Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2016, 09:09 AM

1,167 posts, read 1,817,281 times

Advertisements

I haven't owned a bike in the past 10 years so I know nothing about this world. I'm looking to get a bike for exercise and recreational purposes. I am an average sized male

What I will be using it for
  • Couple miles rides
  • Concrete/road only
  • Fun

Requirements
  • No real budget but was hoping for something under $150
  • High reliability/low upkeep
  • Lightweight
  • Cell phone holder
  • Misc pouch holder for keys, wallet, cell, etc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2016, 09:56 AM

6,357 posts, read 7,768,830 times
Just a couple of comments to consider; about your requirements. The last two, the cell phone holder and pouch: those would be add-ons. Inexpensive enough, but they will be extra to the cost of a bike. Look for a saddle bag to carry your wallet, keys, etc. Good idea for it to be big enough to carry a spare tube and some tire irons. You will get a flat. The only question is when. Be prepared to either walk home or change the flat on the road. Can't help on cell phone holder. I wouldn't trust any holder with my very expensive cellular telephone.

About "high reliability/low upkeep". All bikes will need upkeep. Just like most mechanical things, they will need frequent adjustments based on how often and how much they are used. On bikes, you'll have braided wire cables. They stretch, and will have to be adjusted. Not often, if you don't ride much. But it is still something that needs to be done on a periodic basis.

You will also have a difficult time getting something highly reliable and lightweight for less than $150. With bicycles, weight and cost have an inverse relationship. It is one of those few things in life that the more you pay, the less you get, (getting less meaning less weight). A $150 bicycle will not be lightweight.

For your budget, I highly recommend making the rounds of the Saturday morning garage sales, thrift stores, and police auctions. That's the only way you'll get what you want for the budget you have. Then, add a bag and phone carrier later. Good luck.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 08-16-2016, 08:30 AM

17,710 posts, read 29,829,274 times
Nextdoor.com
Craigslist.org
+ what volosong wrote

Old 08-16-2016, 09:21 AM

4,385 posts, read 4,389,618 times
My wife also wants a trike. I have looked all over Pensacola and $150 won't touch any of them if you are buying new.
I have found a few that are bare bones basic single speed bikes but not in that price range and I haven't found any used ones in the immediate area.
Good luck with your search and I hope you find one.
You can find the drink holders and cell phone holders at WalMart for very little money btw.
I agree about the spare tube, fix-a-flat kit and tire pump. We used to ride the trails in Fayetteville Arkansa and every week-end saw people fixing a flat 'on the trail'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling