Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2024, 02:11 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
It was the parents' choice to visit a beach not staffed with lifeguards. Signs warning "at your own risk" would've been posted. Curious if they were busy scrolling on their phones or even egging them on to videotape it for "likes" or to go viral (I agree two small children couldn't have dug a hole that deep without much help from adults; either it was already there or the parents contributed to the digging). Absolutely one of my pet peeves at the beach, as not only kids, but small creatures get trapped in them. You can also break a leg walking at night. If you MUST dig, fill it in!
There are beachgoers who avoid attended beaches...there may be fees and there are too many dang rules to follow!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2024, 02:25 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
There are beachgoers who avoid attended beaches...there may be fees and there are too many dang rules to follow!
I have never heard of paying a fee to go to the beach. To park, yes, especially if you are a nonlocal and don't know where the free parking is, but not to actually set foot on a beach.

Old 02-24-2024, 03:19 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I have never heard of paying a fee to go to the beach. To park, yes, especially if you are a nonlocal and don't know where the free parking is, but not to actually set foot on a beach.
Seem to recall visiting a few beaches that imposed some sort of day-use fee payable at an entrance kiosk but don't recall just where. I'm sure paying to park conveniently close is common. The entity that maintains the parking lot/facilities probably pays to maintain/patrol the beach too.

Old 02-24-2024, 03:25 PM

50,710 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
In South Jersey, all the beaches except Atlantic City and Wildwood require beach tags.

Old 02-24-2024, 03:26 PM

2,627 posts, read 1,170,699 times
There was an episode about things like this in the USA on Oprah. The life guards and paramedics or whomever now use their surfboards to plunge by hand on the sides of the hole the person got buried in and then they dig. The surfboards prevent what they dig out prevent it from falling/collapsing back into the hole.

In the US I think digging deep holes and burying anyone up to their neck is no longer allowed. Last I remember Security checks around to make sure it is not being done.

It would be a good idea for Indiana will start making it their laws too and post signs. Security guards would have helped and using surfboards too.

Old 02-24-2024, 03:33 PM

50,710 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staystill View Post
There was an episode about things like this in the USA on Oprah. The life guards and paramedics or whomever now use their surfboards to plunge by hand on the sides of the hole the person got buried in and then they dig. The surfboards prevent what they dig out prevent it from falling/collapsing back into the hole.

In the US I think digging deep holes and burying anyone up to their neck is no longer allowed. Last I remember Security checks around to make sure it is not being done.

It would be a good idea for Indiana will start making it their laws too and post signs. Security guards would have helped and using surfboards too.
The family was vacationing in Florida when this happened. They may not have been aware of what dangers can happen on beaches. I don’t think there are actual beaches in Indiana unless they’re on lakes. And those are probably a different texture.

Old 02-24-2024, 04:48 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
The family was vacationing in Florida when this happened. They may not have been aware of what dangers can happen on beaches. I don’t think there are actual beaches in Indiana unless they’re on lakes. And those are probably a different texture.
It's obvious that dry sand collapses. And really wet sand that waves are washing over also collapses immediately, so it's not easy for kids to dig a deep hole in either of these. But if you dig a dozen feet up from the shoreline, the sand is dry on the very top but damp and firm underneath. It's not hard to dig a hole that is 3+ feet deep and it seems safe enough (until it isn't). Not sure there would be lots of this kind of sand condition in Indiana.

It's also tempting to dig TWO big holes with a tunnel that connects them. That is probably the most dangerous thing of all; a kid crawls through that tunnel and the whole thing comes down and buries them.

Old 02-24-2024, 06:12 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,626,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BD1978 View Post
100% agreed. I was in the Caribbean 2 months ago, just casually standing in the relatively calm ocean water with my 10 year old daughter, maybe 5-10 feet max from the shoreline. A fairly strong wave unexpectedly knocked us back onto the sand, and as a 200 pound man who landed directly on my shoulder, I dislocated it and was in excruciating pain. And this from what by all accounts looked like a pretty mild and calm ocean (and even the wave that hit us was not huge by any means). Be careful out there.
Are you going to sue anyone ? Maybe the 200 lb guy for not being more steady on his feet ?
just askin'. Do you have a GoFundMe ?

Old 02-24-2024, 06:18 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,626,290 times
First thing to go up was a GoFundMe. I hate what happened to this little girl. But, I also hate everyone wanting someone to pay for their tragedies. If they could afford to go to the beach from Indiana, why do we pay into funding their other responsibilities?

Those boys that shot that lady and wounded 22 others at the KC Super Bowl parade, their parents, each, set up GoFundMe's. Said the boys had a long road to recover after being shot....... they were taken down pretty quick but.......

Old 02-24-2024, 07:39 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Tell us you've never been to New Jersey without saying you've never been to New Jersey...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events