Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2022, 08:46 AM

30,145 posts, read 11,783,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by L00k4ward View Post
Where is the cancel culture when one truly needs it?
This guys need to be flashed down the drain alongside the likes of David Cronenberg who reach their notoriety and piles of cash thanks to the shock “value” of their so-called “art”

Proliferation of gore is nauseating.

As if our youngsters need more disturbing mental images in addition to what already entered their psyche
It isn’t the guns we need to blame for the indiscriminate violence in the society
Its not my cup of tea but lets stop with the cancel culture nonsense. And what does flashing people down the drain even mean?

You nor anyone has the right to tell people what they can legally create nor what adult can legally watch. Let the free market dictate. They make money on stuff like this because some people want to see it. Parents have be proactive on what they allow their kids to watch or do. I only wish this was the worst thing out there. I remember back in the day certain rock and rap records were blamed for violence and suicides. And some folks wanted to ban them. That was the wrong approach back then and it is also the wrong approach today.

Last edited by Oklazona Bound; 05-27-2022 at 09:03 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2022, 09:27 AM

102,203 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
But she's right. The first book of AA Milne's Winnie the Pooh is in the public domain. Disney's Winnie the Pooh characters and stories are not.
Oh, I see. That's interesting. Different copyright law applies to the two different categories. OK, thank you.

Perhaps Pooh could sue the producers of the new film for defamation. But he'd need a lawyer for that. Where is Snoopy when you need him?

Old 05-27-2022, 09:55 AM

88,562 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post

I won't be watching either.

The Hundred Acre Wood in Winnie the Pooh is actually Ashdown Forest in East Sussex, and they have just planted some new trees as plans to regenerate the ancient forest.

Lots of famous children's books linked to different areas of the UK from Narnia to Lord of the Rings to Watership Down to Alice in Wonderland etc etc etc.

As for Humty Dumpty, I believe he was originally a large gun at Colchester Garrison rather than an egg, but that's nursery rhymes for you, and I think Jack and Jill has Italian origins.

In to the Woods was a good US adaptation encompassing different fairy tales, however I think I'll skip Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters, and Pride and Prejudice and Zombies.
I read an interesting theory on an English town that claims Jack and Jill originated in their village centuries ago. The story was one of young lovers. The young man died in some sort of accident and the woman died not long after giving birth to their offspring (Jack fell down and broke his crown, and Jill came tumbling after.) The people of the village raised the orphan son. The person who wrote the article I read said it could be just a legend but one curious fact caught his eye: There are a number of people in the area with the surname "Gilson" (Jill's son), supposedly descended from Jack and Jill's baby.

It's not the only story put forth about the nursery rhyme, though.

Off the Beaten Track in Somerset: Jack and Jill Hill, Kilmersdon

Old 05-27-2022, 10:06 AM

10,072 posts, read 14,952,774 times
Bad Winnie, very bad.

Old 05-27-2022, 10:20 AM

102,203 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Bad Winnie, very bad.
It wasn't him. It was an impersonator.

Old 05-27-2022, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
It wasn't him. It was an impersonator.
That's what all the defenders of Winnie say.

Old 05-27-2022, 06:47 PM

2,161 posts, read 1,152,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I'm actually looking forward to it
I'm going to watch it! I so hope Eeyore becomes a badass in it!

Old 05-27-2022, 06:50 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,250,937 times
This is a symptom of a sick and dying culture.

Bring on the barbarians!

Old 05-27-2022, 07:12 PM

I thought about this and it hit me, poor Winnie couldn't find honey soon enough. The lack of honey in his system made him not so nice. Anyone that crossed his path was…

Make sure there is honey for Winnie to find everywhere he goes, so this is not repeated.

See kids, the lack of honey.

Old 05-27-2022, 07:52 PM

3,933 posts, read 2,190,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Its not my cup of tea but lets stop with the cancel culture nonsense. And what does flashing people down the drain even mean?

You nor anyone has the right to tell people what they can legally create nor what adult can legally watch. Let the free market dictate. They make money on stuff like this because some people want to see it. Parents have be proactive on what they allow their kids to watch or do. I only wish this was the worst thing out there. I remember back in the day certain rock and rap records were blamed for violence and suicides. And some folks wanted to ban them. That was the wrong approach back then and it is also the wrong approach today.
You want to talk rights?
Funny.
I guess you never heard of free speech. I can say what I think. I can criticize any ideas expressed by anyone and judge as you call it “the art legally created”.

It was still a free country this morning.

Your criticism of my post would be more appropriate if I was in position to censor them, but I am not that omnipotent. As a society we regulate a lot of things which could be better decided by free market as you say. Interest rates. Prostitution. Drugs. Affirmative action.
We even limit “artistic self-expression” - have you heard any swearing words in children’s cartoons or even in “The Simpsons”?

You made your point clear that you don’t believe that involvement in violent media promote violence. I do believe that it does for some people. I d rather let them swear.

Last edited by L00k4ward; 05-27-2022 at 08:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events