Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2022, 11:27 PM

554 posts, read 345,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Not a lot of jobs a 14-year-old can find.
Babysitting, yard work, dog walking, house cleaning, washing cars.

She's almost old enough for a work permit, think the age is 15.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2022, 10:05 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,472,094 times
Quote:
How would doing work for Grandma pay her back the cash she took? After all, Grandma is not likely paying someone else for those services, except maybr landscaping and snow removal, so having the kid do it would not save money.
Maybe not, but the threat of slave labor might induce her to spill her guts about who she gave that money too. Either way, she's indebted to grandma.

Don't ignore that I also included sending her to juvie hall for a couple of years. What she did at her young age deserves a harsh sentence. It's called Tough Love. Grandma should have a say in all this. Let her decide if free labor will be of benefit to her.

Old 10-24-2022, 10:20 AM

2,409 posts, read 1,527,483 times

Old 10-24-2022, 10:41 AM

102,203 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Not a lot of jobs a 14-year-old can find.
Maybe not, but there are jobs that a 14-year-old can create, and some enterprising 14-year-olds do exactly that. I've seen 11-year-olds go around the neighborhood offering to weed people's yards.

I don't expect there will be a follow-up to this story, except maybe in the town where this took place. i'm curious to see if the grandmother was the girl's caregiver, and if so, what will happen next. Will she end up in the foster-care system? There's so much to this story that isn't being told.

Old 10-24-2022, 01:06 PM

9,512 posts, read 6,099,317 times
About 16 years ago, one of my sons came home from middle school with a $100 bill that another student had given him.

He said he wasn't the only student that had been gifted a $100 bill. "He gave them to a lot of us!"

I put him straight in the car & drove him back to the school & we handed it directly to the Principal.

The Principal thanked us & said he would investigate. The next day I got a call from the Principal, asking me to come in. Turns out the other student has stolen his parent's tax refund money & they were not very financially stable to begin with.

It was sad, because that student was pretty socially awkward & was trying to "make friends".

It was sad, because my son knew that this week in particular, that I was flat broke & had 6 kids at home, had hardly any food left & my son was SO proud to walk in the door with money to help. He gave me the entire $100, saying "Look mom, you can go to the grocery store now!"

It was sad, because the Principal said that they were having to contact all the other parents & some parents KNEW that their kid came home from school with $100 but didn't do anything about it. In fact, some of the kids had already spent some of the money with their parent's knowledge & they weren't going to be able to recover it all. He said I was the only parent who reported it.

What was totally amazing is that the school knew we were a low-income family & the Principal had a $50 gift card for a grocery store waiting in his office for me, as a way to say thank you! So I got to tell my son thank you so much for helping me get groceries after all, because he did the right thing.

Old 10-24-2022, 02:38 PM

16,554 posts, read 10,621,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
About 16 years ago, one of my sons came home from middle school with a $100 bill that another student had given him.

He said he wasn't the only student that had been gifted a $100 bill. "He gave them to a lot of us!"

I put him straight in the car & drove him back to the school & we handed it directly to the Principal.

The Principal thanked us & said he would investigate. The next day I got a call from the Principal, asking me to come in. Turns out the other student has stolen his parent's tax refund money & they were not very financially stable to begin with.

It was sad, because that student was pretty socially awkward & was trying to "make friends".

It was sad, because my son knew that this week in particular, that I was flat broke & had 6 kids at home, had hardly any food left & my son was SO proud to walk in the door with money to help. He gave me the entire $100, saying "Look mom, you can go to the grocery store now!"

It was sad, because the Principal said that they were having to contact all the other parents & some parents KNEW that their kid came home from school with $100 but didn't do anything about it. In fact, some of the kids had already spent some of the money with their parent's knowledge & they weren't going to be able to recover it all. He said I was the only parent who reported it.

What was totally amazing is that the school knew we were a low-income family & the Principal had a $50 gift card for a grocery store waiting in his office for me, as a way to say thank you! So I got to tell my son thank you so much for helping me get groceries after all, because he did the right thing.
Honesty is ALWAYS the best policy. You were able to spend that $50 gift card guilt-free because you knew you had gotten it honestly. If you had spent that $100, your conscience would have hounded you for a long, long time. And kudos to your son for doing the right thing and for wanting to help his family.

Old 10-24-2022, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post

Great example of when the right thing happens it happens all the way down the line.

You showed your son the right way and that will always be with him. It's about having self worth and integrity. Your conscious is clear.

If we're not honest with ourself then holes will start in the soul and nothing will ever fill them again.

Blessings to you

Last edited by bellamax2; 10-24-2022 at 03:03 PM..

Old 10-24-2022, 06:19 PM

2,282 posts, read 1,582,667 times
Older generations cannot expect young people to have morals when less morals are being taught each year in school, TV and online.

Old 10-24-2022, 07:43 PM

61,685 posts, read 87,077,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankrj View Post
Older generations cannot expect young people to have morals when less morals are being taught each year in school, TV and online.
That's parents responsibility.
Learning starts at home and family members are the first teachers. So parents must make sure that they teach moral values to their kids from early on.
They are also responsible for much bigger lessons like the difference between right and wrong.
The main authoritative figures children observe are their own parents. Everything that their parents do generally influence their child’s behavior.

https://thewolfpacket.org/3296/opini...ed-by-parents/

Old 10-24-2022, 08:00 PM

I agree with a post that she should go to juvenile hall and there she can scrub floors.

The parents should put her in one of those boot camp type places for problem teens.

She needs to start babysitting, dog walking, washing cars soon to earn some money to start paying back her Grandmother.

I started babysitting at 12 after school and weekends. That paid for my school supplies & records and I would buy something fun at Woolworth's for .10 - .15. The rest I put in my piggybank. When I was 15 I got a work permit and worked at a small dept store after school and weekends.

Nothing good comes out of stolen money. It doesn't belong to the person that knows it's stolen.

We have free will. It's our choice to do the right thing or don't and pay the consequences later on down the road in life. It will always be in the back of the person mind, oh that wrong thing happened because I chose not to give back the stolen money.

Last edited by bellamax2; 10-24-2022 at 09:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events