Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2022, 03:14 PM

88,528 posts, read 84,719,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
I've dug holes by not 10 feet. Why weren't the parents nearby to tell him to stop digging that deep??
Well, the kid was 18 and his sister 17. You'd think by then the parents would feel free to not be hovering over him, but I really don't know the answer to your question. Maybe they didn't know any better, either.

Old 05-19-2022, 03:16 PM

2,684 posts, read 2,398,512 times
Such a scary freak accident. I'm not an engineer or anything along those lines. I know never to let my kids dig sand/snow tunnels due to risk of collapse but I never would have thought that this could happen with a hole dug straight down in the sand (with frisbees, no less).

Just heartbreaking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2022, 03:17 PM

3,560 posts, read 1,651,685 times
Guess he wont be getting that engineering degree after all.....

Old 05-19-2022, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
There seems to be a big problem these days with digging very deep holes at the beach.
You should see the size of the "beach shovels" they sell in the tourist places...practically a full size shovel.
The beach rakers cannot rake the beach near them, turtles are getting stuck in them, people are breaking ankles after falling in them while walking, etc.

I just don't see the reason why one digs a deep hole and then walks away.
Sand castles, sure..but 3-4-5 foot holes ?
Well, in this case, he didn't walk away, now did he.

I didn't know this was a thing, and I've been living near the ocean since 2009 and have gone to the beaches regularly all my life before moving near them. All we did as kids and what my kid did was maybe build a castle or a town and dig a moat around it that you kept trying to keep filled with water. I never aspired to ten-foot holes.

Old 05-19-2022, 04:23 PM

2,161 posts, read 1,151,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vabeachgirlNYC View Post
That's always so sad to hear. Sand and snow. It happens too often. It is so preventable. I wonder if any rules about holes were posted? If not, it is still the responsibility of the beach goers to find out what rules you need to follow while at the beach.

I once fell in a hole while I was playing with my dogs on the beach. I was so mad that whoever dug it just left it. I'm lucky I didn't break my ankle. It's illegal to dig a hole bigger than 2 feet here or leave it unattended. You also have to refill it when you leave it. Maybe I'm wrong but I thought NJ had similar laws.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
OK, but since you were commenting on a thread about a specific story, I thought your comment about leaving holes unattended was supposed to be somehow related to this story and that you thought someone had left the hole unattended.

I live near that beach, or about half an hour north of it, anyway, about six miles inland from the ocean. I don't know if there are rules about leaving holes unattended on the beach in NJ.
I don't know how you thought that.
The 18 year old is old enough to vote but not smart enough to know he could die by doing what he did? Lucky his younger sister survived. And whoever said "where were the parents?" He's 18, why would it matter where his parents were?

Old 05-19-2022, 04:23 PM
KCZ

4,663 posts, read 3,660,797 times
The same thing happened to a teenager digging a tunnel in the dunes in Utah last week.
https://www.cnn.com/2022/05/17/us/te...pse/index.html

Old 05-19-2022, 04:38 PM

23,265 posts, read 18,787,820 times
Quote:
Remember how exciting it was as a kid to get a new pail and shovel before going to the beach?
YES! Oh, don't forget the new garish inflatable beach ball and towel! My mother enjoyed decking out her 3 little blonde kids in new bathing suits too, but I usually resisted rather vehemently. Couldn't stand to wear them. I preferred salt faded gym shorts and a ratty oversized T shirt. My loving mom wistfully hoped she'd turn her tomboy daughter into a girl eventually but it never worked .

Last edited by Parnassia; 05-19-2022 at 05:10 PM..

Old 05-19-2022, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vabeachgirlNYC View Post
I don't know how you thought that.
The 18 year old is old enough to vote but not smart enough to know he could die by doing what he did? Lucky his younger sister survived. And whoever said "where were the parents?" He's 18, why would it matter where his parents were?
Lol, because talking about leaving holes unattended on beaches in VA is like, ya know, off-topic.

But OK, now I am curious as to whether we have a law like that, too. Going to ask on the NJ forum and see if anyone knows.

Old 05-19-2022, 05:17 PM

1,904 posts, read 1,044,280 times
Quote:
The boy and his sister were digging a ten-foot hole with frisbees when it collapsed. The girl was rescued, but the boy died.

So adding a WAPO and NY Post

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...hole-collapse/

https://nypost.com/2022/05/18/teen-k...se-was-quirky/
Horrible day at the Beach.

Not sure how the Sister made it out but the Brother didn't....sounds weird?

Old 05-19-2022, 05:25 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,468,632 times
Even a five-foot hole requires someone to jump into it to keep digging further down. Where's the commonsense here? This is such a senseless death.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events