Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2023, 07:00 PM

5,589 posts, read 8,405,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellybean50 View Post
Yeah, this was the fourth voyage there if i'm not mistaken?
I haven't heard any definitive answer on this. The guy who expressed concern about the noises he heard on the 2019 dive in the Bahamas said that version of the Titan was tweaked after his e-mail. So I'd like to know how many times this EXACT version of the Titan has successfully made it to the Titanic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2023, 07:13 PM

3,055 posts, read 2,927,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmountains View Post
Stockton Rush was really a risk taker! One can say he practiced what he preached... He flew on a two-seater experimental plane that he built to go to Las Vegas to persuade one of the potential clients (the dad that ended up canceling the trip) to take the five-seater experimental submersible he built down to the ocean floor to see the Titanic.

@5:40

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZTE6Wetty0
Thank you. That was a good, quick interview. It is a terrible shame that that Pakistani teen didn't appear to have the same relationship with his own father where he could have brought up his concerns (maybe after having to do some research as the son who ended up living by not taking the trip seemed to already be familiar with subs, though not sure how easy the now-popular safety concerns would have been to find), and that his father would have respected him enough to listen to him. Just appears to have been two completely different relational dynamics where the one with some sound reasoning turned to a good end (made the right decision) and the other was just very, very tragic.

Old 06-23-2023, 07:28 PM

Location: Segovia, central Spain, 1230 m asl, Csb Mediterranean with strong continental influence, 40º43 N
3,094 posts, read 3,575,683 times
I wonder whether someone looking at the sea from the ship which provided support to the submarine would have seen a massive air bubble just over the ocean surface, knowing that the ship was likely just right above the location where the submarine destroyed himself. The sound of the implosion should not have been heard on the surface, but theoretically, the air bubble should have reached the ocean surface.

I'm guessing also how far away from the accident site the U.S. Navy ship which detected the sound of the implosion with its hydroacoustic devices last Sunday was located for, or what would be the fartest possible distance to hear such kind of sounds coming from the deep ocean.

Any thoughts for both questions?

Old 06-23-2023, 07:29 PM

23,866 posts, read 33,561,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
I guess if I were a rich non-claustrophobic Titanic buff, maybe I'd do it. The fact that the submersible had made multiple dives without death/injury, and the fact that the CEO would be on the trip as well, would give me a false sense of security. I mean, would the CEO really be on this thing if it wasn't safe?

I've heard that the CEO said the primary mission of OceanGate wasn't tourism -- that was just a way of funding their real mission, exploring and protecting the oceans. But then I read an old interview where he said he was motivated by the profit potential with oil and gas leases, etc. Also, I read a text exchange between him and another billionaire where the CEO was trying to convince the rich guy and his son to go on this expedition, even giving him a big discount to do so. I'm sure that guy is counting his blessings today.

Agree, I think people, including me, would feel a false sense of security with the CEO running it. Surely he would have a lower employee running it if he felt it was not safe.?

I believe I read about Josh Gates had been on it once, he chose to not go in it again due to not feeling safe. I've watched Josh's show for a few years now, his middle name could be "Risk" because he risked his life doing some things on his show such as diving in caves and other very dark places.

I could have sworn I read the titan went down about 30 times, that each time there was some sort of issue. I'll have to go back to google to look. Some of the articles just confused things.

Old 06-23-2023, 07:53 PM

13,248 posts, read 7,312,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basiliximab View Post
Thank you. That was a good, quick interview. It is a terrible shame that that Pakistani teen didn't appear to have the same relationship with his own father where he could have brought up his concerns (maybe after having to do some research as the son who ended up living by not taking the trip seemed to already be familiar with subs, though not sure how easy the now-popular safety concerns would have been to find), and that his father would have respected him enough to listen to him. Just appears to have been two completely different relational dynamics where the one with some sound reasoning turned to a good end (made the right decision) and the other was just very, very tragic.
The fact that Stocken Rush flew to Las Vegas to try and sell them a ticket was a clue his company was running on a dream and wasn't properly funded. The father understood what experimental aviation was there is a reason not allowed to take paying customers on experimental aircraft. It should be the same for submersibles if one is going to sell rides they have to meet certain standards.

Old 06-23-2023, 08:02 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by overdrive1979 View Post
I wonder whether someone looking at the sea from the ship which provided support to the submarine would have seen a massive air bubble just over the ocean surface, knowing that the ship was likely just right above the location where the submarine destroyed himself. The sound of the implosion should not have been heard on the surface, but theoretically, the air bubble should have reached the ocean surface.

I'm guessing also how far away from the accident site the U.S. Navy ship which detected the sound of the implosion with its hydroacoustic devices last Sunday was located for, or what would be the fartest possible distance to hear such kind of sounds coming from the deep ocean.

In response to #2, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SOSUS

Old 06-23-2023, 08:03 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
... I'd like to know how many times this EXACT version of the Titan has successfully made it to the Titanic.
This was the 3rd trip for this vessel, IIrc, (2021, 2022, 2023) Only once / yr due to short window of acceptable weather and currents.

I would be more interested in how often the structure has crashed into stuff while at depth (such as getting stuck under propellor, and venturing down the main stairwell). Pressure vessels are not fond of being used as a 'bumpercar'. Any indectected scar or bruise or crack in a Carbon fiber pressure vessel can easily propigate a catastrophic failure. The Titan should have been xrayed and examined after and before each dive. (and at least have passed a certification, as the other 10 deep water submersibleshave chosen to do).

If you're serving the public / paid customers, you have a legal obligation for their safety.

Old 06-23-2023, 08:12 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,585,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmountains View Post
Stockton Rush was really a risk taker! One can say he practiced what he preached... He flew on a two-seater experimental plane that he built to go to Las Vegas to persuade one of the potential clients (the dad that ended up canceling the trip) to take the five-seater experimental submersible he built down to the ocean floor to see the Titanic.

@5:40

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZTE6Wetty0
Very interesting. As an aside, that father and son are so sweet together. I can tell they get along well and respect and love each other. Yeah...I bet they'll never go down to see the Titanic, now, as the son said.

Great clip.

Old 06-23-2023, 08:15 PM

15,433 posts, read 7,491,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by overdrive1979 View Post

There would not have been a massive air bubble. The bubbles would have been squashed too, and dissipated. And, depending on the chemistry at that depth, the air may have just increased the dissolved oxygen amount in the surrounding water.

Old 06-23-2023, 09:16 PM

17,380 posts, read 16,524,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I hope they got a nice bundle of life insurance money. His wife is out of a job, since she worked for her late husband's company. The family's going to need a source of income. I hope he had the foresight to provide for them in some way, and wasn't as cavalier in his financial planning as he was with his company equipment's safety.

His kids have graduated college. One designed a robotic arm for submersibles for his Princeton graduation thesis.https://thenetline.com/stockton-rushs-children/
His family is not responsible for this. They will be o.k.

The individuals who freely chose to go on this adventure knew that there were risks. My only exception would be for the 19 year old kid. What the heck was that about? That kid wasn't old enough to rent a car by himself(at most rental places) and had his position on the Titan paid for by his dad. That should not have been allowed. That kid should never have been allowed on.

Had Stockton ever taken his own kids down on that vessel?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events