Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2022, 10:57 AM

334 posts, read 520,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
So did I.

I've come to the conclusion that there is NO good reason why any vehicle manufactured for civilian use on public roadways needs to be capable of a traveling speed of over 65 MPH. None whatsoever.
Because the interstate speed limits are 70mph+ in most states

Are there not enough laws and regulations for you yet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2022, 11:44 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Yep. These were not two 17-year-old kids drag-racing (which would have been bad enough!), but Perez was a 49-year-old man!
Maybe a gang-banger

Old 04-29-2022, 02:30 PM

10,895 posts, read 7,389,984 times
Quote:
So did I.

I've come to the conclusion that there is NO good reason why any vehicle manufactured for civilian use on public roadways needs to be capable of a traveling speed of over 65 MPH. None whatsoever.
Many states allow highway speeds of 75 or even 80 mph. I love Idaho just for that!

But your point is good; why should a street car be capable of speeds over 100?

Maybe young people (and previous offenders) should not be allowed to own or drive sports cars--make 'em drive mom cars! Or put governors on their cars that prevent speeding.

Old 04-29-2022, 05:26 PM

16,556 posts, read 10,630,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
Many states allow highway speeds of 75 or even 80 mph. I love Idaho just for that!

But your point is good; why should a street car be capable of speeds over 100?

Maybe young people (and previous offenders) should not be allowed to own or drive sports cars--make 'em drive mom cars! Or put governors on their cars that prevent speeding.
I like this idea. Instead of punishing the people who drive their cars responsibly, punish those who don't. Those who recklessly speed (however that is defined), assuming that they are allowed to keep their driving privilege at all, their car should be set to whatever the speed limit was on the road on which they were caught speeding. Doing 90 in a 55? Your car is set to 55 maximum. Doing 50 in a 25? Your car is set to 25 maximum. If your new maximum is too slow to be used on the interstates, that's your problem. Surface streets for you, until you've served the length of your punishment. Caught using any other car? Say goodbye to your license and hello to a nice comfy jail cell.

Old 04-29-2022, 06:39 PM

4,045 posts, read 4,430,733 times
Ban muscle cars....nothing but trouble.

Old 04-29-2022, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
we visited Albuquerque a couple of years ago. Many drivers were aggressive, not paying attention, and didn't generally know what they were doing.

We live in Tucson, where red-light-running is normal, but Albuquerque was obnoxious.
Thanks for the warning,I was looking at moving from northeast out to southwest...

Old 04-29-2022, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Really? I've never once had anyone try to challenge me to a street race. I guess driving a Dad-Mobile (i.e. a Toyota Camry) pays off!
I've had punks beside me,whether it was a Volvo or a Saturn. I might've risked my vehicles but I still smoked em;

Old 04-29-2022, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
When I had my Trans Am back in my younger days, everyone in a sports car challenged me to races if we were both first in line in our lanes at a red light. Other people in sports cars also almost always let me into traffic. It felt almost like you unknowingly joined some secret club. I did race them because I was young and felt like I had to represent females lol. But I only raced off the line, once one of us pulled ahead of the other I stopped.
That's why I switched to driving police cars...if you can't beat em,scare em

Old 04-29-2022, 06:45 PM

Quote:
So did I.

Everyone should be issued old Ford vans,that are governed at 55...

Old 04-30-2022, 05:36 AM

50,786 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I like this idea. Instead of punishing the people who drive their cars responsibly, punish those who don't. Those who recklessly speed (however that is defined), assuming that they are allowed to keep their driving privilege at all, their car should be set to whatever the speed limit was on the road on which they were caught speeding. Doing 90 in a 55? Your car is set to 55 maximum. Doing 50 in a 25? Your car is set to 25 maximum. If your new maximum is too slow to be used on the interstates, that's your problem. Surface streets for you, until you've served the length of your punishment. Caught using any other car? Say goodbye to your license and hello to a nice comfy jail cell.
There’s a danger in doing that, sometimes you have to speed. If I’m passing someone on a two-lane 50 mph road who is going 45, I can’t pass at 50 or even 55, because there are cars coming in the other lane. You have to pass that other person as quickly as possible or you’ll endanger not only yourself but the people in the other lane. I think it’s too much an intrusion of government into peoples private property. And what happens when that car set to 50 is on a highway with a 70 mph speed limit? Going 20 mph under the speed limit would create a danger for everyone on that road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events