Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2022, 09:43 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post

Lawsuit against the boyfriend's estate settled so basically they'll get the five packs of chewing gum and the Mustang, if that's in his name.
Actually they likely get any monies from media use of this name/involvement like movies, books, etc
So his family can’t profit from what he did
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2022, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L00k4ward View Post
Mostly I think, the Petitos want information. To shine some light on Gabby and Brian relationship, his mental health, etc

What the parents were told by Brian when he called/texted them before and after the arrest in UT, before and after the murder?
How did he explain her absence?

What happened and why when Brian left Gabby in UT and flew home, them back to UT and so forth.

The only way to compel them to talk is to have them going through the depositions during the civil suit.

They have the need to know - they want to understand and know the details of their daughter’s last weeks of life and what perhaps led to her death.
Otherwise it is a heart wrenching black hole.

If they are able to uncover some culpability - it would be their way to punish them - financially.

Ironically, the Petitos now could be viewed by some as cruel and cold hearted as Brian’s parents were then.

Brian’s parents already punished - they lost their son and perhaps suffer the same or even more than Petitos as they have to come to terms with their son being a murderer in addition to being dead at his own hands
They could never be punished enough because they lack empathy
If they had the capacity to empathize, they would have been honest with the dopy FL sheriff and the Petitos up front

Old 11-30-2022, 12:16 AM

23,867 posts, read 33,561,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
That is the burden the proof, specifically proof that an alleged action is more likely than not to have occurred. While not as demanding a burden of proof as, say, beyond a reasonable doubt is, you still need evidence to meet this standard. A hunch/guess does not cut it. No, the Petito family will actually need to uncover evidence that makes it more likely than not that Laundrie's parents in this case actually provided false statements that later resulted in their emotional distress. As I've stated, I don't know enough about the case to say if this evidence is already publicly available, but the motion to dismiss order (the court denied the Laundrie's motion) that I just did an admittedly rushed read of does not seem to indicate such at first glance.

I'm a bit rusty on discovery, but, even assuming that the Petito family is able to depose the Laoundries as they wish, they'd likely be doing so with the hopes that they find evidence to meet their burden of proof.

I followed it close until Brian was found. The main thread got locked so I moved on. I believe there was something in his notebook that incriminates his parents but I'm not positive. I believe someone mentioned that in one of the other threads.

Old 11-30-2022, 01:17 AM

15,420 posts, read 9,078,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L00k4ward View Post

Ironically, the Petitos now could be viewed by some as cruel and cold hearted as Brian’s parents were then.

Brian’s parents already punished - they lost their son and perhaps suffer the same or even more than Petitos as they have to come to terms with their son being a murderer in addition to being dead at his own hands
No they haven't been punished. If they had done the right thing, their son would not be dead, he would be in jail.

"Son don't say anything to the police. Let our lawyer handle this." is not an appropriate way for any parent to respond to their son murdering his girlfriend. That makes both parents accessories-after-the-fact. I can not for the life of me understand why they have not been criminally charged.

Old 11-30-2022, 05:05 AM

17,310 posts, read 22,046,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
Coping by getting filthy rich.
Think about it...........assets owned by a kid that is living in his girlfriends old van and after that big windfall the attorney gets 1/3 of the win? All rhymes with zero

Old 11-30-2022, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Think about it...........assets owned by a kid that is living in his girlfriends old van and after that big windfall the attorney gets 1/3 of the win? All rhymes with zero
You are ignoring the monitization of the story and that his estate has control over use of his name and his parents’
Be blind if you want

Same type of lawsuit kept OJ skinned after he lost in civil court to Ron and Nicole’s families

Old 11-30-2022, 06:38 AM

5,457 posts, read 6,049,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
You are ignoring the monitization of the story and that his estate has control over use of his name and his parents’
Be blind if you want

Same type of lawsuit kept OJ skinned after he lost in civil court to Ron and Nicole’s families
https://caknowledge.com/o-j-simpson-net-worth/

Old 11-30-2022, 10:47 AM

50,795 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
This settlement amount will pale in comparison to the money they will make by selling the movie rights.
I don't know that her parents would do that, they don't want to see their daughter's life and death be entertainment.

They don't always need to buy rights anyway. No one paid Dahmer's family for rights, they just used public information for the miniseries and made up whatever was missing.

Old 11-30-2022, 01:00 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times
There has already been a Lifetime movie about the Petito case. Anyone here watch it?

Old 11-30-2022, 01:03 PM

30,166 posts, read 11,795,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Yes, it's necessary.

The Laundrie's withheld information and forced every communication to go through their sleezy attorney.

Seems odd.. your son drives home from 2500 miles in the girlfriend's car, and no girlfriend. What would be your first phone call?

YVMV.
They handled it poorly or got bad legal advice to do that. Reality was she was already dead. Nothing they did affected her outcome or the investigation. It was not like she was still alive and they delayed her rescue. Seems odd meaning what? She died in a off grid camping out west. No indication the parents had anything at all to do with that. And do we know what he told them when he got back? I have not kept up with this but that would be important. My guess is he lied to his parents. Because if he told the truth would they have let him go off alone into the woods? I doubt it.

Regardless suing their dead son does nothing. Its just vindictive.

Last edited by Oklazona Bound; 11-30-2022 at 01:14 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events