Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2022, 11:12 AM

50,748 posts, read 36,458,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Silly! Everyone knows animals don't wear pants.
Why so many cartoon characters wear shirts and not pants has always been a mystery. Mickey wears shorts but no shirt. Pooh, Donald Duck (and his nephews) and Porky Pig wear shirts but no pants. Yogi Bear wears no pants or shirt, but wears a tie.

My bf sometimes comes out of the bedroom in a shirt and no pants because he sleeps that way if it's chilly. We call it "Poohing it".

I think it's silly to think kids won't know to stay away from a Grizzly because they watched cartoons or had Winnie the Pooh read to them. Kids who love Winnie the Pooh are even afraid of actual Winnie the Pooh when they get to Disney and see how big he is.

Pooh has wisdom for adults, too. There was a popular book that used the wisdom of Pooh books to explain Zen and how to have a more peaceful state of mind, called the Tao of Pooh. He's a very wise bear even in his simplicity, and maybe because of his simplicity. While Rabbit is always in a hurry, and Eeyore is always worried, Pooh is very much in the moment and finds something positive in the moment.

I think it's a shame people have to sully his image.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 05-31-2022 at 11:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2022, 11:21 AM

102,203 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Why so many cartoon characters wear shirts and not pants has always been a mystery. Mickey wears shorts but no shirt. Pooh, Donald Duck (and his nephews) and Porky Pig wear shirts but no pants. Yogi Bear wears no pants or shirt, but wears a tie.

My bf sometimes comes out of the bedroom in a shirt and no pants because he sleeps that way if it's chilly. WE call it "Poohing it".

I think it's silly to think kids won't know to stay away from a Grizzly because they watched cartoons or had Winnie the Pooh read to them. Kids who love Winnie the Pooh are even afraid of actual Winnie the Pooh when they get to Disney and see how big he is.

Pooh has wisdom for adults, too. There was a popular book that used the wisdom of Pooh books to explain Zen and how to have a more peaceful state of mind, called the Tao of Pooh. He's a very wise bear even in his simplicity, and maybe because of his simplicity. While Rabbit is always in a hurry, and Eeyore is always worried, Pooh is very much in the moment and finds something positive in the moment.

I think it's a shame people have to sully his image.
The Tao of Pooh was very well done. It sort of vindicated Pooh, after being called by Rabbit "a bear of very little brain" throughout the stories.

Old 05-31-2022, 11:27 AM

88,560 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
The term is apex predator.

I don't think I'll ever be able to unsee the thread here about that where some of the CD bright bulbs were insisting that an actual black bear took care of a lost child because the child had big eyes.
I remember the thread but not the big eyes part. LOL.

I still think someone should have checked to see who in the area had rented a bear costume recently.

Old 05-31-2022, 06:05 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,949,625 times
Quote:
And here's the thing: as a parent, which would you rather your small child's tender sensibilities and growing mind have been exposed to on a regular basis in her most formative years: Bugs Bunny and friends, bashing each other over the head and Coyote blowing people up with Acme Dynamite, or a kinder, gentler animal in the form of a bear?

Growing up in the 1970's and 1980's, I had access to both, and found both appealing.

Old 05-31-2022, 09:01 PM

2,161 posts, read 1,152,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
Growing up in the 1970's and 1980's, I had access to both, and found both appealing.
For some reason, Go Go Power Rangers!, is all I could think of reading both of your post's lol!

Old 06-01-2022, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vabeachgirlNYC View Post
For some reason, Go Go Power Rangers!, is all I could think of reading both of your post's lol!
I was too old for Power Rangers, but my younger brother says he puts down the passenger window and yells "Go Power Rangers!" when he passes people on bicycles wearing that cycling getup.

Old 06-01-2022, 10:13 AM

Quote:
California has black bears. So does Canada. Probably other parts of the US do, too.

He had an alias; it was "Edward Bear." A little more dignified than WtP.
You mean Winnie the Pooh was also Edward Bear?

Never heard that.

I remembered reading how Christopher Robin Milne hated Winnie the Pooh because he was bullied in boarding school over his fame. His father was very distant to him but had built a fortune writing about his son and his toys (which were donated to the NYC Public Library, I just read when refreshing my memory about the son), and Christopher Milne refused to accept any of the money his father had made on his books. He did say he came to terms with the books by the end of his life.

Old 06-01-2022, 10:26 AM

Quote:
It's for 5 and 6 year-olds, Andy. To them, the stories, the adventures the animals have, and their unique personalities, are interesting. I'm sure, that when you were 5, it didn't take much to entertain you.

The Pooh stories have been translated into dozens of languages. Pooh is very popular in Russia, I happen to know from personal observation, and the stories were translated into Latin. I know a high school in Seattle that used the Latin Pooh book to teach Latin.

Please to not bash the Bear. Pay no attention to the moderator in the corner, who hates him.

And here's the thing: as a parent, which would you rather your small child's tender sensibilities and growing mind have been exposed to on a regular basis in her most formative years: Bugs Bunny and friends, bashing each other over the head and Coyote blowing people up with Acme Dynamite, or a kinder, gentler animal in the form of a bear?
I don't know. When my daughter was four, she asked if we could visit the grave of her grandmother for whom she is named but never met and dig her up so she could see what she looked like. Not all little kids are sweet and innocent.

I honestly don't remember if she ever read Pooh books or not. I would not have bought them, but maybe in school. I'll have to ask her what she thinks of him. She is a linguist and teacher of Mandarin, so she'll be interested in the language information, I am sure.

Old 06-01-2022, 01:57 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,322,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
Same here but two decades earlier. And never failed to tell the difference between real animals and cartoons.

Ive seen bison and grizzleys and black bear in the wild and never failed to have respect for them.

Old 06-01-2022, 02:14 PM

102,203 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
You mean Winnie the Pooh was also Edward Bear?

Never heard that.

I remembered reading how Christopher Robin Milne hated Winnie the Pooh because he was bullied in boarding school over his fame. His father was very distant to him but had built a fortune writing about his son and his toys (which were donated to the NYC Public Library, I just read when refreshing my memory about the son), and Christopher Milne refused to accept any of the money his father had made on his books. He did say he came to terms with the books by the end of his life.
See, that's a terrible thing to do to children. Was he in boarding school in grade school, or only the later years? It's such a Brit thing to do, especially for that era; his father was born around the end of the Victorian era, when the middle and upper classes held children at arm's length (or farther), children were to be "seen and not heard", and often were handed off to nannies. And what I find a bit disturbing is, that it was believed to be the nannies' job to hug them, while the parents rarely, if ever, touched them! I read the biography of a prominent woman in art circles in the US, who was raised by Victorian parents. It traumatized her for life, the lack of affection from her parents. It had a major influence on her life's trajectory.

So it was common in those days for not only fathers to be distant to their kids, but mothers, relatively speaking, as well. Given the lack of bonding between parents and children, it's not surprising, that some kids, especially in the upper classes, were shipped off to boarding school. It's amazing anyone ever came through such a childhood in relatively functional order, psychologically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events