of H1N1 pneumonia
Indeed, higher RQ will naturally result in lower arterial Oxygen Saturation all things being equal .....
FPG was significantly positively associated with H1N1 virus infection (OR = 1.377, 95%CI: 1.062-1.786; p = 0.016). FPG was significantly correlated with AST (r = 0.215; p = 0.039), LDH (r = 0.400; p = 0.000), BUN (r = 0.28; p = 0.005), and arterial Oxygen Saturation (SaO2; r = -0.416; p = 0.000) in the H1N1 group.
Either way high blood sugar probably not going to lead to good outcomes for a variety of reasons IMHO.

Old 03-12-2020, 09:38 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,674,951 times
This has been posted in the old thread, but needs to be here too. You can skip past the current events part, which will quickly become outdated, to the chloroquine/zinc part of the microbiology. If you decide to try zinc by itself, another site mentions that zinc gluconate has shown activity against the common cold, but zinc acetate has not. If I speculate, maybe the zinc is hitchhiking into the cytoplasm on a glucose molecule?

The Koreans and Chinese have empirically discovered that zinc with an adjuvant can treat Covid-19.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...dJ26e8httR43mI
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events