Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2021, 07:16 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,310,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
The little nut or the post it sits on will bend. The little nut also falls off. They just wear out if you air-up every ride.
Well, your experience is your experience but in 40+ years of riding bikes with Presta tubes (often with the very thin tubes that will leak down overnight) I honestly don't remember ever having a problem with the valves. The nuts don't fall off if you tighten them hand tight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2021, 08:50 AM

6,357 posts, read 4,175,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Well, your experience is your experience but in 40+ years of riding bikes with Presta tubes (often with the very thin tubes that will leak down overnight) I honestly don't remember ever having a problem with the valves. The nuts don't fall off if you tighten them hand tight.
I believe cheesehead is referring to the valve stem as the threaded post does bend easily, however if you are careful when opening and closing the valve, it will last and I’ve never had one come off. I’m often adjusting air especially with my tubeless setup before every ride and I’ve had zero problems with the stem.

Old 06-22-2021, 09:47 AM

Well, anything CAN be damaged if you're bound and determined to. My advice would be "put the pump on and take it off carefully, don't bang things around."

Old 06-22-2021, 02:54 PM

2,474 posts, read 2,693,917 times
Quote:
Are you talking about the nuts on a treaded valve or the nut that seals the valve stem? We might be talking apples and oranges.

Old 06-22-2021, 02:55 PM

2,474 posts, read 2,693,917 times
Quote:
Well, anything CAN be damaged if you're bound and determined to. My advice would be "put the pump on and take it off carefully, don't bang things around."
Poop happens.

Old 06-22-2021, 03:54 PM

I don't know what nut you're talking about. Are you talking about the nut that seals the valve? Never had one of those fail, and they certainly don't "fall off" - because the end of the valve stem is upset so they can't come off. Or are you talking about the nut that secures the valve body to the rim? Never had one of those fall off, either.

You have to use caution and pull the pump straight off. If you twist the bejeezus out of it and don't keep it straight, I suppose you could bend the valve body. Solution: don't do that.

Old 06-23-2021, 06:13 AM

Here is a photo of a Presta valve and the large silver nut gets lightly tightened by hand to keep the valve body snug to the rim. The brass colored nut up top is turned in order to open or close the the stems passageway in order to pump air in or to release air.

It’s the stem that projects out of the valve nut that can easily get bent !

Last edited by Rickcin; 06-24-2022 at 07:21 AM..

Old 06-23-2021, 09:14 AM

Well, I guess if you're a hamfisted type that bangs and slaps every mechanical device and drives all controls to their limits at full force, you could consider the center stem "easily" bent. All I know is that I've been putting pumps on and off of those kinds of valves regularly for over 40 years now and haven't bent one yet.

Old 06-25-2021, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Well, I guess if you're a hamfisted type that bangs and slaps every mechanical device and drives all controls to their limits at full force, you could consider the center stem "easily" bent. All I know is that I've been putting pumps on and off of those kinds of valves regularly for over 40 years now and haven't bent one yet.
Personally, I’ve never had a problem, however I helped other bikers who have bent their stems and it’s a commonly discussed item on mtn bike forum site’s especially those new to biking.

Last edited by Rickcin; 06-24-2022 at 07:21 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling