Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2022, 09:30 PM

3,006 posts, read 1,491,619 times

Advertisements

This inner burb doesn't have trails. In warmer weather I sometimes rode buses to trails, but that became less attractive with mask requirements on buses in summer heat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2022, 12:32 PM

3,886 posts, read 3,500,919 times
Bike path? Bike trail? What are those?

In my area, there are a few rail trails. Unfortunately, they're managed by snowmobile clubs for snowmobiling. You can imagine what the surfaces are like in the summer!

Fortunately, we have wonderful back roads with little traffic, and what traffic we have is very bike friendly. It's very hilly though, more so than two mature senior retirees can handle on regular bikes, so we bought good ebikes last spring. Our favorite ride, part paved, part dirt/gravel road, is about 18 miles, passes by 5 lakes, and has a great lunch stop at the 1/2 way point. Often we only see 3-4 cars the whole ride.

SW New Hampshire is loaded with great rides if you can handle elevation.

Old 02-21-2022, 05:28 PM

13,062 posts, read 7,497,585 times
Bicycle Capital of the Northwest, Redmond WA.
We got a velodrome. Rail-to-Trail, Sammamish River - Burke-Gilman/Seattle Trail water level. Still investigating road and trail system.

Old 02-14-2023, 07:02 AM

97 posts, read 104,021 times
I just started doing some trail videos of the riding around my town because I believe to to be so good. It’s nothing crazy just normal trail riding really.

Work safe

https://youtu.be/59JxhfQyawg

Old 03-03-2023, 04:10 PM

501 posts, read 776,237 times
San Antonio has developed a phenomenal system of greenway trails, mostly paralleling creeks, thus minimizing vehicular interactions.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/17Fm...3q_C72yuK/view

Old 09-11-2023, 02:01 PM

977 posts, read 517,163 times
I live in Little Rock, Arkansas. It is hands down the most dangerous place I have ever biked. Sidewalks are few and far between, the streets have no shoulders, and the hills are more like mountains. Combine that w/ the most clueless vehicle drivers on earth and you have a disaster waiting to happen.

I'm moving to Columbia, SC to get away from all that. My biking is always commuter style on eBikes, and I do get on sidewalks (slowly) to get me away from the cars that are driven by people who are staring at their phones, not the road. Designated bike lanes spook me. I don't trust them, they give you a false sense of security.

Florida had sidewalks that were wide and smooth, and due to the heat, there was never anyone actually walking on them. That state had great roads pretty much all through it. I was marooned in Tucson during COVID, and very much disagreed w/ the people who said it was a great place to bike. It was one of the worst places. The roads have pot holes within the pot holes. Just awful street upkeep, and they don't even grade a street to repave it, they just put asphalt over the existing crappy streets! The vehicle drivers were first-time student drivers, the elderly, and most were stoned AND on their phones. I can't tell you how many times I watched a car slowly come to a stop sign, only to inch forward and basically park in the middle of the intersection while the driver typed in a text.

Old 09-17-2023, 09:09 PM

10,300 posts, read 6,818,131 times
"San Luis Rey River Trail" in Oceanside, Ca.

Old 09-18-2023, 06:46 AM

9,439 posts, read 5,201,523 times
I will not ride on the roads here in rural VT. I see people smoking pot and drinking while they are driving. Not to mention, the ubiquitous texting. Occasionally I will have to cross a stretch of regular road but I don't do any mileage on them.

We have an amazing rail trail system here that is perfect for my needs, although it was damaged in our floods, but I feel quite safe on it and can enjoy the ride.

Old 09-18-2023, 10:14 AM

11,085 posts, read 17,532,479 times
"Approximately 100 miles of trails and 200 miles of scenic roads lead to some of the most wonderful spots at Land Between the Lakes National Recreation Area."

https://landbetweenthelakes.us/seend...e-bike-trails/

I've talked to people who have hiked and biked some of these trails and they say the scenery and trails are amazing. Said they were glad they took their cameras.

This is in western Kentucky, between Kentucky Lake and Lake Barkley.

Old 09-18-2023, 10:29 AM

5,451 posts, read 6,036,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWgal View Post
White Rock Lake here
I used to spend two weeks every summer in Richardson. I rode the path system to White Rock on my road bike every day, and then circled White Rock to get my 50 or 60 miles in. The only day I skipped White Rock was to join the Richardson Bike Mart A group evening ride maybe Tuesdays or Thursday. Seemed like there was some fast 15 year old kid named Lance something or other that was always trying to get away from the front group. LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling