Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2024, 07:04 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times

Advertisements

Neither side has even finished discovery; very doubtful that anyone's talking about a plea agreement at this point.

Certain Idaho statutes make plea agreements in capital cases involving multiple victims somewhat tricky.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2024, 05:06 PM

399 posts, read 270,155 times

Old 02-15-2024, 04:43 PM

Next Hearing is Feb 28, 2024 at 1 PM PT and it's about the following -

1. Defendant's Motion to Allow Certain Experts and Investigators Protected Access to View IGG Material

2. Defendant's Motion Requesting Clarification of the Sealed Order for Disclosure of IGG Information and Protection Order

3. The State's Request for Scheduling Order

Old 03-16-2024, 10:53 AM

Families of slain University of Idaho students blast murder trial's delay

"Start making some decisions, get to work and quit playing the delay game," said loved ones of two of the four college students fatally stabbed in 2022.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...lay-rcna140916

March 1, 2024, 2:14 PM CST
By Erik Ortiz
Families of the University of Idaho college students killed in an apartment house in November 2022 voiced frustration Friday after a judge this week suggested the highly anticipated murder trial likely won't begin until 2025.

"We want to start healing, we do, we want to find justice and try to move on from this horrible tragedy so please, please, start making some decisions, get to work and quit playing the delay game," the families of two of the four victims, Kaylee Goncalves and Xana Kernodle, said in a statement.

Bryan Kohberger, 29, was initially set to be tried in October on four counts of first-degree murder, but waived his right to a speedy trial as his lawyers attempted to have the indictment dismissed.

Legal wrangling between Latah County prosecutors and the defense only hindered a new trial date, as District Judge John C. Judge has had to consider motions, including banning cameras in the courtroom, the disclosure of certain DNA evidence and a request by the defense for a change of venue.

During a hearing on Wednesday, Latah County Prosecutor Bill Thompson said he could be ready to present his case in March 2025 for a trial lasting about six weeks.

But Anne Taylor, Kohberger's lead public defender, suggested she would not be ready until June 2025, given the large number of potential witnesses and voluminous records.

Judge ultimately decided to push back a decision on setting a trial date to first hear arguments in May on a potential change of venue. Kohberger's defense filed its request for moving the trial based on what it says is "extensive, inflammatory pretrial publicity" in the case.

"I'm trying to be fair and realistic about when we could really be ready for trial and I only want to do it once," Judge said.

The Goncalves and Kernodle families, however, called the mounting delays “fool’s gold” and said they were meant to “keep the parties from making mistakes.”

"This illusion by everyone involved that they can control what happens is frustrating," the families said. "A jury will hear the evidence and return a verdict. But we need to get there sooner rather than later."

Judge in December denied Kohberger's attempt to have his murder indictment dismissed on claims of lack of sufficient admissible evidence, prosecutorial misconduct and grand jury bias.

The slayings of University of Idaho housemates Goncalves, Kernodle and Madison Mogen, and Kernodle's boyfriend, Ethan Chapin, in the early morning of Nov. 13, 2022, stunned the college community of Moscow, sparking weeks of speculation and thousands of tips before culminating in an arrest.

Prosecutors say Kohberger, a doctoral student at Washington State University at the time of the killings, was connected to the scene through male DNA that was left on a knife sheath found facedown on a bed next to the bodies of Mogen and Goncalves.

Genetic genealogy and garbage collected from Kohberger's family home in Pennsylvania, as well as his cellphone use and surveillance, ties him to the crime scene, authorities have said.

Kohberger has not spoken publicly since his arrest in December 2022. A gag order was issued barring lawyers, police and other officials from making statements in the case.

How Kohberger might have known the victims or why he would have targeted them or the house remains unclear. The murder weapon, believed to be a large fixed-blade knife, has not been recovered, Moscow police have said.

His defense attorneys said they plan to corroborate through expert testimony that Kohberger was not at the home where the murders took place but gave a curious response in an alibi-related court filing in August that "he has long had a habit of going for drives alone. Often he would go for drives at night. He did so late on Nov. 12 and into Nov. 13, 2022."

Kohberger is being held in Latah County Jail without bond.

Old 03-17-2024, 02:17 PM

2,072 posts, read 889,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloKitty76 View Post

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...lay-rcna140916

His defense attorneys said they plan to corroborate through expert testimony that Kohberger was not at the home where the murders took place but gave a curious response in an alibi-related court filing in August that "he has long had a habit of going for drives alone. Often he would go for drives at night. He did so late on Nov. 12 and into Nov. 13, 2022."
This would be corroborated by his tapatalk post, if this is indeed bryan:

> I remember when I was 15, I would wander alone at 2 am

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/thos...59.htmlhttp://

Old 03-21-2024, 02:42 PM

10,988 posts, read 20,556,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloKitty76 View Post

It will be interesting to see if the prosecution is able to compare Kohberger's night driving during weeks (even a month) before the murders to the hours surrounding the murders.

Old 03-21-2024, 03:45 PM

50,704 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissPickel View Post
This would be corroborated by his tapatalk post, if this is indeed bryan:

> I remember when I was 15, I would wander alone at 2 am

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/thos...59.htmlhttp://

I used to take long drives by myself too, but I didn’t drive to residential neighborhoods the next state over. Who goes for a drive by themselves and drives through residential neighborhoods they don’t live in?

Old 03-21-2024, 03:46 PM

45,327 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I used to take long drives by myself too, but I didn’t drive to residential neighborhoods the next state over. Who goes for a drive by themselves and drives through residential neighborhoods they don’t live in?
Someone looking for a place to live?

Old 03-21-2024, 04:52 PM

2,223 posts, read 3,874,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
It's not very accurate to say that house was in a residential neighborhood. It was next to the uni and a fairly major thoroughfare that is sometimes used as a bypass from West side of town to south.

Old 03-21-2024, 05:36 PM

17,349 posts, read 16,485,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keim View Post
It's not very accurate to say that house was in a residential neighborhood. It was next to the uni and a fairly major thoroughfare that is sometimes used as a bypass from West side of town to south.
The house itself was not on a through street. He had to go out of his way to drive past it and into the apartment parking lot behind it multiple times that night and in the early morning.

There was no innocent reason for Kohberger to have been circling (stalking) the house like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events