Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2024, 03:06 PM

23,259 posts, read 18,764,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Thanks for getting back on topic! I think it's been established that adults dug this hole, whether it was their parents or strangers before they got there. And most likely these parents were taking pics and videos of their kids with those ubiquitous cell phones; it's all you see on the beach these days; nary a "beach read" nor anyone just staring at the ocean anymore. It'd be interesting to review the history of the parents' phone activity around the time of the tragedy.
How predictable. Leave it to you to find another excuse to bring cellphone picture-taking into the conversation. The root of all evil apparently.

This time it was sort of displaced. Consider if those evil cellphone users had been on hand indulging in their addiction while those kids were digging the hole, the tragedy might have been averted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2024, 05:41 PM

50,721 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Thanks for getting back on topic! I think it's been established that adults dug this hole, whether it was their parents or strangers before they got there. And most likely these parents were taking pics and videos of their kids with those ubiquitous cell phones; it's all you see on the beach these days; nary a "beach read" nor anyone just staring at the ocean anymore. It'd be interesting to review the history of the parents' phone activity around the time of the tragedy.

I never saw a lot of that except with teenagers. Having lived at the beach for 18 years, I can tell you it's frustratingly difficult to see your screen when you're sitting on the beach unless you're under an umbrella the whole time.

Old 03-03-2024, 05:55 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,936,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
...it's frustratingly difficult to see your screen when you're sitting on the beach unless you're under an umbrella the whole time.
...which most people are. But I see tons of them walking the shoreline taking selfies or pictures or videos of their family and friends. But just me, I guess!

Old 03-04-2024, 04:06 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times
Quote:
On the other hand, by what logic would anyone think a) digging deep holes in the sand on a beach and b) leaving them there unfilled is NOT stupid?

About sums it up right there

Old 03-04-2024, 05:27 AM

20,099 posts, read 8,998,912 times
digging holes in the sand is prohibited, in the town I live. Too many accidents associated with it and would require daily resources to fill them in. You can drive on the beach to surf fish in designated area, you need a permit, it's not cheap, and you have to have a rod in the water all the time. It's well regulated.

Old 03-04-2024, 07:25 AM

Quote:
...which most people are. But I see tons of them walking the shoreline taking selfies or pictures or videos of their family and friends. But just me, I guess!

A selfie or video is different, and if they're taking videos, they are interacting with who they are with. You made it sound like they are sitting on the beach glued to their phone.

Old 03-04-2024, 10:14 AM

Quote:
A selfie or video is different, and if they're taking videos, they are interacting with who they are with. You made it sound like they are sitting on the beach glued to their phone.
Okay; I guess taking pics and vids of each other are what passes for human interaction these days?

And I see the endless scrolling, too (lounging in their beach chairs).

But, again, must be just me...

Old 03-04-2024, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Okay; I guess taking pics and vids of each other are what passes for human interaction these days?

And I see the endless scrolling, too (lounging in their beach chairs).

But, again, must be just me...

You think it's just a modern day thing, for people to take pics and videos while on vacation?

Old 03-04-2024, 10:48 AM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
Quote:
And most likely these parents were taking pics and videos of their kids with those ubiquitous cell phones; it's all you see on the beach these days; nary a "beach read" nor anyone just staring at the ocean anymore.
If they were taking pictures of their kids at the time of the tragedy, wouldn't they have seen the little girl getting buried? Jump in, and fish her out before she suffocated?

I have found that cell service is pretty crummy at the beach. Your mileage (and beaches) may vary.

Old 03-04-2024, 08:04 PM

Quote:
You think it's just a modern day thing, for people to take pics and videos while on vacation?
The "it's nothing new" argument. If you don't see that people are more attached to and obsessed with their phones than they ever were with simple cameras, I can't make you see it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events