Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness > Daily Exercise Journals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 05:54 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,169,334 times

Advertisements

good morning everyone

with the weird weather and heat that has been visiting all of us I though hmmm
lets make today a day to

"laugh and have fun"

you all have been working so hard, it is time for a special day

so put the exercises on a shelf and tell us what your going to do to laugh and have fun

I was laughing this morning over at chaos's house, he has found a new favorite
Ice cubes !!!
I gave him one the other day now when I am there he nudges the big cup I take everywhere and sits and waits for me to pull a ice cube out

I started laughing thinking I am going to have to tell his "dad" or he will wonder why chaos is sitting in front of any drink glass he is holding

see lol it is the simple things that sometimes just make us chuckle

So , how will you laugh & have fun today ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2008, 06:08 AM

4,279 posts, read 10,375,300 times
What is it with dogs and ice cubes? Hours of fun!

Well, we've got an outside wedding to attend today. Unfortunately the big black clouds are moving in and they've forecasted some nasty thunderstorms for the whole afternoon. I'm keeping my finger's crossed and hoping for the best.

Hope everyone has a wonderful lazy day!

Old 06-14-2008, 06:30 AM

tet make sure to take an umbrella

we will send you all of our sunshine

Hmmm Today was actually the original date for my nieces wedding

Old 06-14-2008, 06:36 AM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,297,138 times
Tet, I hope your car problems and your weather turn bright and sunny.

Karla, You might want to tell Chaos's dad about the new habit. I'd hate to see him take the glass away from his dad for his ice cube! That's the way you are - spoil the babies!

Once again, too late, Karla. I did 45 min. on the bike today. DH started out with me, but it was his first excursion, so he only did 15 minutes. It's a start.

Help, folks. I don't know what to do about our neighbors and their health issues. Am I butting in? I don't want to overstep my bounds, but I don't see their kids stepping up to the plate here. Maybe they are, but Millie hasn't told me so. I know she appreciates it when I call. Any ideas????

Thanks. YOuse guys is da bestest.

Old 06-14-2008, 07:02 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,279,021 times
Morning peeps!

Karla, I am going to take you up on your offer to give it a rest today. Fighting with my MIL's crappy old lawn mower yesterday has made me very sore today. Next time I will take my mower.

LOL on the ice cubes. My last dog was addicted to them and would beg them off of strangers. Imagine having a 130 pound dog that you don't know trying to tell you it needs an ice cube......

Pattie, if you feel like you need to do something perhaps you could call your neighbor's children & make sure they are aware of what is going on. It may be that they have not been told there are issues. I know my grandmother, at 93, is still fiercely independent and always tells me everything is fine. Even when I can't get an answer on her phone & I call the lobby only to be told that she is in the hospital she will tell me she is fine.

Shadow & I did manage to walk about 3 houses up the street this morning. She asked to come home and I did not argue. Maybe I will go back to bed.

Old 06-14-2008, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoresnow View Post

Karla, You might want to tell Chaos's dad about the new habit. I'd hate to see him take the glass away from his dad for his ice cube! That's the way you are - spoil the babies!

He though it was "strange" when I taught chaos to sit and wait for me to wipe his face after he had a drink
I can just see his reaction when chaos wants to sit and have a drink with him

Help, folks. I don't know what to do about our neighbors and their health issues. Am I butting in? I don't want to overstep my bounds, but I don't see their kids stepping up to the plate here. Maybe they are, but Millie hasn't told me so. I know she appreciates it when I call. Any ideas????

Thanks. YOuse guys is da bestest.
[quote=Racelady88;4101040]Morning peeps!

Pattie, if you feel like you need to do something perhaps you could call your neighbor's children & make sure they are aware of what is going on. It may be that they have not been told there are issues. I know my grandmother, at 93, is still fiercely independent and always tells me everything is fine. Even when I can't get an answer on her phone & I call the lobby only to be told that she is in the hospital she will tell me she is fine.
QUOTE]

you can also approach the children on the "pretense" of making sure they had your number in case they were unable to reach their parents
this may open up a dialog with them

As you know I have an elderly couple across the street that I help out at times
their daughter who lives in S fl is the type that avoids any issues
the last time her dad was taken to the hospital she avoided the calls her uncle(her dads bil) has made to tell her
I have the BIls number if I need a point of contact

Old 06-14-2008, 08:59 AM

19,922 posts, read 11,062,745 times
Good morning everyone,

Restarting my exercise program in earnest this morning, weighing in at 266.5. I considered Tim Russert a personal hero and his loss at 58 years of age (I'm 56) is shocking and tragic. Sunday mornings will never be the same.

Heart disease is preventable and can also be reversable and I am officially off my butt and working.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoresnow View Post
It's a tough situation in which to find yourself and with a disease like Alzheimers, the boundaries are always moving. I don't know how close you are with Millie. If I were a close friend, I would sit down with her and tell her what I knew about Alzheimers and how she needs to begin building her support team today! That support team should include her children, her family physician, any ancillary support that she already has (such as social workers or therapists), any clergy member she feels close to, if appropriate, etc. She should also consider finding the next meeting of the Alzheimers support group in her area and going - either by herself or with someone.

I don't mean to sound dramatic here, but having had a front row seat for twelve years of caring for my mother, I can tell you that there are two phrases used to describe Alzheimers that are absolutely correct. They are "The Long Goodbye" and "Death in Slow Motion". There are both tragically accurate.

Millie will need to learn about things like living wills and healthcare proxies. Millie - or someone like a competent child - will need power of attorney to protect their father. I found that anyone who came to my mothers door telling her that she needed a new roof or help with her trees or any other kind of "service" was given a check made out to cash and in most cases, this "service" person was never seen again. I eventually had to remove the checks from her house and manage her affairs from 35 miles away - visiting very often. I left an allowance of money in her house, but after a while, she could not remember where it was ... and after her neighbor started stealing her money and her jewelry and other things out of the house, we realized that she really could not be alone anymore and we finally placed her in Assisted Living. $6,000 a month, but it's the best decision we ever made.

I am very sorry to have rambled on like this, especially in a thread entitled "laugh and have fun", which is the way to live! The road ahead is for Millie is long, twisted, confused, emotional and ends tragically. She will need tons of support from wherever she can get it. Starting with the kids is the right idea. Good luck.

Charley

Old 06-14-2008, 09:10 AM
JnR

1,709 posts, read 852,087 times
Good morning everyone! A beautiful day here today, my brother and his kids and my Dad are on their way here to spend the weekend with us. Tomorrow my hubby's family will be here too, we should have about 16 people for a BBQ and fun. I baked cupcakes and oatmeal/cranberry cookies and my Dad just informed me that he is bringing boysenberries over to make a boysenberry cobbler... yummy!!! I think the only part of my body exercising the next couple of days will be my jaw from talking and eating. LOL

I think Charley (and others) have covered the basics on how to help the elderly neighbor out. I would add that she probably appreciates any help or company that you can provide, so if it were me, I would give my time to helping her as long as it does not interfere with your family needs. It is a great thing we can do to help our fellow human beings when we can.

Have a great weekend all!

Old 06-14-2008, 09:30 AM

sounds fun JnR what time should we all be there

Old 06-14-2008, 09:46 AM

19,922 posts, read 11,062,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JnR View Post
Good morning everyone! A beautiful day here today, my brother and his kids and my Dad are on their way here to spend the weekend with us. Tomorrow my hubby's family will be here too, we should have about 16 people for a BBQ and fun. I baked cupcakes and oatmeal/cranberry cookies and my Dad just informed me that he is bringing boysenberries over to make a boysenberry cobbler... yummy!!! I think the only part of my body exercising the next couple of days will be my jaw from talking and eating. LOL
Sounds like great fun. I love BBQ! Enjoy a wonderful day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness > Daily Exercise Journals