Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2023, 01:50 PM

17,573 posts, read 15,243,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldIMoveOrStayPut...? View Post
Well at least here in New York with positively DRACONIAN self defense weapons and gun laws. A retired NYC detective told me once he has his daughters carry a can of hair spray for self defense because that's the only thing that won't get them in legal hot water, even in a self defense situation.

Probably would get the EPA after them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2023, 01:55 PM

11,448 posts, read 5,980,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
From Googie:
12.34. THIRD DEGREE FELONY PUNISHMENT. (a) An individual adjudged guilty of a felony of the third degree shall be punished by imprisonment in the Texas Department of Criminal Justice for any term of not more than 10 years or less than 2 years.

I'm sorry. I'm all for clamping down on this stuff, prank or not. The can of stank was apparently classified as a 'prohibited weapon.' And look at the response that had to be initiated, people being taken to the hospital, evacuation, etc. NOT FUNNY.

Play stupid games....win yourself a felony conviction (which I'm sure won't happen, ultimately).

On what planet is "fart spray" a "felony weapon?"

Boys being stupid. Serving a suspension followed with detention doing school maintenance is in order, not a felony conviction.

Everything is a felony today. Meanwhile, career violent felons who beat peolpe half to death, commit carjackings, and perform smash and grab crimes are let off with probation.

Orwell is rolling in his grave. Up truly is down today, and wrong is right.

Old 05-26-2023, 02:10 PM

17,150 posts, read 15,366,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
One form of prohibited weapon under Texas law(Penal Code Chapter 46) is a chemical dispensing device. The definition is:

"Chemical dispensing device" means a device, other than a small chemical dispenser sold commercially for personal protection, that is designed, made, or adapted for the purpose of dispensing a substance capable of causing an adverse psychological or physiological effect on a human being.

So, yes, the students should be charged with the felony and serve the 2 year minimum sentence if convicted. It's time that high school students were served notice that actions have consequences.

The fact that the spray is sold in stores is irrelevant in this situation.
What if it was a scented candle? Or incense? Smelling bad is now considered a weapon?
Give me a break…

Old 05-26-2023, 02:39 PM

2,063 posts, read 1,862,769 times
Folks, if you lived in a community where there has been a school shooting you might feel more empathy. Kids, parents, school staff including administrators, are extremely nervous lately. OK, grandparents like me, too. Some of mine are in elementary and preschool.

A school system not far from me is being sued by many parents because of a terrible disaster in the high school. It's heartbreaking on all fronts. That can certainly lead to over-reaction over fart-spray, if you don't know it's fart spray, or who is causing it, or what might happen afterwards.

Old 05-26-2023, 02:50 PM

17,573 posts, read 15,243,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkeith View Post
Folks, if you lived in a community where there has been a school shooting you might feel more empathy. Kids, parents, school staff including administrators, are extremely nervous lately. OK, grandparents like me, too. Some of mine are in elementary and preschool.

A school system not far from me is being sued by many parents because of a terrible disaster in the high school. It's heartbreaking on all fronts. That can certainly lead to over-reaction over fart-spray, if you don't know it's fart spray, or who is causing it, or what might happen afterwards.

If I lived in a community where there had been a chemical attack against a school, I might feel more empathy.

But.. I don't think anyone lives in one of those communities, because I don't think it's happened.

If they were setting off firecrackers in the hall.. Ok. I might buy into that a bit.

This was fart spray.

Old 05-26-2023, 03:30 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,707,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
If I lived in a community where there had been a chemical attack against a school, I might feel more empathy.

But.. I don't think anyone lives in one of those communities, because I don't think it's happened.

If they were setting off firecrackers in the hall.. Ok. I might buy into that a bit.

This was fart spray.
I can see it — you get a text from your kid at school saying he/she has a headache and is nauseous and that there's some awful smell; my thoughts would go to a possible chemical attack rather than some lowbrow gag. I wasn't even aware that such a product exists.

I don't necessarily think that felony charges are in order, but I can't blame anyone for thinking the worst.

Old 05-26-2023, 05:11 PM

15,418 posts, read 7,477,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
What if it was a scented candle? Or incense? Smelling bad is now considered a weapon?
Give me a break…
The way the law is written a candle or incense wouldn't qualify as chemical dispensing devices. The fart spray made people nauseous and required hospital visits. That meets the definition of a prohibited chemical dispensing device under Texas law.

Old 05-26-2023, 05:38 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,707,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Common sense has left our school systems. Make them apologize and maybe clean the school for a few days. felonies? Absurd. Stupid to even have police involved.
This article goes a little more into it. How would you have suggested they handle it? The school officials didn't know it was some sort of tacky little gag; they thought it was a gas leak, and it happened two days in a row.

https://people.com/human-interest/te...nk-fart-spray/

Old 05-26-2023, 11:51 PM

15,417 posts, read 9,065,606 times
The charges seem very appropriate. The incident sent a number of students to the hospital, forced cancelation of classes, and required a major hazmat response. The restitution alone will likely be in the hundreds of thousands of dollars.

It was definitely not a harmless prank.

Old 05-27-2023, 12:02 AM

15,417 posts, read 9,065,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Our class got permission to TP the school’s exterior on the grounds that our class help pick it up. A few naturally went a step further. In the center grounds they placed a road block sign, a broken TV, a sofa, a scarecrow sitting on the sofa (with a TV remote and cigarettes).
The best one I ever heard of was in a news article that I read many years ago. Students and faculty arrived to the school in the morning to find a plane crash on the front lawn. Complete with real Cessna airplane parts scattered out, a couple of mannequins covered in fake blood, and all roped off with yellow police tape.

The school officials couldn't ever figure out where the airplane parts came from or how the students got them to the school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events