Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Daily Journals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 03:52 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,889,282 times

Advertisements

Good morning-Feb. is more than half gone now and March is in our sights.

Hamburgers were well recevived last night.

Have the chiroprator at 9-cannot wait to get things back where they belong.

If Mr. L feels up to it he will come with me and maybe we'll have a late breakfast/early lunch out.

Breakfast-yog/fruit

Lunch-maybe out

Dinner-pork chops, baked potatoes and veggie.

Happy Monday all-and spring is not far off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2010, 06:49 AM

13,608 posts, read 5,401,512 times
Happy Monday!

As always, our weekend was pretty busy. Went swimming with Miguel on Friday with DH and yesterday with my parents. Miguel loves water so the public pool is just his thing lol And I'm glad I can squeeze in some swimming. I can feel that it's really good for my back and knees.

Nothing planned for today so I'll go over to my parents with Miguel. Anyhoo', he has a costume party at the day nursery today and I'm all excited how it went. He doesn't like costumes so I only bought him a red cape with a hood and small horns and I painted him a small beard and black eye brows. He is such a cute devil but I guess he was a litte scared of himself )

Breakfast: 1 slice of w/w bread with cream cheese, salami and cheese
Snack: 1 vanilla yogurt
Lunch: ground meat fried with white cabbage along with potatoes
Snack: some grapes

Have a great start into the week!

Old 02-15-2010, 06:55 AM
NCN

21,667 posts, read 25,695,185 times
Good morning. We are off to the pool in a few minutes.

Coffee and milk
vanilla yogurt
banana

Lunch will probably be breaded fillet of flounder, hushpuppies, turnip greens--if we stop and buy some.

We usually just snack for dinner since lunch will be so late.

Monday43° / 24° Tuesday44° / 24° Wednesday46° / 25° Thursday46° / 29°

Cold rain for us today and snow in the mountains.

Old 02-15-2010, 07:22 AM

I am on the verge of a breakdown!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The impatient Mr. L ventured to get the paper from the driveway and fell and I mean fell hard. I have never screamed so loudly or so much-----thank God my neighbors ran over and we took blankers and pulled him back in the garage. I am shaking so badly.

She's a triage nurse and checked him but we have to get to be checked as ribs may be broken plus hit head hard.

I need strength!

Old 02-15-2010, 08:03 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,470,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaceyEx View Post

The impatient Mr. L ventured to get the paper from the driveway and fell and I mean fell hard. I have never screamed so loudly or so much-----thank God my neighbors ran over and we took blankers and pulled him back in the garage. I am shaking so badly.

She's a triage nurse and checked him but we have to get to be checked as ribs may be broken plus hit head hard.

I need strength!
Strength, most certainly headed your way, dear, for you and your husband. Sometimes, I think when things happen to our loved ones, we're worse-off in some ways because we stress and worry ourselves half-to-death. I will be thinking of you, and Mr. LaceyEx. You must let us know how this goes.

Old 02-15-2010, 08:29 AM

72,478 posts, read 18,230,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaceyEx View Post

I need strength!
Oh Lacey! you need strength! stay calm,we are praying for Mr L.

Old 02-15-2010, 08:32 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,470,291 times
Default Chicken-and-rice soup

Here in Rdslots Land, I have been on a real soup binge. I think it's because of the cold weather, and the most unusual (for us) snowfalls. We hunker down, if we have to, and eat soup.

I have really mastered the art of chicken soup, if I brag on myself. I used to love my grandmother's chicken-and-rice soup, so I started trying to make a pot myself, and have really done pretty well it. I start by stewing a whole chicken, in about 6-8 cups of water. To the pot, I add the usuals: large chunks of carrot and celery, a large onion, some fresh garlic, fresh rosemary and thyme, from my somewhat pathetic herb garden. I stew the chicken just until tender, and then pull it out of the pot to cool, and remove the meat from the bones. I strain the stock through a sieve to capture the vegetables, and then put the stock in the fridge so I can skim the fat off the top after awhile. (The skin from the bird, and the fat, as well as the now-mushy carrots, I save for the dogs' kibble -- adding just a TBS or so at mealtimes.)

In a large skillet, I'll use maybe 1-2TBS of the skimmed chicken fat to saute 2-3 sliced carrots, 2 stalks of celery, sliced (I include the leaves of the stalk as it looks 'pretty' in the soup), and a large chopped onion. On another burner, I am heating the stock, and I add about 1/2 of the chicken meat (chopped or shredded into bite-sized pieces). I season the stock with marjoram, summer savory, sage, a dash of allspice, and salt and pepper. I use my garlic press to add two pieces of a fresh head of garlic. I then add (1) box of Uncle Ben's original white, and wild grain, rice. I also add the seasoning packet, and let the rice cook for about 15-20 minutes, adding the vegetables I have sauteed. At the end, I add a 16 oz. box of chicken stock, and let the soup simmer until I serve it. It will feed a crowd, or I'll easily have enough soup to share with a neighbor, and still have two meals (for the two of us).

I saute the carrots, onion, and celery because sauteing releases the sugar in the onion, and helps the carrot and celery retain its fresh color. I add the boxed stock at the end, just so I am certain to have enough in the soup, but you could just as easily add another two cups water, I'm sure.

I want to keep playing with the basic, and start trying the soup with noodles, or other things. I'll bet it'd even make a nice, hearty, cream-of-chicken soup, too -- just puree it all at the end.

I wish I could learn how to make the pastry my Grandma Daisy did, so I could make a chicken-and-pastry dish. Any tips? I never have learned how to make pastry, not even for my pot pie.

Old 02-15-2010, 02:43 PM

Oh dear ladies and friends-I am back home without Mr. L-he is a guest again at the hospital.

I had to call 911 as we could not get him out of the chair to go to doctor. 5 EMT's were here in minutes and gave him shots for pain and stabilized him. Off to the ER, our surgeon met us there and ordered CT scan and x-rays. He has 6 broken ribs!!!!!!!! Thank God nothing punctured the spleen and all vital organs okay.

Have a headache of epic proportions and told him I was framing the newspaper as the most expensive paper in history.

Thank you NCN,Izzy and RD!!!!!

Old 02-15-2010, 06:54 PM

72,478 posts, read 18,230,294 times
I am sure you had a great headache! take care of yourself,you had enough!

Old 02-16-2010, 01:42 AM

13,608 posts, read 5,401,512 times
Judi, I just saw, what happened over at your place! Thank God nothing was punctured. I guess Mr. L is not allowed to get the newspaper anymore. I hope your headache is gone!

RDSLOTS - the chicken soup sounds yummie. We do it similarly over here but instead of a whole chicken, we use only the legs. There's so much more meat on them than on the bony bodies lol

Snacked a lot yesterday afternoon. DS brought a donut from the day nursery (left overs from their costume party) which I finished off in seconds. It was delicious. And my grandma sent self made fritters from which I also had 4 pieces. That explains why no dinner was required lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Daily Journals