Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2022, 04:46 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 10 hours ago)

27,160 posts, read 13,444,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
It's not legal to marry a pet in the UK, so the “marriage” is a spiritual one and not legally binding.

Explained here:
https://metro.co.uk/2019/07/31/legal...ects-10493582/

Obviously marrying an animal is not legal, however the Government has recently introduced a new standard tenancy agreement to help renters with well behaved pets.

Whilst private landlords are being encouraged to allow pets through legislation, many Local Authorities allow pets, some have a two animal limit, such as one cat and one dog, whilst an increasing number of housing associations also allow pets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOV.UK (2021)

Responsible tenants with well-behaved pets will be able to secure leases more easily through the new Model Tenancy Agreement announced by the government today (28 January 2021).

Under the new Model Tenancy Agreement, announced by Housing Minister Rt Hon Christopher Pincher MP, landlords will no longer be able to issue blanket bans on pets by default.

Instead, consent for pets will be the default position, and landlords will have to object in writing within 28 days of a written pet request from a tenant and provide a good reason.

Currently, just 7% of private landlords advertise pet friendly properties, meaning many people struggle to find suitable homes. In some cases, this has meant people have had to give up their pets all together.

The Model Tenancy Agreement is the government’s recommended contract for landlords. With figures showing that more than half of adults in the United Kingdom own a pet and many more welcoming pets into their lives during the pandemic, these changes mean more landlords will cater for responsible pet owners.

Under the new agreement, rejections should only be made where there is good reason, such as in smaller properties or flats where owning a pet could be impractical. To ensure landlords are protected, tenants will continue to have a legal duty to repair or cover the cost of any damage to the property.

New standard tenancy agreement to help renters with well behaved pets - GOV.UK (2021)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2022, 06:08 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,545,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
How is that marriage legally binding to the landlord? Are we supposed to believe she has brilliantly fouled the landlord's eviction plans? What a waste-of-time news report.

I love cats/dogs too, but if an apartment complex doesn't accept pets, find another. Other tenants may have moved in there because of that No Pets rule. Phobias... allergies... odors and pet hair... all of it plays a role when deciding on an apartment.

That's like moving into a non-smoking complex and then smoking anyway, and claiming the landlord is discriminating against you... or something.

It's not news, it's click bait. I originally saw this thread when it was first posted. I figured it would drop down really fast because it was click bait, was surprised to see 20 comments to it.

Agree with all of the above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by staystill View Post
why didn't she just make the cat her emotionally support pet? there is a man here who has huge golden retriever and he gets away with haveing a large dog say it's his emotional support pet. He sold his house and moved in the condo then wanted to retire but couldn't because SS wasn't enough. He made a decent salary but SS is much lower. So he got a lawyer apparently a good one and got SSDI. That's how you get to keep your pet and get more money when you don't have children as dependents.

I want to know why she didn't try the emotional pet scam too.

SSDI is less than social security would be. I don't know how your friend is doing better with it then their own SS when they made decent money.

If he is entitled to a pension, that will help when he can claim it.

Old 04-28-2022, 06:55 AM

602 posts, read 504,681 times
Back when gay marriage was being debated some people were claiming absurdities like it would lead to interspecies marriage. I guess that has happened!

Old 04-28-2022, 09:43 AM

22,331 posts, read 29,421,443 times
This would be me

Old 04-28-2022, 09:53 AM

50,748 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyXY View Post
Back when gay marriage was being debated some people were claiming absurdities like it would lead to interspecies marriage. I guess that has happened!
It hasn’t, because it’s not a legal marriage. It’s just a woman with some issues trying whatever she can to not lose her pet. There’s no larger societal implications.

Old 04-28-2022, 12:16 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,316,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
It hasn’t, because it’s not a legal marriage. It’s just a woman with some issues trying whatever she can to not lose her pet. There’s no larger societal implications.
You're beginning to sound like an inter-speciesa-phobe!

Old 04-28-2022, 12:21 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,213,138 times
The landlord should declare them both pets now.

Old 04-28-2022, 10:44 PM

2,649 posts, read 1,177,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
It's not news, it's click bait. I originally saw this thread when it was first posted. I figured it would drop down really fast because it was click bait, was surprised to see 20 comments to it.

Agree with all of the above.

I want to know why she didn't try the emotional pet scam too.

SSDI is less than social security would be. I don't know how your friend is doing better with it then their own SS when they made decent money.

If he is entitled to a pension, that will help when he can claim it.
Nope not less, not anymore. That's why so many people are filing for it when their regular SS isn't what they think is enough. Not everyone makes a lot of money on their job to put more into their SS. Look it up and see for yourself. They have a calculator now too to see if you can get an idea of what your monthly payments will be. Now people on Social Security Disability get more when added to their regular Social Security. That is why I say they get more. Because it's added to regular social security. I don't think he gets a pension and that's why he was so upset about his regular social security. People do not like that so many people are getting government assistance for other stupid reasons that this is what they do if they qualify. Now some people can even work a few hours while collecting. That is a stupid thing to allow if they are disabled how the hell can they be able to work. Disabled is not like being handicapped. Disabled use to be thought of as disabled like a car unable to do anything.

Old 04-28-2022, 11:13 PM

23,866 posts, read 33,545,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staystill View Post
Nope not less, not anymore. That's why so many people are filing for it when their regular SS isn't what they think is enough. Not everyone makes a lot of money on their job to put more into their SS. Look it up and see for yourself. They have a calculator now too to see if you can get an idea of what your monthly payments will be. Now people on Social Security Disability get more when added to their regular Social Security. That is why I say they get more. Because it's added to regular social security. I don't think he gets a pension and that's why he was so upset about his regular social security. People do not like that so many people are getting government assistance for other stupid reasons that this is what they do if they qualify. Now some people can even work a few hours while collecting. That is a stupid thing to allow if they are disabled how the hell can they be able to work. Disabled is not like being handicapped. Disabled use to be thought of as disabled like a car unable to do anything.

I'm also on SSDI. You do not get SS in addition to disability, it is one or the other, disability is a reduced rate of social security from everything I've seen written on the subject plus posts by others in the retirement section. Even mine is reduced compared to what I'd get at age 62, 65 or 67 FRA.

It is possible he is getting welfare benefits that make it more. He would be entitled to welfare, probably EBT cash and food stamps. That would make it more.

Old 04-29-2022, 02:42 AM

6,792 posts, read 2,903,071 times
Hmmm . . .isn't being physically able to consummate the marriage a legal requirement for validity?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events