Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2022, 02:41 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,138,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
No. Instead, each of us need to take more personal responsibility.

This nation was founded by fierce individualists who wanted the minimum of government, and wanted that government to leave citizens the hell alone.
In a fantasy world, never gonna happen in the real one. I mean we have to warn people that plastic bags aren't toys to go over heads for pete's sake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2022, 03:23 PM
KCZ

4,669 posts, read 3,663,822 times
Quote:

This nation was founded by fierce individualists who wanted the minimum of government, and wanted that government to leave citizens the hell alone.

But now people would rather not take personal responsibility, have given up individualism for Facebook's echo chambers, and want laws on coffee temperatures and an enormous court system so they can sue anyone for anything at any time.

Old 05-15-2022, 03:41 PM

50,748 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
If these chains had a policy of where they had to let all coffee cool down to a temperature where it would be fine to spill it on you before handling it or giving it to a customer then all these people would go somewhere else to get their coffee.

It seems pretty obvious to me that given the nature of 'fresh' coffee and the sheer number of cups of said fresh coffee being brewed and served every day that, no matter what precautions are taken, accidents are bound to occur with some frequency.
I think the takeout containers they used to hold the coffee is probably more the problem than the coffee. If they use very shallow drink holder trays, it would be very easy for the person to try to hand it into the window of the car and inadvertently tip/spill it. She was standing and hitting it into the window with someone sitting probably tilted it a bit. Because of the container they used, the tallest drink tumbled out. Of the three coffees she got, it was the extra large one which spilled on her, which was probably only held in by the bottom 2 inches and since it was tall, it could very easily tip. If they made cardboard cup holders that came higher up the side of the cup they would probably eliminated a lot of that risk.

Which is exactly what the lawyer is saying if you read the link. They are not focusing on the temperature, but rather the container tray they put the coffee cups in.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 05-15-2022 at 03:56 PM..

Old 05-15-2022, 03:44 PM

50,748 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
But now people would rather not take personal responsibility, have given up individualism for Facebook's echo chambers, and want laws on coffee temperatures and an enormous court system so they can sue anyone for anything at any time.
If it happened as the woman said, and the worker spilled it on her, then how exactly should the woman take personal responsibility?

Old 05-15-2022, 04:42 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,472,094 times
Quote:
What are you talking about? Personal responsibility on her part? What does that mean?

Look. The containers are faulty and we all know it. They are poorly designed for today's drinks. Maybe they sufficed when coffee cups were small, but they aren't capable of holding larger drinks securely.

What is it about her actions that make you think she acted irresponsible?

Old 05-15-2022, 04:43 PM

30,143 posts, read 11,778,294 times
Quote:

This is not a government issue. Its a person suing a business. The government could ban such litigation but then that is government intrusion. I do think the McDonalds case there is no law suit there. I have read it. The woman spilled the coffee on herself. Its hot who cares if its 160 or 200. Don't spill it on yourself! Stop blaming corporations for simply trying to provide a product people want to buy.

Coffee is hot and dangerous if you spill it. But if an employee drops the coffee in your lap there is liability there.

Old 05-15-2022, 10:52 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,854,747 times
Quote:
The employee claims she was eating something so she grabbed the tray with one hand, tried to put it in the other seat, and spilled the coffee on herself. She said/he said.

Eating and drinking in a car is hazardous for a lot of reasons.
There are cameras in most drive throughs
Someone behind her might have had dashboard cam that caught the action

Old 05-15-2022, 10:55 PM
KCZ

4,669 posts, read 3,663,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
There are cameras in most drive throughs
Someone behind her might have had dashboard cam that caught the action

I don't believe she was in the drive-through at the time. I think she'd already been given her food, pulled off to the side, and the employee brought the coffee outside to her.

Old 05-16-2022, 09:31 AM

5,655 posts, read 3,146,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post
Get coffee from a drive through, accept the risks. Thats what life is, a bunch of risks. Don't want the extreme slightest possibility (but still a possibility) of getting burned? Avoid what may cause it.
Quite simple really!
The world doesn't need to hold anybody's hand!
Really, it's NOT that simple. It's pretty well established (remember the McDonald's case) on what a safe temperature is. Clearly, the Dunkin Donuts coffee was way too hot. That's one thing. Next, yes, those stupid coffee holders are terrible. They're not secure at all.

It would've been better to hand over the coffee holder, and THEN one cup at a time to put in the coffee holder...but geez, trying to hand over THREE CUPS OF COFFEE in the coffee holder through the drive thru?

Old 05-16-2022, 10:09 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,269,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
I don't drink coffee anymore, and when I did, I made it @ home.

Is that how hot it is? 169 degrees F it said in the video when they took a random temperature reading.

Sounds a bit much, imagine 200 degree coffee in your neither regions, no thank you!

Says here, https://findanyanswer.com/what-temperature-will-scald
I also just drink coffee I make at home, but this weekend I had some at the hotel we stayed in - their breakfast bar.

Holy toledo! That stuff was burning hot. It was delicious - I just put extra cream in it and let it cool down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events