Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2022, 01:16 PM

51,015 posts, read 36,724,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I used to love playing in rough waves as a kid. Now I will only go in when it is calm or gently rolling and the waves break close to the sand. I can't get up so fast when I get knocked down.

It pains me because I love being in the ocean, but if i have doubts about the roughness, I just wade in and splash water on myself like the old lady I'm becoming.
As long as you aren’t wearing a flowered bathing cap yet, you’re alright!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2022, 01:17 PM

51,015 posts, read 36,724,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
You have to move south where the waves don't knock you down

I remember as a kid going to Pt Pleasant NJ and there were ropes in the water to hold on to against the rough waves.
That’s not really typical though, perhaps it was ahead of or just past a storm?

Old 05-21-2022, 02:54 PM

88,733 posts, read 85,100,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
You have to move south where the waves don't knock you down

I remember as a kid going to Pt Pleasant NJ and there were ropes in the water to hold on to against the rough waves.
I have been to and liked the beaches in North Myrtle Beach, SC, and Oak Island, NC. Also spent a lot of time on the Gulf side of Florida, which is calm and nice.

Old 05-21-2022, 02:55 PM

22,062 posts, read 13,093,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I have been to and liked the beaches in North Myrtle Beach, SC, and Oak Island, NC. Also spent a lot of time on the Gulf side of Florida, which is calm and nice.
The gulf is like a swimming pool. Granted, it's "safer," but that's just not the ocean to me.

Different strokes!

Which reminds me, there's a "grey sand versus white sand" thread I need to chime in on.

Old 05-21-2022, 03:04 PM

14,379 posts, read 11,788,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
I remember a time when there was a lifeguard at every stand on every beach in Southern California. Now you hardly see them. I couldn't believe it when I saw one at Rosie's Dog Beach a month ago. (Long Beach, CA) He wasn't there for very long either. He was mostly patrolling the huge stretch of beach in a big red truck.
The busier the beach is, the more lifeguards will be there. At least, during the late spring through fall months at the OC beaches, there are always lifeguards on duty during the day. I remember one summer day in Laguna Beach when a couple of rogue waves came in, and and we watched lifeguards fish three or four kids out of the water in a matter of minutes.

It's true, the lifeguard stands will be closed up during the cold season, but at that time the water is SO cold that most people don't go in at all unless they are surfers or scuba divers with wetsuits.

Old 05-21-2022, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
As long as you aren’t wearing a flowered bathing cap yet, you’re alright!
Lmao, God forbid!

Old 05-21-2022, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
The gulf is like a swimming pool. Granted, it's "safer," but that's just not the ocean to me.

Different strokes!

Which reminds me, there's a "grey sand versus white sand" thread I need to chime in on.
Nope, already said I prefer the waves. But I had now-former in-laws in SW FL, and you can stand in the water and hold a beer.

Old 05-21-2022, 04:06 PM

Here is some more information on how and why this happens. More deaths per year from sand collapses than shark attacks.

Hope that at least someone learning about this prevents another death.

https://nypost.com/2022/05/18/how-do...re-teen-death/

Old 05-22-2022, 07:18 AM

11,089 posts, read 6,957,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
True. Back in the 50's/60's the beaches weren't open unless lifeguards were on duty.
Yeah! I forgot about that. The same was true for swimming pools.

Old 05-22-2022, 07:22 AM

11,089 posts, read 6,957,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
The busier the beach is, the more lifeguards will be there. At least, during the late spring through fall months at the OC beaches, there are always lifeguards on duty during the day. I remember one summer day in Laguna Beach when a couple of rogue waves came in, and and we watched lifeguards fish three or four kids out of the water in a matter of minutes.

It's true, the lifeguard stands will be closed up during the cold season, but at that time the water is SO cold that most people don't go in at all unless they are surfers or scuba divers with wetsuits.
True. I do remember Laguna as a child having a lot of lifeguards (Huntington too). I haven't been there in many years (my stomping ground is now further north). One of the things that goes on at Rosie's is that directly south of the line where dogs are not allowed is a vey popular windsurfing beach. One would think they would provide more lifeguards there due to all the windsurfing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events