Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Daily Journals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 01:33 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,621,789 times

Advertisements

Lisa, that is incredible that you didn't need heat. Our heat pump ran almost constantly. How do you heat when you heat? What is your temperature there now? Maybe we should build a house like that. I don't really understand your house, so I was a little concerned about you on the side of that mountain. I know how isolated it can get up there. We used to live in the middle of 100 acres. We got electricity when I was five years old and used a springhouse before then to keep milk cool. It was a good life.

If you ever want to see the place where I lived, you can travel "the scenic" to the Northwest Trading Post and turn right on the little road that crosses over the Parkway, Old 16 highway (I had to learn to call it the Parkway because the people down here have no idea what "the scenic" is.) and travel down the dirt road until you get to pavement. Any time you get to another intersection just keep right. Our place (still in the family, but not mine) is about 1/10 mile on both sides of the road going from the top of one hill to the top of the other hill. You probably will not be able to figure out exactly which place I am talking about, but you will get a general idea from just traveling the road. This road comes back onto Highway 16 right at the bottom of the Deep Ford Hill. If you turn right there, you can go back to the Parkway on the better road or turn left on 16 and go to Highway 421. We call where we lived "the sticks." LOL

BTW another landmark for our family. If you stop at the Jumping Off Overlook on the Parkway right past Highway 16 coming from Boone, not old 16, and take the trail to the overlook at the end, and look at the mountain to the far right and see one hill that has a place at the top where there is a clearing, that is where my Dad was born. At least there used to be a clearing where the pasture was. I haven't been there since I was a teen. To get there you have to walk a mile up a steep hill or have a jeep. Does that sound familiar?

Last edited by NCN; 01-19-2009 at 02:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2009, 02:15 PM

72,411 posts, read 18,198,148 times
Lacey,I hope you are able to move to a warmer climate! too cold for me out there!

coffee
egg whtes on wheat
grapes

Chicken enchilada
Hot tea

Old 01-19-2009, 03:04 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times
NCN- Be careful with your finances. Now is not the time to do anything risky. IMO, we are not at the bottom yet. We sold our last house in FL 4 years ago and we have been sitting on the sidelines since. We built our house as a safe haven in case the world went "crazy" lol. We built a berm home which is covered on earth by 3 sides. Our exterior concrete walls are 10 feet tall and 10 inches thick. The inside of our house stays between 58 and 62 degrees all year with no heat and no a/c. We have a propane fireplace in case we need any extra heat. We never use it at night.

Someday when it is nice and we have spare time we will have to take a road trip and see where your family is from.

I'm glad you lost weight but I am so sorry how you lost it. Take care of yourself and the hubby.

Lacey- We do not use geo-thermal. Our house is a work in progress and we are learning as we go.

I really hope you can sell your house this spring and move to a warmer place closer to your own family.

Old 01-19-2009, 05:16 PM
NCN

Bowl of corn flakes with sugar and milk
2 slices ww
2 small slices liver pudding

I have already had too much but if I get hungry again I will have baby carrots and 1/2 cup grape juice with diet ginger ale.

Lisa, I have been trying my best to do nothing. It is very complicated. I have talked about it too much already without knowing what I am talking about.

Old 01-19-2009, 05:48 PM

7,573 posts, read 10,617,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
Hi everyone,

I fell off the wagon over the weekend so now I am putting it behind me. I gained a little of my lost weight back. I was eating really healthy but maybe a little too much of the good stuff.

I'm back on track today. Fiber One and strawberries early and then 2 egg whites later.
Lunch will be salad stuffed in a mini ww pita.
Lisa, thats what is important, just getting yourself back on track. Lord knows, I'm doing it all the time. I have to learn how to handle my stress productively and not with food. That is my long term goal for 2009.

Old 01-19-2009, 06:05 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeannie216 View Post
Lisa, thats what is important, just getting yourself back on track. Lord knows, I'm doing it all the time. I have to learn how to handle my stress productively and not with food. That is my long term goal for 2009.
My problem is boredom. I love the outdoors. I would be happy just picking up rocks around our property. Winter kills me.

Old 01-19-2009, 06:46 PM
NCN

Jeannie, have you seen the forecast. S-N-O-W!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did your children bring their sleds? They will be very popular if they did.

Last edited by NCN; 01-19-2009 at 08:09 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Daily Journals