Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2022, 09:13 PM

9,511 posts, read 9,094,475 times

Advertisements

Regardless of a low pay raise for federal employees, medical coverage is about to get much more expensive for federal employees in 2023. The blame is being put on inflation and surging drugs prices. More tough times lies ahead for federal employees.

https://federalnewsnetwork.com/open-...alth-premiums/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2022, 12:08 PM

2,898 posts, read 2,146,933 times
premiums are going up for a lot of folks as noted in this article

https://www.govexec.com/pay-benefits...t-year/377915/

a 4.6% pay raise still puts more money in one's pocket than 8.7% premium increase (which is an average) takes out

Old 10-02-2022, 01:31 PM

43,132 posts, read 18,298,681 times
One word to describe it....inflation folks, inflation.

Too much money is in circulation so your dollar is not worth what it was so you need more dollars now.

Old 10-03-2022, 05:35 AM

23,870 posts, read 33,581,353 times
It's going up for all of us, why is everyone only interested in federal employees who seem to have great coverage according to those articles, it's national coverage where we only get state coverage then out of network for anything in another state. They also added coverage for transgender surgery as well as reproductive help. Both are not cheap, someone has to pay for it.

Medicare increased costs too, we got pounded last year, it went up double of what it normally does then they said oops, we didn't approve the alzheimers drug but we're not refunding your money.

Federal employees get some great retirement benefits, they also can have their student loans forgiven after 10 years of payments. For some that could be a few hundred thousand dollars.

Everyone got raised because of COVID, most likely all the testing that had to be done. They're also saying medication costs. Why are meds costing so much?

Old 10-03-2022, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
It's going up for all of us, why is everyone only interested in federal employees who seem to have great coverage according to those articles, it's national coverage where we only get state coverage then out of network for anything in another state. They also added coverage for transgender surgery as well as reproductive help. Both are not cheap, someone has to pay for it.

Medicare increased costs too, we got pounded last year, it went up double of what it normally does then they said oops, we didn't approve the alzheimers drug but we're not refunding your money.

Federal employees get some great retirement benefits, they also can have their student loans forgiven after 10 years of payments. For some that could be a few hundred thousand dollars.

Everyone got raised because of COVID, most likely all the testing that had to be done. They're also saying medication costs. Why are meds costing so much?
I'm just going to clarify that the loan forgiveness is very hard to get and it is not available to everyone and has significant strings attached. it is not as you make it out to be in your post.

Old 10-03-2022, 10:57 AM

50,825 posts, read 36,527,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post

That's what I was thinking. They have Cadillac insurance compared to most of us, and our premiums rise, too.

Old 10-03-2022, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
That's what I was thinking. They have Cadillac insurance compared to most of us, and our premiums rise, too.

I've always wondered what exactly a 'Cadillac plan' was so I took a look.

FEHB certainly offers some Cadillac plans (and not in all areas), I know I don't have one of those

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadillac_insurance_plan

Old 10-03-2022, 11:15 AM

50,825 posts, read 36,527,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old fed View Post
I've always wondered what exactly a 'Cadillac plan' was so I took a look.

FEHB certainly offers some Cadillac plans (and not in all areas), I know I don't have one of those

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadillac_insurance_plan
My niece does (she's a teacher in NJ). I am so jealous of her eyeglasses, they are absolutely gorgeous, the prettiest I have even seen, and I know they are designer. She can choose any frames she wants. Our insurance, IF you pay the extra $20 a month to have vision covered at all, pays up to $150.00. Last time I went to Pearle Vision for an eye exam, I picked the plainest, cheapest frames they had and they were still going to cost me north of $450.00.

Now I buy $20 frames on Zenni.

Old 10-03-2022, 09:21 PM

3,766 posts, read 4,107,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
Regardless of a low pay raise for federal employees, medical coverage is about to get much more expensive for federal employees in 2023. The blame is being put on inflation and surging drugs prices. More tough times lies ahead for federal employees.

https://federalnewsnetwork.com/open-...alth-premiums/
I don't think that the phrases "tough times" and "federal employees" should be used in the same sentence. If one wants to see some tough times, they should look at people who never worked for the government, particularly those who don't have employer provided health insurance.

Old 10-04-2022, 03:02 AM

23,870 posts, read 33,581,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
I don't think that the phrases "tough times" and "federal employees" should be used in the same sentence. If one wants to see some tough times, they should look at people who never worked for the government, particularly those who don't have employer provided health insurance.

I agree. They have some of the best health insurance policies that can be gotten from an employer. You can't buy a similar plan on your own or through Obama care.

They don't know how good they have it because they don't have to look on the Obama care web site, they have no clue what so ever.

Similar for their prescriptions, which most likely covers just about everything fairly easy with the doctor contacting insurance that it's needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events