Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2021, 06:56 AM

7,127 posts, read 12,667,756 times

Advertisements

Looking for a reasonably priced, well-made bike rack to fit our trailer hitch on our Civic...

Two bikes to carry. Any recommendations? (no roof racks, please)

Thanks...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2021, 07:08 AM

15,074 posts, read 10,101,447 times
The best one I've found at a great price has been from a little known brand: Allen Sports. In particular their Deluxe Quick-Install Hitch Racks. I have the three bike version. A little basic but it is durable and what it does it does well. The only thing I've noticed is that the hitch itself seems heavier than the other bike racks I've used in past years.

https://allen.bike

Their main distributor seems to be Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/stores/page/F...5&ref_=ast_bln

This is the one I have:
https://www.amazon.com/Allen-Sports-...ef_=ast_sto_dp

Old 03-01-2021, 07:23 AM

7,127 posts, read 12,667,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
The best one I've found at a great price has been from a little known brand: Allen Sports. In particular their Deluxe Quick-Install Hitch Racks. I have the three bike version. A little basic but it is durable and what it does it does well. The only thing I've noticed is that the hitch itself seems heavier than the other bike racks I've used in past years.

https://allen.bike

Their main distributor seems to be Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/stores/page/F...5&ref_=ast_bln

This is the one I have:
https://www.amazon.com/Allen-Sports-...ef_=ast_sto_dp
Thanks!

Old 03-01-2021, 07:29 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,325,075 times
Good way for a minor rear end bump that wouldn't cause any noticeable damage to your car alone, to destroy several thousand bucks worth of bikes. Not worth it in my opinion. Get a roof rack (yes, I know, you said ”no roof racks” but the rear mounted racks are just a bad idea no matter how you cut it).

Old 03-01-2021, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Good way for a minor rear end bump that wouldn't cause any noticeable damage to your car alone, to destroy several thousand bucks worth of bikes. Not worth it in my opinion. Get a roof rack (yes, I know, you said ”no roof racks” but the rear mounted racks are just a bad idea no matter how you cut it).
Sure there is a risk to anything.... not everyone has thousands invested in their bikes and just looking to transport. My petite GF back in the day had difficulties raising bike high enough to get it safely on a roof rack. There's also the cost and hassle of attaching the appropriate racks. If you are an avid cyclist that frequently transport bikes, it certainly can be worth it. For those that are looking for something of occasional use, then a hitch bike rack is a great option. Certainly more secure and easier to install/remove than trunk mount racks. Really into cycling?? A pickup with appropriate bike racks installed in the bed is the way to go.. but again.. cost of pickup/truck ownership.

If they rear end you, their liability insurance should cover the cost of damage to the bikes. Many policies will cover bike racks and bikes under their comprehensive coverage. Other times its covered under homeowners or renters insurance. You have to check with your insurance agent.

Old 03-01-2021, 11:14 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
I don't remember what brand mine is, but it works well except for one thing to watch out for. In order to easily install/remove it there is a bit of slop in the fit into the receiver. We use a couple of strong bungies from the bikes to where the safety chain hook on, so that the bikes don't get bounced about.

Old 03-01-2021, 02:13 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,008,662 times
I purchased this on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00TOLYY76...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It cost a little bit more, but it is a solid rack, with no play in the hitch. I've had it for about 8 months now, leave it on my truck, use it almost everyday and it shows no sign of wear or paint fade.

Its a good rack

Old 03-13-2021, 03:51 PM

3,886 posts, read 3,505,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
You're kidding, right? When is the last time you were rear ended? I can tell you that in 50 years of driving it's happened exactly once, and that was at such a low speed that no damage was done.

Oh, and BTW, if someone did rear end your car and damaged your bikes, that's an insurance claim against them too. So maybe you get new bikes out of the deal.

To top it off, have you ever driven a car with bikes on top into a parking lot with a low roof? I have. Did no favors to either my bike or my rack.

Everything has risks....

Old 03-13-2021, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I don't remember what brand mine is, but it works well except for one thing to watch out for. In order to easily install/remove it there is a bit of slop in the fit into the receiver. We use a couple of strong bungies from the bikes to where the safety chain hook on, so that the bikes don't get bounced about.
Many hitch bike racks have a "no wobble" bolt to take up the slack at the receiver. The Allen one I linked has one but it is a feature many brands have these days.

the only thing about the no wobble bolt is that it isn't a quick release. So it requires a wrench to put on and off the rack itself. Definitely something to consider when shopping though.

Old 03-13-2021, 05:19 PM

3,886 posts, read 3,505,394 times
The Kuat Sherpa rack has a big knob that moves a wedge to stabilize the rack. Works well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling