Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2022, 01:28 PM

2,410 posts, read 4,454,794 times

Advertisements

The local Target here has been set on fire three times in the last year or year and a half. All were believed to be done by people to draw attention elsewhere so they could loot higher end or bigger stuff. Each time the smoke/water damage turned out to be way bigger than the actual theft.

I'm not sure what that says, but only the first fire was even reported in the news. They just pretended the next two didn't happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2022, 05:39 PM

3,766 posts, read 4,102,538 times
Several years ago, the brilliant lawmakers (sarcasm) of the Baltimore City council were able to bring a Target store to a shopping desert in West Baltimore. They spent over ten million dollars of your tax dollars to bribe Target to build and open the store. The store only lasted a couple of years, then Target announced the closing. Theft was a big factor in the closing, but it could have been the murders in their parking lot that finally killed the business. (no pun intended)

Now it is going to be a job training center where they teach people how to work. I think they should teach them to stop stealing before they teach them how to work.

Old 11-17-2022, 06:39 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,474,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatetodust View Post
I don't know why so many hate self checkouts. It is so much easier to do my own especially now that stores don't bother to have enough staff.
Target is not the only one which has shrinkage problem,pretty much all the retail stores do,except restaurants,may be buffet?
Supermarkets self check out always have 1-2 person assisting customers ,they are also watching ,plus the software ,if you move an item from one side of the checkout to another without scanning,it will say so.
The machine would also spot what you have at the lower rack of the cart while you are approaching the checkout station.
question-
The machine cant tell if zuchinni is checked out as cucumber?
yam vs potato.
Tomato vs orange?

Old 11-17-2022, 06:55 PM

32,638 posts, read 48,015,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
The machine cant tell if zuchinni is checked out as cucumber?
yam vs potato.
Tomato vs orange?

Apparently, the machine can't tell the difference between bananas and a prime rib roast. That's one of the cheats. Put the roast on the scale and type in the code for bananas, get charged 48 cents a pound for your roast.

The way it works makes it extra easy to steal from the store.

Old 11-17-2022, 08:32 PM

15,419 posts, read 9,069,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit12 View Post
My Target actually has a city cop working there ... guess he isn't much of a deterrent.
Those off duty cops are no better than minimum wage security guards. I remember walking past a Walgreens store in San Francisco way back in the 1990s. I saw a cop chase a guy out of the store yelling at him to come back into the store. Apparently he had set off an exit alarm on the way out. The cop grabbed the guys right arm and started to handcuff him, but the guy resisted and pulled the cop 10 feet away in the direction of a trash can. He then proceeded to drop a big pack of batteries into the trash can with his free hand. I was thinking there is no way that cop didn't see that. Everybody on the sidewalk saw him do it. But the cop just finished handcuffing and was taking him back into the store when some random guy ran over grabbed the batteries out of the trashcan and then handed them to the cop and told him that the guy had thrown them in the trash can. The cop with an embarrassed look on his face thanked him. If not for the good samaritan, the cop and the store manager would have had to apologize to the shoplifter and let him go.

Old 11-18-2022, 01:05 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,545,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
What about the alarms on the exit doors? I thought they were rigged to go off when a shopper tried to exit with items they didn't scan? Our local Walmart doesn't have anybody at the exit doors. It doesn't even have a Walmart Greeter anymore.

I've always thought the self-scanners were a bad idea. In fact, I think they're the most stupid thing a store can do, especially if cameras and door alarms aren't working properly to catch the thieves. No wonder theft is up.

And we the consumer pays for all of this failed stuff. It's disturbing.

I feel the same, those self check outs are probably a big part of why there is so much theft. Some also change price labels such as on meat to buy an expensive steak for the price of burger meat or as was said, they ring the meat up as fruits or veggies.

I was at Walmart self check out a few weeks ago, this AA woman employee was standing on my left side, watching me like a hawk. I kick myself for not saying something to her, at least tell her to get out of my personal space.

Old 11-18-2022, 04:58 AM

15,419 posts, read 9,069,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I feel the same, those self check outs are probably a big part of why there is so much theft. Some also change price labels such as on meat to buy an expensive steak for the price of burger meat or as was said, they ring the meat up as fruits or veggies.

I was at Walmart self check out a few weeks ago, this AA woman employee was standing on my left side, watching me like a hawk. I kick myself for not saying something to her, at least tell her to get out of my personal space.
I was in Walmart a few days ago. There was only one checkout stand open and a long line. The clerk was telling everybody, the reason for that was they are trying to force everyone to use self-checkout.

So Walmart is trying to force everybody to use self-checkout, which they know increases shoplifting. Both deliberate shoplifting and accidental shoplifting. So why would Walmart encourage something that increases shoplifting? Simple, because Walmart makes money from shoplifting. Lots of money. Every single person who shoplifts from walmart, even if it was accidental and the merchandise is paid for or recovered, gets a $300 civil demand letter from Walmart's legal department. Which most people pay to avoid any further legal problems.

My advice is never use self-checkout, no matter how long the lines are. It's not worth the risk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7l0Kcxj5JeE

Old 11-18-2022, 06:17 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,545,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
I was in Walmart a few days ago. There was only one checkout stand open and a long line. The clerk was telling everybody, the reason for that was they are trying to force everyone to use self-checkout.

So Walmart is trying to force everybody to use self-checkout, which they know increases shoplifting. Both deliberate shoplifting and accidental shoplifting. So why would Walmart encourage something that increases shoplifting? Simple, because Walmart makes money from shoplifting. Lots of money. Every single person who shoplifts from walmart, even if it was accidental and the merchandise is paid for or recovered, gets a $300 civil demand letter from Walmart's legal department. Which most people pay to avoid any further legal problems.

My advice is never use self-checkout, no matter how long the lines are. It's not worth the risk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7l0Kcxj5JeE

I've read about those demand letters. They also say that maybe the person did not steal but the machine malfunctioned when scanning, person didn't realize it didn't ring up then you get popped for stealing.

Self check out is being forced upon us at every store. I refused to use it for a long time but finally gave in.

I guess we'll see if they're here to stay or not.

Old 11-18-2022, 06:17 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,472,094 times
I think Walmart purposely hires the slowest cashiers. This is why I've turned to the self-checkouts. I hate them, but not as much as I hate standing in line for 30 minutes while the cashier snaps her chewing gum and inspects her neon fingernail polish between every scanned item.

The inability to smile is also an advantage to getting hired by Walmart.

I've never seen so many strange people working in one place.

Old 11-18-2022, 07:19 AM

2,451 posts, read 1,680,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
I think Walmart purposely hires the slowest cashiers. This is why I've turned to the self-checkouts. I hate them, but not as much as I hate standing in line for 30 minutes while the cashier snaps her chewing gum and inspects her neon fingernail polish between every scanned item.

The inability to smile is also an advantage to getting hired by Walmart.

I've never seen so many strange people working in one place.
Here they only keep open the lane for buying cigarettes. They put the wonderful mentally challenged women there as a checker.

When I have extra time I use the self checkouts and make sure i set off the alarm and then make the person who comes over be my cashier or I just walk out the door. I make using the self checkout as miserable as possible for the employees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events