Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2024, 12:44 PM

16,736 posts, read 8,450,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Well, of course the mother would say that. What WOULD she say; "I was playing on my phone?"
or even worse, sorry i'd been drinking all day?

I dont get the impression that's what was happening...but plenty of people get drunk or high when kids are in their care and then wonder why accidents happen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2024, 10:29 AM

2,200 posts, read 2,338,610 times
These parents are irritating. It doesn’t seem as if they’ve accepted any responsibility at all.

Old 03-16-2024, 11:51 AM
Status: "It's WARY, or LEERY (weary means tired)" (set 7 days ago)

16,104 posts, read 21,235,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winterbird View Post
These parents are irritating. It doesn’t seem as if they’ve accepted any responsibility at all.
These weren't toddlers, they should have been okay playing in the sand (not water) just a few feet away. It shouldn't have been, and wouldn't have been a deadly problem, other than the fact that somebody decided to dig a ginormous hole and leave it.
Again, if you came across such a huge manmade hole in the middle of a park instead of on the beach, would it be a problem then?

Old 03-16-2024, 12:52 PM

23,459 posts, read 19,110,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post

Again, if you came across such a huge manmade hole in the middle of a park instead of on the beach, would it be a problem then?
The unstable nature of the sand was a large part of the problem. Doesn't matter where that sand happens to be located. Sure, the walls of some massive hole dug in soil of any type could collapse on the digger (which is why excavation and trenching safety precautions for workers exist) but with sand its more likely.

Last edited by Parnassia; 03-16-2024 at 01:29 PM..

Old 03-16-2024, 01:16 PM

88,775 posts, read 85,174,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
The unstable nature of the sand was a large part of the problem. Doesn't matter where that sand happened to be located. Sure, the walls of some massive hole dug in soil of any type could collapse on the digger (which is why excavation and trenching safety precautions for workers exist) but with sand its more likely.
Two construction workers were killed in a trench collapse at JFK last year. There was a lawsuit--apparently their employer didn't follow safety rules for supporting the trench. It's rare, but it happens. Sand, though, is more likely to collapse.

https://www.enr.com/articles/57347-o...s%20violations.

Old 03-16-2024, 01:30 PM

2,200 posts, read 2,338,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
These weren't toddlers, they should have been okay playing in the sand (not water) just a few feet away. It shouldn't have been, and wouldn't have been a deadly problem, other than the fact that somebody decided to dig a ginormous hole and leave it.

I truly don't understand the point you're making in response to what I posted. But I'll answer your question, yes it would be a problem in the middle of a park. My understanding is that these kids (with the help of an adult possibly) were actively digging vs just came across. I will go back and re-read the article when I get a moment.

Old 03-16-2024, 02:43 PM
Status: "It's WARY, or LEERY (weary means tired)" (set 7 days ago)

16,104 posts, read 21,235,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
The unstable nature of the sand was a large part of the problem. Doesn't matter where that sand happens to be located. Sure, the walls of some massive hole dug in soil of any type could collapse on the digger (which is why excavation and trenching safety precautions for workers exist) but with sand its more likely.
Yes, I know, but there seem to be some folks suggesting that a giant hole on the beach is somehow not a problem, like the fact that it's 'just' sand is somehow better.

Old 03-18-2024, 11:13 AM

51,057 posts, read 36,771,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winterbird View Post

I doubt it ever occurred to them it would be dangerous to let the kids dig. They're from Indiana, not a beach area where people might know that. I wouldn't have known it was dangerous.

Old 03-18-2024, 12:01 PM

8,399 posts, read 4,396,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I doubt it ever occurred to them it would be dangerous to let the kids dig. They're from Indiana, not a beach area where people might know that. I wouldn't have known it was dangerous.

I hate it for them. But I can see where they might be ignorant of the dangers.

For instance I might go to Indiana and go swimming in a river not realizing Indian is one of the most polluted states in the nation.

Old 03-18-2024, 02:54 PM

14,390 posts, read 11,807,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
For instance I might go to Indiana and go swimming in a river not realizing Indiana is one of the most polluted states in the nation.
I might go to Florida and walk too close to a pond or ditch not realizing there might be alligators in it.

You don't know what you don't know, and if you are out of your element, it's more likely there will be things you don't know. Which is why people who sneer that posting signs of dangers, particularly in areas that might attract tourists, is infantilizing people are so off base.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events