Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Daily Journals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2007, 11:42 PM
jco jco started this thread

2,121 posts, read 6,450,924 times

Advertisements

Good morning everyone! I hope everyone is having a restful weekend. Today, in addition to presenting the food list, we'd like to know what your food weakness is and what's your alternative to eating it. To me, one of the hardest parts of a healthy lifestyle is actually resisting strong food cravings.

My weakness is sweets. Some healthier alternatives I've found: bowl of berries, honey roasted almonds, peanut butter/banana/honey sandwich, vanilla yougart, a cup of coffee or tea.

Fabulous Food Fact: Food manufacturers often disguise MSG as an ingredient by using clever code names, including: rice syrup, corn starch, and sometimes seasoning. For more, visit the source (http://www.naturalpath.com/natural_living/avoid_msg_in_your_food - broken link).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2007, 08:05 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,615,450 times
Same here jco...... when it comes to sweets as if i'm not careful i could binge on a whole carton of Chocolate Chip Mint icecream......

One thing i really like for something sweet is Frozen Blueberries as it tastes like Blueberry icecream so that helps on those occasions and the Phyto nutrients in Blueberries are so powerful so i think i'm going to have some with my Cage Free Eggs now........

Pointer: Most Carotenoids a phyto nutrient in most orange color foods....Mangos, Cantalope, Oranges/Tangerines, Carrots etc these are fat soluble so add a little bit of fat like olive oil to help them get absorbed into the body...

Old 08-19-2007, 08:28 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,157,785 times
'morningggggggggggggg

Well today I already had 1 cup of coffee with sweet & low and my 1% bit of milk. THEN I made a, get this - a Whole Wheat, double fiber, mozzarella cheese and tomato, sandwich, all toasted a little! WOW! I feel like I haven't had a thing to eat, so I may, no, WILL, hit a piece of cheesecake in a minute.

I developed a sweet tooth a few years ago, unfortunately, about the same time I went into menopause. That is over but the sweet tooth isn't.

I eat yogurt and bananas and oatmeal most every day, but I must have something sweet 2 or 3 times a day. I am really going to have to start changing my habits. It's showing! :-)))

Old 08-19-2007, 08:40 AM

4,610 posts, read 11,100,293 times
Good Morning!!

I've made a lot of alternatives choices to just about everything I eat!!!

As far as alternatives for my cravings (snacks) go:

I bought these natural fruit popsicles to curve some summer ice cream cravings I was having. They are real good.
Oh, and instead of potato chips, I pop popcorn in an air popper and I don't put salt on it, I just spray some zero calorie butter spray on it.
I also bought some "mini size" Dark chocolate and I eat one or two of them a day (great antioxidant too). I prefer milk chocolate but I altered it to dark because they are better for you (in moderation).

Old 08-19-2007, 09:10 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,230,359 times
Morning!

Hmmm, my alternative is to just have a bite or two, rather than deny myself and then need to eat a whole bag of Hershey's miniatures or a whole dozen donuts. I have found that a bite or two will almost always satisfy the craving.

today I have had 2 cups of hot tea and a toasted rasin english muffin with a couple of slices of deli ham.

Old 08-19-2007, 10:00 AM

I didn't read vp's post before eating breakfast, so I had disgusting flax seed, organic, wheat waffles.

Great suggestions! I completely forgot about fruit popsicles... I used to eat those as an alternative, too. I love the pointers, 6 foot 3, keep them coming! Evey... I wish I had as much discipline as you! I don't stop at a bite!

Old 08-19-2007, 11:48 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,230,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jco View Post
I Evey... I wish I had as much discipline as you! I don't stop at a bite!
Sometimes I don't either. but I don't say "Oh well, I have blown it for today so I will eat some more junk". I enjoy every bite, then go back to paying attention.

Old 08-19-2007, 01:05 PM

17,833 posts, read 33,112,598 times
Hi all
Went out for breakfast we do this every sunday we meet friends.
Had 2 eggs hashbrows,bacon and a bagel
unsweet iced tea the caffeine got me going.

lunch well I was full from breakfast so passed.

snack a banana and a plum.

about 3 waters. so far

dinner thawing some Italian sausage for hubby
I will be having turkey tenderloin lol you guessed it I don't do Italian sausage.

now as far as "what's the alternative to your weakness" mine are sweets and pizza and french fries. I am a carbaholic but I have been that way forever and the DR says I am very healthy so if "it ain't broke" ....
My sister jokes that if I was to cut out carbs my body would probably freak out.

I don't avoid my weaknesses I just have a little, a few M&Ms instead of handfulls, a few fries. pizza well lol we are still working on that.
I actually have found since starting this gym/diet/water instead of diet soda thing I really am not craving the sweets as much.
Plus I really think the busier I have become the less time I have to sit and "graze" on the afore mentioned stuff

karla

Old 08-19-2007, 09:32 PM

292 posts, read 993,489 times
I can really identify with blue furry guy from Sesame Street. Cookie!

700ml of water
32oz of coffee
12oz of milk
two granola bars
a bannana
an orange

1/2 slab of lamb ribs
a chard and carrot salad
750ml of water

a piece of chicken
some marinated vegetables
new potatos with onions
argula(sp?) salad
glass of water
cooked zucchini
broccoli
a handful of peanuts
a handful of blueberrys
homemade chocolate brownies made with applesauce
a couple of handfulls of trail granola mix
some kind of vegetable mix
another kind of vegetable mix
a cup of coffee

No it was not Thanksgiving, just a few friends having dinner.

Then on the way home two bottles of Sam Adams Lager at the local pub.

Old 08-19-2007, 11:14 PM

For lunch (birthday party): water, pasta salad, black olives, carrots, broccoli, and cucumbers, watermelon/canteloupe/honeydew fruit salad. For dinner: chicken lasagna and handful of almonds. Apple chips for a snack (another dessert alternative for me).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Daily Journals