Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2024, 11:03 AM

61,678 posts, read 87,060,489 times

Advertisements

To the long list of unpleasant situations that are happening on airplanes, we can "proudly" add one more - pooping dogs.
Not to mention that flight attendants jobs seems to be less and less glamorous by the day.

During a flight from Denver to Portland on Monday night, a woman sitting in an aisle seat toward the back of the plane had quite a mess on her hands after her chihuahua relieved himself all over her lap, about an hour before the flight landed. To make matters even worse, another passenger claimed the lady refused to move with her foul-smelling chihuahua or take responsibility for cleaning the nasty mess.
Passengers said it took about 10 minutes for flight attendants to come and clean up the mess.

According to United Airlines’ rules, all dogs and cats on board must remain in a crate or carrier beneath the seat at all times.

It’s a rule that passengers on the plane said the dog owner broke. “She had said, ‘I’m going to take him out anyway." And she let the small pup out of their crate at some point during the flight...

https://nypost.com/2024/02/07/news/u...t-the-culprit/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2024, 12:15 PM

4,992 posts, read 5,286,731 times
I don't understand flying with a dog unless absolutely necessary. My dog would not have been happy in a little carrier under a seat. He would have wanted to be with his people. He was well behaved and fully potty trained, but we did it on an as needed basis. I could walk him before car trips, but if he needed to go, he'd let us know and we'd stop the car. You don't get that option on an airplane.

Old 02-07-2024, 01:35 PM

37,604 posts, read 45,972,346 times
I'd be tempted to get off the damn plane if I had to fly with a dog near me. It's the most ridiculous thing that we allow animals on there in the first place. I understand seeing eye dogs or actual (real) service dogs...but other than that - it's just absurd.

Old 02-07-2024, 02:17 PM

6,862 posts, read 4,856,991 times
I am with ChessieMom on this. At least it crapped on her lap - haha.

Take a Valium or don't fly if you need a support animal. This sort of behavior makes life difficult for people with real service animals.

I can understand not wanting to put a pet in cargo, but of you can't follow the rules, leave the animal at a boarding kennel or with a dog sitter.

I would have driven across the country if I was moving when I had my large dog. I'd never cargo one. He went to a very nice boarding kennel when we went on vacations. For the privilege of being allowed to have a pet in the cabin I would certainly obey the rules.
That said - Chihuahuas ate not real dogs anyway. They are more disgusting than the average rodent.

Old 02-07-2024, 02:36 PM

21,863 posts, read 25,121,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Twist View Post
I am with ChessieMom on this. At least it crapped on her lap - haha.

Take a Valium or don't fly if you need a support animal. This sort of behavior makes life difficult for people with real service animals.

I can understand not wanting to put a pet in cargo, but of you can't follow the rules, leave the animal at a boarding kennel or with a dog sitter.

I would have driven across the country if I was moving when I had my large dog. I'd never cargo one. He went to a very nice boarding kennel when we went on vacations. For the privilege of being allowed to have a pet in the cabin I would certainly obey the rules.
That said - Chihuahuas ate not real dogs anyway. They are more disgusting than the average rodent.
She's probably crazy enough that didn't much matter. Imagine having a Chihuahua as an emotional support animal? Man, doomed.

I've flown with a dog a few times, twice with a larger dog that had to go down in cargo area. I've flown once with a crated dog in cabin under the seat. No issue, but that dog flies all the damn time so she was used to it. I was more worried about the whole thing than the dog was.

Old 02-07-2024, 03:23 PM

23,278 posts, read 18,799,167 times
I've lived all over AK and have needed to fly with a dog or some other pet often because there are quite a few places with no road access anywhere. I lived in a remote town for 16 years that had no road access to the rest of the planet. The only way to get your dog to a vet was to fly it to a larger town. You could either accompany the dog or send it by itself and vet staff would shuttle the dog between airport and clinic. If a pilot knew someone's well-behaved dog and the flight was due to be calm, they'd allow it to sit on the seat next to its owner. Otherwise, the crate rode in the cargo area behind the passengers. One of my dogs LOVED flying as much as she loved car rides. She'd sit happily on the seat gazing out the window watching birds float by. It got to the point if we went to the airport to pick up freight, she'd jump into any plane sitting with the door open hoping for a ride!

Last edited by Parnassia; 02-07-2024 at 03:32 PM..

Old 02-07-2024, 03:27 PM

5,737 posts, read 4,692,864 times
Lady should get slapped a huge haz-mat cleaning fee.

Old 02-07-2024, 05:15 PM

1,225 posts, read 1,232,277 times
The other passengers were much more forgiving than I would have been.

Certainly it wasn't the dog's fault. The passenger admitted she hadn't taken the dog to the 'facilities' before the 3 hr flight. She didn't bother to clean up after it herself and expected flight crew to do it for her. She was completely inconsiderate of her fellow passengers.

She's clearly an inadequate pet parent and violated the bill of carriage. I hope she is banned from the airline going forward.

Old 02-07-2024, 05:52 PM

6,545 posts, read 7,127,359 times
We paid the owner of PetsJets to fly us kittens we purchased from breeders two different times. They were with him in a carrier. He transports dogs too.

Old 02-07-2024, 06:01 PM

61,678 posts, read 87,060,489 times
People fly with their pets. I bet pets aren't happy. But some owners want those pets with them to make THEM happy.

This poor cat was under the seat for 10.5 hrs flight overseas.

Last edited by elnina; 02-08-2024 at 02:53 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events