Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2022, 08:46 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
At 14, he'd be getting his how-to info from his peers, not the schools. Well, and in his particular case, quite possibly from his perv father.
At that age, kids dont pay too much attention to what their parents tell them, its their friends and classmates that have the most influence on them.

I remember when I was young, my friends and I would discuss 'girls' frequently, we were scared to death to talk about this around our parents, we assumed we would get into trouble for it. The first time I was with a girl, I had NO IDEA what I was doing, it was so awkward and embarrassing, however, in my case, the girl was more experienced than I was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2022, 10:59 AM

50,788 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
At 14, he'd be getting his how-to info from his peers, not the schools. Well, and in his particular case, quite possibly from his perv father.

Today I wouldn't discount things he has seen/learned online as well. It's not hard for kids to get on adult sites. All they have to do is click "yes" when the pop-up comes up saying "Are you over 18?"

And a teen who is savvy about computers can most likely get on the dark web too, where they have actual rape and murder videos.

Old 05-24-2022, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
At that age, kids dont pay too much attention to what their parents tell them, its their friends and classmates that have the most influence on them.

I remember when I was young, my friends and I would discuss 'girls' frequently, we were scared to death to talk about this around our parents, we assumed we would get into trouble for it. The first time I was with a girl, I had NO IDEA what I was doing, it was so awkward and embarrassing, however, in my case, the girl was more experienced than I was.

It's not so much what they tell them. Given dad's history, I would be very surprised if this kid wasn't abused growing up.

Old 05-24-2022, 11:04 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Today I wouldn't discount things he has seen/learned online as well. It's not hard for kids to get on adult sites. All they have to do is click "yes" when the pop-up comes up saying "Are you over 18?"

And a teen who is savvy about computers can most likely get on the dark web too, where they have actual rape and murder videos.
Probably not a coincidence how easily accessible this stuff is today.

If they truly wanted to restrict young kids from this content online, that could be done. There is likely a purpose in allowing them easy access, but this will not be apparent until they are grown ups...I DREAD to think what is going to be acceptable behavior in 20-30yrs time.

Old 05-24-2022, 11:08 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:

Bear in mind the topic of this thread; a 14-year-old who committed a murder and a sex crime, who had a sex-offender father (Context is everything.) . He got that interest in a criminal level of activity (not just sex) from somewhere, and it wasn't his peers. But as I posted earlier, it would have been normal for him to pick up the basic how-to info from peers. But also, boys that age (and younger) DO pay attention to what a parent is exposing them to, when it has to do with sex.

Old 05-24-2022, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Probably not a coincidence how easily accessible this stuff is today.

If they truly wanted to restrict young kids from this content online, that could be done. There is likely a purpose in allowing them easy access, but this will not be apparent until they are grown ups...I DREAD to think what is going to be acceptable behavior in 20-30yrs time.

Yes, we are becoming desensitized to violence, and it is a scary thing to contemplate for the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events