Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Daily Journals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 01:24 PM

7,573 posts, read 10,617,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Rath you would like my chili. It is ground beef and and not much chili powder and chopped onions. We eat this on hot dogs. I use 93% beef. Anything leaner and you have to add oil to cook. This makes a really dry chili, but that is how we like it.

My meatloaf, when I ever cook it, is just meat, and chopped onion, green pepper, and shredded carrots and potatoes. Sometimes I will add tomato paste or canned tomatoes or tomato soup, but not always.

I don't think I have ever had a black bean. I know they are supposed to be the best. I have had a 15 bean soup, maybe had black beans in it. I am the country girl pinto and navy bean person. I prefer them together cooked with a piece of side meat and a whole onion to cut down the acid and served with hushpuppies from the oven, not deep fat fried. Of course you take the onion out before serving. We call these soup beans. I prefer the soup to the beans. I like these so much I wish I could eat them every night, but they really put on the pounds.

Lunch was a few raw nuts
turnip greens
hushpuppies--I do hushpuppies instead of corn bread because it is easier to point. 4 hushpuppies=three points. Most restaurant hushpuppies are one point each.

Izzy, when I was working in Waxhaw, I had potato soup many times for lunch. They put shredded cheese on just before serving. Yum! Yum! That place is not longer there. Shucks!

Lunch is over, back to housecleaning. Girls come Friday.
I want to try those hushpuppies NCN but not sure which ones. Aren't there different kinds?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2008, 06:37 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,621,789 times
Yes, Jeannie, there are different kinds of hushpuppies. If you really want greasey ones go to Captain D's. LOL We buy ours at Harris Teeter. They are in the frozen food section. I think the name is McKenzie's. I just bake them in the oven. I am really not into greasey hushpuppies. Do you bake cornbread? Hushpuppies are a variation of corn bread dropped into deep fat and fried. I don't think I had ever had a hushpuppy when I got married. I can't remember when I had the first one, but fish camps usually have them as the bread. Mr. VA likes corn bread very thin so it is just like two crusts together. Hushpuppies have a lot of crust also. When it is just the two of us eating, I can just bake the number we will be having and not have all that cornbread left over.

I had a good dinner. You are going to wonder why I think that. It was just what I wanted.
3 slices honey ham
15 baby carrots
Little Debbie Raisin Cake
Coffee and milk

I was just about too tired to eat. We went to the aquatic center weight room and worked out for about an hour and then went grocery shopping. I am just about finished for the day in energy, but have much more to do.

Enjoy your boys this weekend. Good night everybody. Lacey keep bringing those recipes. You really do this stuff right. Rath stay off that foot and Izzy keep breathing.

Old 10-16-2008, 08:24 PM

72,410 posts, read 18,198,148 times
Thanks for the hush puppies knowledge! didn't know there are so many varieties!
Let me write it down so that I will remember to get some or make some

We have a lot of mexican food here with black beans,they are good. I just don't eat a lot of it.can't see myself getting real fat.

Very hot today. right now I have my air condition on and wearing shorts,can you imagine this stupid weather?

Stir fried chinese style sliced beef and onions with noodles

good night!

Old 10-16-2008, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VillageLife View Post
Thanks for the hush puppies knowledge! didn't know there are so many varieties!
Let me write it down so that I will remember to get some or make some

We have a lot of mexican food here with black beans,they are good. I just don't eat a lot of it.can't see myself getting real fat.

Very hot today. right now I have my air condition on and wearing shorts,can you imagine this stupid weather?

Stir fried chinese style sliced beef and onions with noodles

good night!
night Izzy. Try and stay cool. So my boys didn't leave NJ until 8:30 this evening. About an 8 1/2 hour drive so won't arrive until about 5 a.m. Going to be a long night for me until they get here. Night all!

Old 10-16-2008, 11:17 PM

72,410 posts, read 18,198,148 times
Oh,gee try to sleep a little Jeannie!

Old 10-17-2008, 12:21 AM

6,848 posts, read 11,799,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VillageLife View Post
I had a potato soup last night,potato soup is great! I decided to finish it this morning.

Not trying to hijack y'alls thread here... but since you've all made me hungry with all the great food you're having, I'm taking the liberty!

Potato soup.... I love potato soup... do you have a recipe you can share???

Thnx!

Old 10-17-2008, 06:36 AM

2,449 posts, read 5,948,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2sa View Post
Not trying to hijack y'alls thread here... but since you've all made me hungry with all the great food you're having, I'm taking the liberty!

Thnx!
Not hijacking at all, New2sa! Welcome. Come and go as often as you like. Unfortunately, as much as I like to cook, since I'm in a much warmer climate (desert-like), I don't do a lot of stew or soup cooking. But the ladies on here have a plethora of recipes. And most are healthy and tasty!!

Welcome again!

Old 10-17-2008, 06:59 AM

Quote:

Thnx!
We love a hijack. Anytime new2sa. I requested a soup recipe on today's thread. Now I'm hungry.

Old 10-18-2008, 01:41 PM

6,848 posts, read 11,799,357 times
Thanks all, for the nice welcome!

I'm afraid y'all eat a LOT more healthy than I do (noo wayyy would I post it here )... but as I should... so, am learning a lot just by lurking!

Enjoy!

Old 10-18-2008, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Thanks all, for the nice welcome!

I'm afraid y'all eat a LOT more healthy than I do (noo wayyy would I post it here )... but as I should... so, am learning a lot just by lurking!

Enjoy!
Oh sure. As I'm sitting here chomping on my Pepperidge Farm Milano black and white cookies. We all try to do our best and eat healthy but some of us, like me, have our off days and its okay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Daily Journals