Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 09:15 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,947,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
Ho, please,
Ring ring,
Now what way is the pedestrian going to go(jump) as I startle them?
Ring ring...
They have no idea I'm on the left will they go right?
ring... ouch fu... dam....

On your left.
The pedestrian now doesn't jump to the left.

It was considerate of the biker to tell the pedestrian so a collision is avoided.

You really needed it explained?

Ho, please, you don't really get it.
Your going 25mph on a sidewalk with pedestrians.

Whooo big fella.

And ring ring is going to do what exactly?

Your aggression is why I left the road for the trail.
Your zealous attitude of elitism astounds.
You are truly clueless
I have read your posts and mr. Rant is your copilot.

ring ring from 59ft at 25mph
People do not jump in front of bicycles that have bells. Hundreds of thousands if not millions of people riding bicycles in highly congested areas of Europe prove that as fact.

You are the typical example of why so many people are starting to see bicyclists as problems. In cities across the nation, rules, regulations and laws are starting to be put before voters.

Just why do you think that is, because you are right? Good luck with that.

Glad you left the roads or walkways for the trails, better for everyone. Now you can scream on your left to your hearts content. Watch for branches and mountain lions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2013, 11:09 PM

554 posts, read 1,060,676 times
I use a bell on my bike because I have to ride sidewalks (where it's legal) since the road has fast traffic and no shoulder.

It works better than saying 'on your left', it's heard from a longer distance.

Most cyclists I see are riding sensibly and safe. Of course there are some that break laws (just like cars, pedestrians do).

I lost interest in riding with the large group in CT because too many of them didn't have respect.

Old 03-09-2013, 11:26 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,816,344 times
Who is going 25 on a trail?

Old 03-09-2013, 11:29 AM

We change people's attitudes about cycling by getting them on a bike and going on a ride with us.

Old 03-10-2013, 08:42 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,168,828 times
ring ring,

how is it better and for who?

ring ring

what now another a-#@#!

ring ring.
How does the pedestern know what side you are passing on?

do they have to look behind them selves to see what the H the ring ring is all about?

ring ring,
Woops, I went right if front of that guy on that bike.
Now were both the ground.

What info does ring ring convey?
Only that a elitist is coming that thinks they have the right of way when overtaking.

Here I come ring ring, get out of my way. ring ring
yea, you'll have to look to see what it is and what way to go, but who cares ring ring....
I'm important, ring ring here I come, you'll have to figure out what to do..., ring ring, ho H... ring ring just get out of my way ring ring...
It's your problem your in my way ring ring....

It's hard to change perceptions when riders act like 11yr old kids with a bell.
ring ring..

On your left...

Old 03-10-2013, 06:56 PM

1,431 posts, read 2,480,362 times
It would be helpful is cyclists/cars knew how to treat each other. I've seen cyclists do some idiotic things...such as riding/turning in the blind spot of a car or bus. O.O

Where I am (Brisbane, Australia), I read the road rules for cyclists, to which I added my own special rule: let cars go first.

On "mixed use" paths (cyclists & pedestrians), I generally just reduce my speed depending on the amount of foot traffic and the opportunity for unpredictable pedestrians.

I don't envy anyone riding in a major metropolis.

Old 03-10-2013, 07:11 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,423,453 times
I dunno, looks like it works, even where bikes have no buisness lol

Trolling people with a bike bell - YouTube

Old 03-12-2013, 06:42 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,173,907 times
I'm changing my attitude...im thinking of selling my bike back to the pawnshop.

Old 03-12-2013, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
I'm changing my attitude...im thinking of selling my bike back to the pawnshop.
Now that's a bad attitude I can understand.

Old 03-15-2013, 02:22 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,558,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
Cyclists do need to change how they are perceived but one thing is for sure, so much of the negative perception is based on the behavior of the bicyclist.

Cyclists are becoming a scourge. They present arrogance, disrespect, disobey traffic laws and in general could care less about others.
My sense is that cyclists, drivers and peds are pretty similar in that in all groups there are some who obey the law at all times, some who commit basically harmless infractions, and some who do reckless things. I do not think cyclists are worse in this respect - and they are usually less dangerous.

Quote:
Notice those "share the road" stickers with the car and bike depicted? Notice how cyclists never have a sticker that says share the walkways?.

All the multi use trails around here - the Mount Vernon Trail, the W&OD, etc have signs saying to share the trail, and indicating that pedestrians have ROW on it. Do you actually ever use such trails?

Quote:
Bike riders should pay a license fee, carry insurance.
thats impractical for a variety of reasons -from 6 yos who bike to the difficulty in having a visible license plate on bike thats reasonably sized - which is why no jurisdiction does it.

Quote:
and be required to obey traffic laws or get ticketed just like everyone else. In some cities, people get ticketed for jaywalking yet bicyclists routinely run red lights as they please and usually without consequence..

Bikes here get ticketed. Sure some cyclists get away with infractions, but so do pedestrians and drivers in large numbers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling