Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 06:11 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,886,530 times

Advertisements

What is the best bike trip you ever took? Mine was in Alaska, in the summer of 2012. Anchorage, Girdwood, Seward. The Bird to Gird bike trail is absolutely the most scenic route I have ever ridden.

Another memorable ride was when I rode from San Antonio to Corpus Christi. It was probably the toughest ride I ever did, mostly because it was 105 degrees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2013, 02:30 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,911,904 times
I haven't gotten to do too any super-long trips like those, but a couple stick out in my mind...

- Riding from here in BH up into the hills, heading down Mulholland before then going down into the Valley, riding around there for a few hours, getting close to Santa Clarita, and then heading back up through the hills again.

- When I was about 12, a friend and I woke up early one Saturday and rode our mountain bikes to Seattle from Auburn, WA, and then back - probably something like 80 miles on the bass-ackwards route we took. We felt like heroes. The amazing thing was that we did it with less than $20 between us for food and water oh, to be young again... after my parents' initial "WHAT THE HELL WERE YOU THINKING?" wore off, they were proud.

Old 02-06-2013, 10:13 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,854,095 times
I took a tour to the 2004 Tour de France. Several tour companies run parallel cycling tours that are structured around the stages and routes. This allows you to ride a particular stage or two the day before the race actually gets to that stage. Or you could ride to the stage start, finish, or intersecting some stage along the route to watch the race. We had two really great days of cycling. One included a cat 3 climb on the next day's stage that eventually had us intersecting the current stage. As were were flying down at some 40+mph the backside of the previous climb, I had to stop and take pictures - just incredible. Another day we rode to the stage start of the Alp d'Huez time-trial. Our 30 mile route to the start was a slightly winding road through several small towns and countryside and had about a 2% grade up to the start. It was just enough that you had to keep pedaling or you would stop, although it seemed essentially flat. After that stage, imagine riding back with a few thousand other cyclists leaving at the same time, and it took us almost an hour to get back to our tour bus. We were on such an adrenaline high when we finished. On one of the other day's rides to a stage start, it started raining on us just a little, after whining for a few seconds about the discomfort, we realized, hey we're in France, in the Alps even - who cares!

Old 02-07-2013, 11:39 AM

180 posts, read 480,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
What is the best bike trip you ever took? Mine was in Alaska, in the summer of 2012. Anchorage, Girdwood, Seward. The Bird to Gird bike trail is absolutely the most scenic route I have ever ridden.

Another memorable ride was when I rode from San Antonio to Corpus Christi. It was probably the toughest ride I ever did, mostly because it was 105 degrees.
OH MY GOSH...YES!!! Did it in 2010. Favorite route....EVER.

Old 02-08-2013, 06:23 AM

733 posts, read 989,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
I took a tour to the 2004 Tour de France. Several tour companies run parallel cycling tours that are structured around the stages and routes. This allows you to ride a particular stage or two the day before the race actually gets to that stage. Or you could ride to the stage start, finish, or intersecting some stage along the route to watch the race. We had two really great days of cycling. One included a cat 3 climb on the next day's stage that eventually had us intersecting the current stage. As were were flying down at some 40+mph the backside of the previous climb, I had to stop and take pictures - just incredible. Another day we rode to the stage start of the Alp d'Huez time-trial. Our 30 mile route to the start was a slightly winding road through several small towns and countryside and had about a 2% grade up to the start. It was just enough that you had to keep pedaling or you would stop, although it seemed essentially flat. After that stage, imagine riding back with a few thousand other cyclists leaving at the same time, and it took us almost an hour to get back to our tour bus. We were on such an adrenaline high when we finished. On one of the other day's rides to a stage start, it started raining on us just a little, after whining for a few seconds about the discomfort, we realized, hey we're in France, in the Alps even - who cares!
Wow, that sounds like a dream.

Old 02-13-2013, 08:59 PM

5,481 posts, read 6,129,052 times
Rode from Ducktown, Tenn to Duck, NC. Just over 600 miles in 4 days. Not much time to look at scenery, but a great ride. Five of us did it with credit cards, cell phones, a light rain/wind jacket, two pairs of shorts and two jerseys for support.
One flat tire the whole way and that was at a lunch stop.

Old 02-15-2013, 11:03 AM

3,082 posts, read 5,450,061 times
My best trip is what I call the 470 loop in Denver. Basically you go south until you hit the outskirts of the city. The highway, C-470 encompasses the metro area. Alongside the highway is a paved bike trail. It takes you through reservoirs, alongside the foothills, and back east to Denver. The entire trip is only about 60 miles, but it is the best I've done.

Another trip I attempted but never complete was Denver to Boulder. Unfortunately, there is no direct route between the two cities. During the trip, I got turned around several times. By the time I had a direct path to go on, I had tired myself out. All in all I think I did about 85 miles that day. Why there is no path alongside US-36 (route between Denver and Boulder) is beyond me. Hopefully one day they will put on in.

Old 02-28-2013, 11:41 AM

9,846 posts, read 22,725,634 times
My favorite is on this:

Pine Creek Rail Trail - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I only ride rails to trails or similar trails and this one is about as perfect as they come and it's close to me. I'm totally opposed to riding on public roads as I have seen too many people end up as a hood ornament.

I also used to enjoy riding the trail through Vail when I lived there. I never did the entire trail over to Breckenridge, but enjoyed the part in Vail.

Old 02-28-2013, 02:16 PM

24,683 posts, read 17,427,197 times
I have never ridden anything epic like a trail in Alaska but I do like exploring.
The first time I rode all the way to the end of the rail trail on Cape Cod was a great feeling of accomplishment until past way back and my legs were like jello...
Another time I took off from my house and found a little trail that I had only heard of in legend and it took me to a really cool collection of bike trails in a state park.
Iti is fun to explore.

Old 03-01-2013, 09:56 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,197,285 times
Moab, the canyon lands, slick rock, elephant hill in to the canyon lands.
2nd the trails around crested butte.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling