Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 12:57 PM

231 posts, read 713,219 times

Advertisements

I don't feel like registering for yet another forum, so I'm starting here...
I'm an adult who's a cycling novice and seeking bike recommendations in the sub-$600 range.

I've ridden a bike maybe 20 times in my life. I never had one as a kid, so most of those rides have been in the past 5 years, since I bought a cheap Schwinn (I guess it's kind of a hybrid, 21-speed mountain bike) from Wal-Mart just for leisurely rides along greenways. The problem is that the rides are anything but leisurely. The bike wears me out, especially on hills (even modest ones). I have out-of-shape acquaintances who can ride their bikes 10+ miles without getting too worn-out, but they have road bikes, and for my needs I'm not sure if that's what I should be looking at.

I guess I want something that's lightweight, easy to pedal and maneuver (that thing people do where they stand while pedaling, or ride with no hands... yeah, I can't do that). Something I can ride on paved trails for now, but when I have the confidence in a few years maybe try on roads. Current bike feels as though it must weigh about 40-50 lbs. or so. If I could find something around half to 2/3 of that weight, it would be great.

Most important is just being able to take it on rides longer than a few miles without dying from exhaustion. I'm in decent shape, so it's mostly about finding the right bike for my needs and having some knowledge before heading to the bike shop.
Please offer any suggestions for bikes I might want to try when I visit shops to test. Saw several bikes from Giant that look promising. Thoughts?

Cheers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2013, 10:31 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,549,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olrac View Post
Most important is just being able to take it on rides longer than a few miles without dying from exhaustion. I'm in decent shape, so it's mostly about finding the right bike for my needs and having some knowledge before heading to the bike shop.
Please offer any suggestions for bikes I might want to try when I visit shops to test. Saw several bikes from Giant that look promising. Thoughts?

Cheers.
Thoughts...? Talk to the local shops and friends who bike for the machine. You want to "take it on rides longer than a few miles without dying from exhaustion"? Only cure for that is to ride, ride, ride. Seriously.

On many a group ride (mtn) there is always some guy on a POS bike who somehow manages smoke the rest of us. Me on my custom $2000 HT, he on some old $500 bike. Moral of the story...it's about the rider more than the bike.

Talk the local riders and shop guys about you needs and goals. Test, ride see what fits and feels good. Allow yourself to spend more than what you dare. You will not regret it.

Old 07-11-2013, 07:06 AM

6,460 posts, read 7,798,579 times
Most newbs (even after they learn it) just can't accept it. It ain't about the bike bro - that's a cliche saying that is very true. It's the engine (another wonderful cliche that is true).

I support you getting a better quality bike but don't expect it to make you faster or get much further. Do expect the feel and fit to be different and (hopefully) more pleasurable/fun.

Don't mean to discourage you. Just swallow the poison and deal with it...then ride. You'll get progressively better and be able to handle the mileage you are after if your work up to it. And BTW, there will always be people stronger than you no matter how you perceive their fitness, measure yourself against yourself - unless you get to a level where you want to start racing. Best of luck and have fun.

Old 07-11-2013, 08:08 AM

2,349 posts, read 5,436,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olrac View Post
seeking bike recommendations in the sub-$600 range.

I've ridden a bike maybe 20 times in my life.
I bought a cheap Schwinn
just for leisurely rides along greenways.
the rides are anything but leisurely. The bike wears me out,
take it on rides longer than a few miles without dying from exhaustion.
I'm in decent shape.
Craigslist.

Old 07-11-2013, 08:47 AM

292 posts, read 891,689 times
Take a look at Jamis bikes JAMIS BICYCLES - ROAD BIKES, MOUNTAIN BIKES, STREET BIKES, SPORT COMFORT BIKES, CRUISER BICYCLES, KIDS BIKES
They build nice bikes and since they aren't a big name you don't have the mark up that you get on Trek and Giant.
I own a Jamis Coda Sport and love it.
While I somewhat agree with the poster that said you need to suck it up and just ride I also believe that a quality well fitted bike can make a lot of difference.
I started riding 3 summers ago on a big box store bike and hated every minute of it. I was lucky to be able to complete a 10 mile ride at an average speed of 8 mph. This summer I'm averaging 25 miles per day at 15 mph. While a lot of the improvement is due to me getting in better shape and getting off my butt and riding I doubt I would have kept with it if I was still on that p.o.s. bike.

Old 07-11-2013, 09:57 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,879,364 times
Sometimes the bike can make a big difference...the hubby's first bike as an adult was a Walmart bike with full suspension. He picked it because it was matte black. He had to walk it up the hills, couldn't keep up with my 5 year old on flat trails, and when we went for even a short ride, he complained that his back was sore and his shoulder was spasming for days. He's proud of being more "in shape" than me but I could ride circles around him. I bought him a Diamondback hybrid for $120 on Craigslist and he can ride for hours now. It has an upright riding posture and 700c wheels but he says the most important thing is that it doesn't feel like he has to fight the bike or drag it up hills.

So it could be the bike, it really could.

Old 07-11-2013, 12:44 PM

6,460 posts, read 7,798,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
Sometimes the bike can make a big difference...the hubby's first bike as an adult was a Walmart bike with full suspension. He picked it because it was matte black. He had to walk it up the hills, couldn't keep up with my 5 year old on flat trails, and when we went for even a short ride, he complained that his back was sore and his shoulder was spasming for days. He's proud of being more "in shape" than me but I could ride circles around him. I bought him a Diamondback hybrid for $120 on Craigslist and he can ride for hours now. It has an upright riding posture and 700c wheels but he says the most important thing is that it doesn't feel like he has to fight the bike or drag it up hills.

So it could be the bike, it really could.
Well, don't take me so literally. Sure it could be the bike. If say a bike is missing it's rear tire then it'll be much slower than one that has a read tire. So yes, it could be the bike I suppose. But one needs to make some assumptions and one of mine was that the bike wasn't making the OP spasm - sounds like a reasonable assumption.

Your husband couldn't keep up with your 5 yr old? I feel like that must not be about the bike. Unles that was a bike that has a broken chain and needed to be carried and weighed 300lbs (minus any water bottles).

Old 07-11-2013, 03:11 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,879,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post

Your husband couldn't keep up with your 5 yr old? I feel like that must not be about the bike. Unles that was a bike that has a broken chain and needed to be carried and weighed 300lbs (minus any water bottles).
My 5 year old was riding three times a day (to school and back, then a 3 or 5 mile ride in the evening) and the hubby was riding once every two or three months. This was the bike: Havoc Full Suspension 26" Mens' Mountain Bike - Walmart.com

This is the bike he's got now: Diamondback Adult Edgewood Hybrid Bike 2013 - Dick's Sporting Goods I thought he was just being a whiny baby about the first bike, but seeing how comfortable he is on the new one, I have to admit it really did make a difference.

Old 07-11-2013, 05:33 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,821,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
My 5 year old was riding three times a day (to school and back, then a 3 or 5 mile ride in the evening) and the hubby was riding once every two or three months. This was the bike: Havoc Full Suspension 26" Mens' Mountain Bike - Walmart.com

This is the bike he's got now: Diamondback Adult Edgewood Hybrid Bike 2013 - Dick's Sporting Goods I thought he was just being a whiny baby about the first bike, but seeing how comfortable he is on the new one, I have to admit it really did make a difference.
I can see there would be so much work involved in just getting the Wallyworld bike to move.

Old 07-17-2013, 02:08 PM

231 posts, read 713,219 times
Appreciate the input!

Just to clear it up, I'm quite sure it is the bike that's primarily to blame, as those that I've rented while on vacation (bikeshares, etc.) do not tire me at all, except on the most daunting of hills. I can ride them for hours and mile after mile. However, those bikes also tend to be fixed-gear, quite heavy, and a little uncomfortable when the surface isn't smooth.

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling