Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2024, 06:46 PM

14,330 posts, read 11,729,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I don't think being buried in the sand and dying while vacationing in Florida is a well known hazard
Perhaps you don't go to the beach enough to know that being buried in a collapsed sand hole on any beach is a well-known hazard. Not everyone that happens to dies, and they are not all in Florida.

Gee whiz.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2024, 07:20 PM

50,856 posts, read 36,551,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Sometimes the signs don't matter. A few years back, a 28-year-old guy waded into the water on the bay side of Sandy Hook here in NJ--holding his two-year-old toddler. There was a drop-off where the depth went from three feet to fifteen feet in one step. The man couldn't swim.

He stepped into the deep part and went down. The wife jumped in and managed to get the baby, but her husband drowned. There were other family members there, but nobody could rescue the guy in time.

Near the edge of the water, right where this happened, there is a red and white sign that says, "DANGER, NO SWIMMING OR WADING IN THIS AREA".

There are just people who for whatever reason don't think the signs and the rules apply to THEM.
In Ocean City maybe 20 years ago, we were on the boardwalk in July 4, and there was a ton of people lining the boardwalk looking at the water, and Lifeguard ATVs and row boats with a helicopter going back and forth. Turns out a 12 year old girl and her friends went onto the jetty despite signs warning people to keep off. The rocks are slimy and slippery, and the girl slipped off. It was dark, and despite so many rescuers there within a few minutes, they couldn’t find her. Then the lady at the Music Pier who makes the announcements said over the loudspeaker, voice breaking, “Will the parents of ——— come to the Music Pier office.” It was so tragic. Her body washed up in Atlantic City a day or so later.

And before hurricanes or Nor’Easters, they always ban people from the ocean because it’s so rough, but there are always young guys grabbing their surf boards and running into the ocean because the waves are so big. Every so often one drowns. One time a lifeguard from Delaware drowned doing just that. They think they’re invincible.

Old 02-28-2024, 07:30 PM

14,330 posts, read 11,729,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
In Ocean City maybe 20 years ago, we were on the boardwalk in July 4, and there was a ton of people lining the boardwalk looking at the water, and Lifeguard ATVs and row boats with a helicopter going back and forth. Turns out a 12 year old girl and her friends went onto the jetty despite signs warning people to keep off. The rocks are slimy and slippery, and the girl slipped off. It was dark, and despite so many rescuers there within a few minutes, they couldn’t find her. Then the lady at the Music Pier who makes the announcements said over the loudspeaker, voice breaking, “Will the parents of ——— come to the Music Pier office.” It was so tragic. Her body washed up in Atlantic City a day or so later.

And before hurricanes or Nor’Easters, they always ban people from the ocean because it’s so rough, but there are always young guys grabbing their surf boards and running into the ocean because the waves are so big. Every so often one drowns. One time a lifeguard from Delaware drowned doing just that. They think they’re invincible.
That's awful. I live close to the beach and there are daredevils around here too. Most of the time everything turns out OK, but sometimes it doesn't. You'd think people would know that snorkeling and scuba diving solo is inherently hazardous, but a few years ago a man who was definitely old enough to know better drowned at a beach near me while scuba diving alone.

Slippery rocks, big waves, deep sand holes, and swimming alone are all well-known beach hazards and no one should say they had no idea something tragic could happen.

Old 02-28-2024, 07:51 PM

88,630 posts, read 84,895,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
tell that to the people then. I feel indifferent...but some people want to be able to drive on the beach
That's just not going to happen here.

Now I know some places in Florida, where the sand is hard-packed, like Daytona, people drive on the beach.

Old 02-28-2024, 11:01 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,465,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
...The GoFundMe for this family is now at over $100K (asking for $150K). I would not be surprised if the family also sues the beach/property owner/city....
Even if there had been some life guards, there would not be enough of them to patrol that huge beach with so many beachgoers. Instead, parents must teach their children not to dig deep holes, and they should keep an eye on them while they are playing to ensure that they don't.

It's a terrible tragedy for the little girl and her family, but if the parents are seeking funds to sue anyone for what seems to be their own negligence, I would not contribute money for that purpose. If they are looking for funds to donate to education of children and families on the dangers of digging holes in the sand, then that would be a better use of money, in my opinion.

Old 02-29-2024, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
That's awful. I live close to the beach and there are daredevils around here too. Most of the time everything turns out OK, but sometimes it doesn't. You'd think people would know that snorkeling and scuba diving solo is inherently hazardous, but a few years ago a man who was definitely old enough to know better drowned at a beach near me while scuba diving alone.

Slippery rocks, big waves, deep sand holes, and swimming alone are all well-known beach hazards and no one should say they had no idea something tragic could happen.

Even on winter days that weren't that cold, I'd see a young guy go out surfing alone in a wetsuit. no one on the beach, no lifeguards. I felt like I should watch them and make sure they stayed ok! But if he hot hit on the head with the board on a wipe out and went under, by the time I called the cops and they got there, it would be too late anyway.

I almost drowned on a calm September late afternoon about 15 years ago, and now I never go in the ocean on unguarded beaches.

Old 02-29-2024, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
That's just not going to happen here.

Now I know some places in Florida, where the sand is hard-packed, like Daytona, people drive on the beach.

You can drive on the beach in Brigantine with a permit, but the area they are allowed to drive on is a surfing beach, far removed from the main beach areas. You can't even see it from the main beach areas. It's about a half mile drive from the road just to get to it. And people didn't drive up and down the beach, they just drove to get to the spot they were surfing in.

I still remember that poor girl in Florida who was run over and killed while she was sunbathing on a towel. Cars and people lying on a beach are a dangerous combination.

Old 02-29-2024, 02:07 PM

23,332 posts, read 18,903,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
No, you don't dig holes because it's sand, sand is unstable. Would you build your house with the foundation on sand?
Well, considering how many houses and other structures (many of them supposedly permitted) have been built on the east coast's barrier islands, lots of people never got the memo. What do you think barrier islands are made out of? Wait for it...SAND! When I hear about all the homes that get damaged or destroyed by the most recent storm then rebuilt again (using insurance or taxpayer dollars all of the rest of us contribute to) it makes my blood boil. Thank goodness some have wised up and have started to reject pleas to rebuild in unsuitable locations.

Old 02-29-2024, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Well, considering how many houses and other structures (many of them supposedly permitted) have been built on the east coast's barrier islands, lots of people never got the memo. What do you think barrier islands are made out of? Wait for it...SAND! When I hear about all the homes that get damaged or destroyed by the most recent storm then rebuilt again (using insurance or taxpayer dollars all of the rest of us contribute to) it makes my blood boil. Thank goodness some have wised up and have started to reject pleas to rebuild in unsuitable locations.
Not just rebuilding houses. In the shore town I lived in they had severe beach erosion. So every 5 years or so, the Army Corp of Engineers comes down with an army of contractors and a giant machine out in the ocean that pumps sand onto the beach. All at taxpayer expense with the Federal government paying the bulk of it. The contractor’s cars have license plates from Louisiana and Texas and all over the country, working all day and night. I can’t even imagine the cost. But it only benefits that town and the rich beachfront homeowners and business owners.

Old 02-29-2024, 02:46 PM

16,454 posts, read 8,258,847 times
There is too much build up in general in the US in certain areas but that's a whole other issue. Just because someone wants to live in a certain town or area doesn't mean they should simply be able to. It's sad to see forests and wildlife being destroyed simply because more and more people want to reside there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events