Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2023, 11:30 AM

23,587 posts, read 70,358,767 times

Advertisements

Mod cut: Orphaned (quoted post has been deleted).

Feral dogs and unsupervised packs are a problem in the country. In Alabama, dogs and dog packs have become so lethal a problem that people have been killed and FINALLY a law put in place making dog owners criminally responsible. The issue with dogs going after the easy targets of people on bikes is just the tip of a much larger problem.

I had a paper route as a kid. Surprisingly, the only dog that ever gave me a problem was a yappy ankle biting Scottish Terrier, and that was when I came to the door to place the paper or get paid. That family's paper stopped being delivered to their door, and was then tossed on the lawn (wet or not) instead. Had the dog gone after me on my bike while I was juggling loads of papers, I would have had football practice without regret. In a case like that, where injury is likely if nothing is done, and owners are irresponsible, immediate action is needed. FWIW, that pet owner had other pets that I'll just say seemed "not normal."

Last edited by PJSaturn; 03-19-2023 at 04:49 PM..

Old 03-18-2023, 06:16 PM

25,939 posts, read 22,089,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I had to start carrying a handgun when riding early morning. This idiot neighbor of mine let his Doberman out every morning and they had to come running out to stop it as I had to dismount and use my bike as a shield as it was trying to take me. I even told them that if it happens again I'll legally shoot it.
We have a Belgian Shepherd in the neighborhood being kept by a very uninformed dog owner. It is terrifying to go by the house wondering if it will some how get loose. The neighbor that lives behind her has to mow the grass close to her property line, and he told us that he carry a weapon. He is older, and I don't blame him. It is a dangerous dog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Good one! He made life easier for every other cyclist or walker in that area.

For dogs that have not emerged from their yard but are about to, a quick zap or two with the stun gun (NOT the same thing as a Taser) works well. Some dogs need more than one or two to change their pea brains about attacking. Do whatever it takes to stop them.

To be absolutely clear, you do not need to make physical contact between stun gun and dog. Even from 20 feet away, the sight of the “lightning bolt” and the sizzle sound seems to elicit a primal fear of nature’s more violent phenomenon.

If worse comes to worst, hold the stun gun on the dog and press the ON button for several seconds to stun it. Do whatever you need to make it fear for its life against YOU, the enraged would-have-been victim. If you have a real gun, use it if the dog tries again.

That kind of dog is not fit to be loose in any setting.
Actually, that "quick zap or two with a stun gun isn't that effective if a dog is aggressive, as I have been there! I have encountered aggressive dogs: 2 pitbulls at once, siberian husky and an Australian Cattle dog, all of which were so focused on attacking my dog(s), and the pitbulls were VERY fast, as even once they arrived from the yard, yelling STOP (I did realize flying the flag of Mexico in their yard, the dogs may not have known STOP), but the static close to them would stop them for a couple of seconds. It seemed like forever, but was probably about 2 or 3 minutes before someone from the yard decided to come and call them away.

I also would discourage anyone from trying to stare down an aggressive dog.

Most places have leash laws, and reporting the dog is the best way to go. After I reported the Siberian Husky and learned it was not the first report, the people moved away within a very short time. Another city, animal control said to call it in every time to make it easier for them to take care of the problem.

CALL Animal Control and make a report, as if the dog is aggressive, you may help save the life of a child. I found this story about a local incident with 3 Rotts that killed a little boy that was waiting for the bus, and the owner went to prison!

https://leerburg.com/rot-kill.htm

"In Junction City, Kansas, Sabine Davidson was charged with reckless second-degree murder. On April 24th, 1997, three of Davidson's four Rottweilers killed 11-year-old Christopher Wilson as he waited for a school bus. On January 15, 1998, I testified for 2 1/2 hours for the prosecution in this case."

She got 12 years in prison, as she had been told, more than once, to keep the dogs confined. I never understood why the neighbors did more strongly insist that something be done. It is a horrible story to read, and the dogs just sound feral to me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
Many states make it unlawful to leave the scene of an accident where an animal has been injured.
Yeah, we have that. People still do it. Animal Control picks them up, and the city shelter patches them up. Some have a very long rehab. I think many here are just thrown from the car when they are dumping them though. Appears to be an issue with pit fighting, and in KS, well, some places don't want to do anything about it - cultural thing.

Old 03-19-2023, 06:24 PM

44,347 posts, read 20,047,057 times
This thread has been cleaned up, deleting several vile posts about torturing dogs, as well as posts which were off-topic or orphaned. Folks, this is the Cycling forum, and comments should relate directly to the opening post.

The thread will remain closed.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling