Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 09:43 PM

101 posts, read 289,185 times

Advertisements

I have heard so many cities tossed around on the forum that I wanted to know what people thought about the top 5 cities in the Dallas area. What confuses me on the Dallas forum is that you don't hear any cities listed consistently. For example, on the Houston forum when you ask for the best cities in Houston you get almost all the time Katy, Spring, and Sugarland.

So I am asking Houston to please compile a list of just the top 5 cities in Dallas for Schools and just family appeal to them. I also would like for the cities to be diverse.

Thank you Dallas for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2010, 10:00 PM

4 posts, read 13,236 times
Southlake would top the list when it comes to quality schools and place to raise a family. But would be at the bottom when it comes to diversity.

Old 07-01-2010, 10:16 PM

3,260 posts, read 8,765,323 times
Plano, McKinney, Southlake, Highland Park, and Frisco

Old 07-01-2010, 10:30 PM

5,447 posts, read 7,743,493 times
I would take McKinney and Frisco off that list and replace them with Coppel, Grapevine and Colleyville

At least when it comes to school performance. Both McKinney and Frisco schools seem to lag behind other area schools with similar demographics when it comes to things like average SAT scores.

Plano would be the most diverse community on the list. It's high schools are enormous and reported to be pressure cookers when it comes to academics. Lots of extremely demanding Asian families live there and really push the academics.

Southlake and Highland Park would be the least diverse. Highland Park is really a super-rich enclave inside Dallas so isn't really a suburb like the others on the list.

Old 07-01-2010, 11:42 PM

101 posts, read 289,185 times
Thank you all for the help. Even if the school is slightly lagging behind still list them, especially since I am looking for that diversity. Unfortunately you can't get everything 100% in this world, so I have to give alittle to gain alittle. Thank you again Dallas.

Old 07-01-2010, 11:49 PM

14 posts, read 126,943 times
my family is moving to plano next week. the schools are diverse, and the academics are rigorous. the test scores and universities accepting plano students are surprising when you see the area - it doesn't look like richardson or mckinney. it is not a white flight city. i hate to sound jaded, but i had not expected to find diversity, extracurricular programs and academic excellence in the same school system, but i found it in plano and signed a lease with no further questions asked. my job offer was quite a bit north, but heck, i'll commute.

Old 07-02-2010, 11:10 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,166,264 times
Lakewood (a "virtual" small town in the big city - on many of our t-shirts and other neighborhood items we use "Lakewood, Texas") in East Dallas. The others are not really cities they are suburbs. Some of them used to be towns out in the country years ago.

Old 07-02-2010, 11:18 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,468,083 times
Kyla - what is your dream demographic/economic breakdown for school populations?

Old 07-02-2010, 11:36 AM

217 posts, read 1,045,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Lakewood (a "virtual" small town in the big city - on many of our t-shirts and other neighborhood items we use "Lakewood, Texas") in East Dallas. The others are not really cities they are suburbs. Some of them used to be towns out in the country years ago.
Way to throw in a snide little comment instead of injecting something useful into the conversation. Can't be a city and a suburb at the same time, huh? McKinney is the county seat of Collin county and was incorporated in 1848. Dallas was incorporated in 1856. Hmmm.

To the OP, we need a price range for housing and where you will be working. Without that it's hard to recommend a place that will fit your family. Dallas proper has pretty poor schools overall. Their magnets are good but they can only accept so many kids. You'll find good diversity in Dallas for sure. Plano and Richardson have excellent schools and are pretty ethnically diverse. Southlake, Grapevine, Colleyville, Frisco, and Allen are going to be pretty white. Their schools are less established and a little hit and miss. They have some good schools and some less than good schools.

Old 07-02-2010, 11:45 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,889,306 times
1st) Plano, Richardson, Coppell, Lakewood
2nd) Grapevine, Colleyville, Garland
3rd)Flowermound, Frisco,Allen, McKinney
Highland/University park as others have said not diverse and $$$ not many can afford it
Southlake same HP not as $$$ but simiular to West plano and father out more of a Ft worth suburb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas