Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2018, 05:19 PM

1,568 posts, read 1,119,835 times

Advertisements

A few years ago I tried looking for cycling meetups and no luck in that department, I ride every other night anyway and people are always telling me to do things I enjoy doing in groups and I would meet someone that way. most other things I enjoy are at home activates. well for a while I tried, recently I tried again to much the same result, every group ride I showed up to was a crap tone of guys only a handfull of females(and most of them were paired off already), I would rather ride by myself than in a group of guys, for the most part. is cycling still that unpopular with women? is it just my area? (ft.worth, tx)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2018, 08:29 AM

1,863 posts, read 1,654,949 times
Maybe organized group rides attract more guys and less solo women for some reason? (I'm not going to posit reasons and start some debate). But how about a more casual setting like bike trails, Greenways, etc. My wife and I go to a local Greenway frequently to ride or run and there are always single (as in by themselves) women and men there. It seems like a more laid-back, natural setting than "potentially" a sea of mostly guys in spandex ready to compete.

Old 02-10-2018, 09:25 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,862,321 times
I think the numbers are fairly equal for men/women cycling. But those group rides to tend towards mostly men. I'm guessing it's because of the perception the rides will be fast and full of testosterone when mostly they are not. Some are fast tempo that's for sure but my experience is that they are mostly social. I do think they cliquish though, so difficult to get into the 'group'. It's too bad as it's a great way to workout and socialize.

Old 02-11-2018, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP2C View Post
Maybe organized group rides attract more guys and less solo women for some reason? (I'm not going to posit reasons and start some debate). But how about a more casual setting like bike trails, Greenways, etc. My wife and I go to a local Greenway frequently to ride or run and there are always single (as in by themselves) women and men there. It seems like a more laid-back, natural setting than "potentially" a sea of mostly guys in spandex ready to compete.
I tend not to see women ridinf much on the trails either. at least at night when I'm riding, I start seeing them popping up on the trails in the mourning but by that time I'm halling ass to get home before the sun comes up.

Old 02-12-2018, 11:32 AM

50,327 posts, read 47,080,006 times
All the events I do here are loaded with very beautiful woman athletes. Takes the agony out of those long hills for sure. I normally train alone but will run into interesting riders occasionally.

Old 02-18-2018, 12:02 AM

2,230 posts, read 1,717,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
All the events I do here are loaded with very beautiful woman athletes. Takes the agony out of those long hills for sure. I normally train alone but will run into interesting riders occasionally.
I'm envious.

Everything is nicer in SoCal.

Old 02-19-2018, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
I'm envious.

Everything is nicer in SoCal.
Same here, socal, Miami, Hawaii all places with an abundance of attractive women so much so that even an average guy has a shot because a woman considered a 6 or 7 in those places is a 9 or 10 anyplace else. sorta like the premise of that show "hot in Cleveland"

Old 05-18-2018, 08:36 PM

18,115 posts, read 15,690,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyphorx View Post
A few years ago I tried looking for cycling meetups and no luck in that department, I ride every other night anyway and people are always telling me to do things I enjoy doing in groups and I would meet someone that way. most other things I enjoy are at home activates. well for a while I tried, recently I tried again to much the same result, every group ride I showed up to was a crap tone of guys only a handfull of females(and most of them were paired off already), I would rather ride by myself than in a group of guys, for the most part. is cycling still that unpopular with women? is it just my area? (ft.worth, tx)
I did a cycling meetup in my area a few times (which is not in TX), and it was more men than women (I'm female), and in reality most of the men tend to be in the 'A' or 'B' groups and most of the women tend to be in the 'B' and 'C' groups with 1 to 5 people in the beginner no-drop 'D' group. The urge to go as fast as possible rather than make them social rides means sausage packs of single file riders working the draft line, with little to no conversation. All groups (except the 'D' group) rode faster than the stated speed for the group. And this was supposed to be a "slow spokes" group, very non-competitive. I didn't find it very friendly and the higher speeds were off-putting since the name of the group implied a more social and slower ride. Since that experience I ride alone since I was essentially 'alone' anyway.

Old 05-22-2018, 07:59 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,565,307 times
Many years ago I rode with a bicycle club up in Virginia. The A/B rides were nothing but men and they rode fast and would drop slow riders in a heart beat. For that reason I rode nothing but C rides which were tailored to the sight seeing crowd and varying distances. There were always women on this ride and I made quit a few friends on them since you could talk while riding and on the multiple rest stops. I do wish there was something like that in the area I live in now.

Old 07-03-2018, 10:49 AM

34,237 posts, read 18,594,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Many years ago I rode with a bicycle club up in Virginia. The A/B rides were nothing but men and they rode fast and would drop slow riders in a heart beat. For that reason I rode nothing but C rides which were tailored to the sight seeing crowd and varying distances. There were always women on this ride and I made quit a few friends on them since you could talk while riding and on the multiple rest stops. I do wish there was something like that in the area I live in now.
This was exactly my experience when I belonged to a bike club years ago. I road mostly B, and B+ rides, and an occasional A, but found them almost like racing. I just stayed in the middle of the pack, and tried not to get in anybody's way. The women on those rides were very, very few, and far between, and you wouldn't want to date them anyway.

My goal was just cycling anyway, as I wasn't looking to meet women, etc., so it was ok. As others have said, you see more women in the C, and D rides.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling