Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 08:20 AM

36,519 posts, read 30,856,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
If accidents happen - maybe they should...
Should what?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 09:24 AM

10,086 posts, read 14,959,511 times
Well, there is no question the affected did an excellent job camouflaging. If it can fool humans, then animals too.

Gobble, gobble, gobble…

Old Yesterday, 09:33 AM

45,375 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Well, there is no question the affected did an excellent job camouflaging. If it can fool humans, the same with animals.
Actually, no. Camouflaging from humans is way easier than animals, they can pick out what's wrong way faster and easier and really see the slightest movement.

https://www.audubon.org/news/10-fun-...0and%20hunters.
See point 5.

https://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/ma...er%27s%20enemy.
About paragraph 5.

https://deerassociation.com/hunters-...wearing%20blue.
Section 4.

I've been in a layout blind in a corn field with my decoys in front of me and had other hunters walk by ten feet away and not see me.

Old Yesterday, 11:33 AM

32,643 posts, read 48,028,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
Darwin Award?
No the stupid one was the guy who did the shooting, and he wasn't hurt.

You are not supposed to shoot anything that you can't clearly see what it is you are shooting at.

Old Yesterday, 11:55 AM

11,162 posts, read 7,961,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
yeah but how did he taste?
Like chicken…….

Old Yesterday, 12:15 PM

78,394 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Actually, no. Camouflaging from humans is way easier than animals, they can pick out what's wrong way faster and easier and really see the slightest movement.

https://www.audubon.org/news/10-fun-...0and%20hunters.
See point 5.

https://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/ma...er%27s%20enemy.
About paragraph 5.

https://deerassociation.com/hunters-...wearing%20blue.
Section 4.

I've been in a layout blind in a corn field with my decoys in front of me and had other hunters walk by ten feet away and not see me.
That's an interesting point, I can see that go either way depending on the animal. Once you add smell and sound into the mix and the fact that most humans are disconnected from nature it gets even more complicated.

Old Yesterday, 01:36 PM

61,699 posts, read 87,101,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Should what?
My response was related to the post above mine (#3)

... Maybe they should wear orange.

Old Yesterday, 01:52 PM

7,795 posts, read 3,810,565 times
We have many wild turkeys in our neighborhood.

Old Yesterday, 02:08 PM

23,292 posts, read 18,824,628 times
Can't resist sharing a favorite stupid/ignorant/irresponsible hunter story. Even better, it's actually a turkey hunter story.

I worked at a game management/public use area during college one fall. The state's F&G division had released turkeys onto the place years earlier and the powers that be had decided the best way to find out if a healthy turkey population had established itself was to hold a special permit limited hunt. IMO there were less dramatic ways to find that out, but no one asked for my opinion . Somehow it seems counterproductive to kill off the very things you were hoping to re-establish. Whatever. The habitat was now in great condition for turkeys and there was local excitement and anticipation.

The great day came and about 2 dozen permit holders showed up at the check station at the crack of dawn. My partner and I read out the rules, turned everyone loose into the brush with their shotguns, turkey calls, and gunny sacks, prepared our data sheets, calipers and specimen collection bags, and sat down to wait for their return. And waited. Over the next 4 hours, all but one eager beaver had trailed back to the station discouraged and disappointed. No one had heard, seen, or fired at a thing. But there was still one guy unaccounted for. We waited, waited, waited. As the sun set, we decided to start looking for him just in case he was totally lost or lying in a ditch with a broken ankle.

Just as we left the station, we spotted a man walking down the tractor trail toward us. It had to be him...he was dressed in camo, he was covered in mud, leaves, with a dirt-smudged face, exhausted, loaded gunny sack and gun butt almost dragging on the ground. We couldn't wait to hear his story.

"So, did you have any luck?"

"I sure did, but that danged turkey lead me on quite a chase! I kept calling and calling, it would answer but would never let me get within range. I followed that bird forever, through brambles, thickets, marshes, and rocks before I got a clear shot."

"Well, let's see this marvelous creature! We can't wait to collect all sorts of data off of it!"

He opens up his sack but what does he pull out? Not a turkey. Turned out to be a great blue heron instead.

How anyone could mistake one for the other was a mystery. On top of his exhausting day's walk, he had the privilege of paying a hefty non-game/illegal migratory bird fine for it. IMHO we should have made him eat it.

Last edited by Parnassia; Yesterday at 02:28 PM..

Old Yesterday, 02:24 PM

45,375 posts, read 60,561,367 times
WHAT A MORON!

Those are the guys who make the rest of us look bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events