Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2022, 10:40 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,949,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Idk about a hand me down beater; I want my daughter to be safe... I'd rather her have something new-ish with a five star safety rating. The bigger issue is the power and performance; there is literally no 17 year old kid who should be driving a 500+ hp car, and I say this as someone who learned to race on a track before he had a license, and has always had performance cars. You can make fatal mistakes in a 100hp subcompact, but there's much less room for fatal errors in something that can get to illegal speeds from a standstill in >4 seconds.

The parents are definitely to blame for a significant amount of this tragedy and should be held accountable.

Your daughter is actually going to become a better driver if she gets experience driving a vehicle WITHOUT the latest safety gimmicky gadgets. Lane sensors, adaptive cruise control, backup cams and front collision sensors inhibit a person's developing their reflexes, instincts and overall driving skills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2022, 10:08 AM
KCZ

4,669 posts, read 3,663,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Idk about a hand me down beater; I want my daughter to be safe... I'd rather her have something new-ish with a five star safety rating. The bigger issue is the power and performance; there is literally no 17 year old kid who should be driving a 500+ hp car, and I say this as someone who learned to race on a track before he had a license, and has always had performance cars. You can make fatal mistakes in a 100hp subcompact, but there's much less room for fatal errors in something that can get to illegal speeds from a standstill in >4 seconds.

The parents are definitely to blame for a significant amount of this tragedy and should be held accountable.

Send her to a teen driving school (not the usual basics-needed-to-get-your-license place) where they teach things like accident avoidance.

Old 05-08-2022, 12:44 PM

9,412 posts, read 11,159,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
Send her to a teen driving school (not the usual basics-needed-to-get-your-license place) where they teach things like accident avoidance.
Bob Bondurant's driving school has a course like that. Surely many other real actual driving schools do too.

Old 05-08-2022, 04:18 PM
KCZ

4,669 posts, read 3,663,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
Bob Bondurant's driving school has a course like that. Surely many other real actual driving schools do too.

Bob Bondurant had a great school. However, his latest bimbo wife and her son gained control of the business and bankrupted it and the assets were sold to a group of investors including Ant Anstead and Jensen Button, who opened the Radford Racing School at the former Bondurant facility. They have a teen driving class, and their instructors are top-notch. Bob died last year.

Old 05-09-2022, 08:37 AM

1,216 posts, read 510,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
You don’t buy a 17 year old kid an M5… Given a car like that, any 17 year old boy is going to be reckless.
So that should be against the law?LOL

Old 05-09-2022, 08:40 AM

1,216 posts, read 510,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
He's a rich white kid. If history has taught us anything, he will barely be punished. I mean, we don't want to ruin his life or anything.
Wow this thread is littered with class and race warfare. Looks like most of the people chiming in never got invited to the cool kids party in HS. Drunk illegals plow through other cars killing people daily in the USA.

Old 05-09-2022, 10:48 AM

50,748 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Lagos View Post
So that should be against the law?LOL
Where did she say that?? Seemed like she was just saying its stupid and irresponsible, which it is. The parents giving a 17 year old a 500 HP car will most definitely be part of the lawsuit. It was an accident waiting to happen.

Old 05-09-2022, 10:51 AM

50,748 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Wow this thread is littered with class and race warfare. Looks like most of the people chiming in never got invited to the cool kids party in HS. Drunk illegals plow through other cars killing people daily in the USA.
If the perp is drunk, you get a lot of jail time. Unfortunately without being drunk, the penalties are not very harsh even if you kill someone. The kid who killed the young woman racing in his Lamborghini got 7-9 months, which was the max sentence. If the kid had been drunk he could have gotten years. BUT there is a disctinction for class in many cases. The "Affluenza" teen who was drunk (3x the legal limit) and high (pot and Valium) and killed 4 people served less than 2 years because the judge found he was so spoiled he couldn't tell right from wrong. So let's not pretend those with lots of money are treated the same as the rest of us.

You think this kid was "cool" for driving this fast and recklessly??

Old 05-12-2022, 03:24 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,858,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
Your daughter is actually going to become a better driver if she gets experience driving a vehicle WITHOUT the latest safety gimmicky gadgets. Lane sensors, adaptive cruise control, backup cams and front collision sensors inhibit a person's developing their reflexes, instincts and overall driving skills.
When I say safety features, I don't mean the driving assists... I mean airbags, safety structure, etc.

No way in hell I'm putting my daughter in "a beater." In the event something does go wrong, I want her coming back safe.

Old 05-12-2022, 03:27 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,858,983 times
Quote:
There are plenty of rich white kids who are given nice cars and drive them to "the cool kid parties," they just don't take a TikTok video of themselves going 95 on a surface street while doing so... No one's coming down on them. This kid killed a family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events